Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

West Michigan has lost a legendary media personality...

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

West Michigan has lost a legendary media personality...

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:07 pm

I am disheartened to report that the G.R.E.A.T. Daryl Nathan, popular downtown G.R. arts festival performer and public access TV star, has passed away from diabetic complications at the way too young age of 54. His funeral occurred last weekend, I believe.

R.I.P. Mr. Nathan. Loved watching you on TV some 25 years ago.

TC Talks

Re: West Michigan has lost a legendary media personality...

Post by TC Talks » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:39 am

He died on Aug 1. A bunch of my GR friends were really bummed about it.

Rick Becket used to make fun of him but there certainly was some genius going on there.

One of the p.a.'s at WGVU was a producer of his show and has transferred many of his songs over to youtube.

Daryl Nathan will live on!

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:25 am

I wish we had more video footage of his live performances at the Arts Festival on YouTube. I've only found one video (about 2:30 in length) so far.

Indeed, there is a TON of footage from his public access TV tapings on YouTube.

Steve Dirksen

Post by Steve Dirksen » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:24 pm

Len O'Kelly posted a nice tribute to him on Linked in.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:58 pm

I will have to turn the basement upside down and look for the half-hour of cable access I have of The Great Daryl Nathan.

His passing has brought his "International Lover" back to my consciousness. It is a double-edged sword, the viewing of those performers who were, in the nicest sense, "unusual," that came our way thanks to WKTV, or GR Public Access. You had to admire their tenacity to get the show out there for us to see.

If the guy who did public affairs treatments, a skinny redhead who spoke in a tight-lipped falsetto is still out there, God Bless You and thank you, too.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:08 pm

You can find many of his songs - including that one - on YouTube. They were directly recorded from his public access show.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic