Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

DX in reverse?

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
ADD in TC

DX in reverse?

Post by ADD in TC » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:27 am

Sunday,at around 1:15,while listening to 98.9 WEMP over the Tune in app,the music I was hearing suddenly was replaced by a statical signal from the Air One network.Tried to listen TOH ID at 2 PM but the static became to great plus, I was working in a noisy environment.

I have no clue wether or not Tune in just retransmits audio from off the air.My first thought this may be 98.9 WAWM Petoskey as I have received WEMP many times here in Traverse City when the Petoskey station was silent.

Turkeytop

Re: DX in reverse?

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:42 am

ADD in TC wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:27 am
Sunday,at around 1:15,while listening to 98.9 WEMP over the Tune in app,the music I was hearing suddenly was replaced by a statical signal from the Air One network.Tried to listen TOH ID at 2 PM but the static became to great plus, I was working in a noisy environment.

I have no clue wether or not Tune in just retransmits audio from off the air.My first thought this may be 98.9 WAWM Petoskey as I have received WEMP many times here in Traverse City when the Petoskey station was silent.

You can't get DX or any radio at all with a app.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:47 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:42 am
ADD in TC wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:27 am

It’s called internet radio you Douche Bag and it is still radio but on the internet. Of course you can’t DX on the internet, but who DX’s nowadays with all the electrical interference and a million translators on FM. Thank God for digital internet radio. Over the air radio is dying a slow death.
Last edited by Deleted User 15342 on Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

ADD in TC

Post by ADD in TC » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:57 am

I realize this, I was just wondering if this app was picking up a Dx signal off air.

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:58 am

ADD in TC wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:57 am

I realize this, I was just wondering if this app was picking up a Dx signal off air.
You have to forgive Turkeytop he’s an idiot.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:11 pm

Hey Lucky,
Why don't you sign on to the internet entertainment Message Board and leave the Radio ones.??? :eek
You will be happy there ! I love radio, long wave, short wave and microwave, not so much the internet but is serves a purpose too, differently !

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:27 pm

I suppose that someone locally could be sending the signal to the website via their own on-air reception. That could be entirely feasible.

Especially if they are somewhere on the north or south end of the lakeshore coverage of WEMP, it would be VERY much expected to pick up Petoskey as my own reception at my sites on the west shore of the lake show. It's common even in Milwaukee.

Plus, conditions over the weekend were quite intense along the shores too (more Saturday than Sunday, but I'm sure it carried into Sunday as it was still very strong Saturday at sunset). It was pretty tough to hear Michigan signals at my Silver Lake and Ludington sites. Even the Ludington and Manistee locals were being trashed, including WMOM right in their own backyard by both Chicago and Suring. Fond du Lac was smothering 97.7, 98.7 was being walloped by WMDC, and the Sheboygan and Sturgeon Bay translators were in solid (I have some clips I could post of those).

So yes, if it is being broadcast from over-the-air by a regular listener or employee onto that website, it is ABSOLUTELY possible. You could ask them. A station like WEMP would surely reply to you.

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies, the 3-hr. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, 6-hr. 500 Top-of-Hour IDs, and Chinese FM at www.chriskadlec.comTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. ]

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:34 pm

k8jd wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:11 pm
Hey Lucky,
Why don't you sign on to the internet entertainment Message Board and leave the Radio ones.??? :eek
You will be happy there ! I love radio, long wave, short wave and microwave, not so much the internet but is serves a purpose too, differently !
I’m on a lot of message boards. And I do love radio and I intend to stay on Buzzboard(the last time I checked this board is for anything radio which includes internet radio.) But you do have to admit that broadcast radio is in trouble and something needs to be done in order for it to survive in the digital age. If nothing is done to save AM and FM it will die.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:04 am

An odd thing is that at one point on Saturday night, WRVM's rebroadcasters on 90.9 (WYVM) and 100.5 (W263BQ) in Sheboygan were actually rebroadcasting WMOM and not WRVM. I have audio of 90.9 WMOM.

Also, Manitowoc has two new translators on 97.1 (rebroadcasting 980 WCUB) and 107.9 (rebroadcasting 1240 WOMT). I've gotten both in Manistee since they came on.

In Manistee, I picked up the 101.7 translator from Milwaukee, as well as the 99.9 translator from Racine, Star 105.5 from McHenry County, and a sizable number of Chicago sticks (87.75 WRME, 92.3 WPWX, 97.1 WDRV, 97.9 WCKL, 99.5 WUSN, 101.1 WKQX (locked in HD for a while on my Sangean HDR-16!; analog was still WIXX), 101.9 WTMX, 103.5 WKSC (mixing with 100kW local WTCM), 104.3 WBMX, 105.1 WOJO, 105.9 WCFS, 106.7 WPPN).

ADD in TC

Post by ADD in TC » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:45 pm

For those that do not know,Tune in is a phone App that transmitts audio from thousands of radio station from around the world.

I probably should have used a different title in the subject line.

l guess my main question is,how does Tune in receive the audio from all these stations?It would seem like it would be over the internet.In the case of the above mentioned WEMP though,it would seem like Tune in somehow receives their signal off the air.

statmanmi

WEMP! Re: DX in reverse?

Post by statmanmi » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:56 am

Hi ADD in TC,

I can’t speak to how streams make it into the TuneIn app, as I’ve always declined to pursue installing it whenever a station’s link launches into the Apple App Store on me. There’s probably insight available from Wikipedia or some other Googled-up site. Your hypothesis about it being someone’s OTA capture has validity in my mind.

But your reference to WEMP caught my eye! I’ve been occasionally listening to them. My wife and kids fear I’m aging more rapidly of late to now be seeking out Easy Listening...but hey, so be it. I grew up with my father often having WITW Cadillac on in the family sedan.

The WEMP website provides a “Listen Now” button, which ultimately launches to this url address:

http://us7.maindigitalstream.com/2915/?pl=vlc&c=WEMP

I’ve found this works fine in the Safari browser in iOS. And also in the VLC media player on all platforms I’ve tried, via pasting it into the Network -> Open Network Stream page.

Cheers! ~~ Statmanmi

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:06 am

Tune-In is fantastic.
It actually picks up the FM signals and not a station's streaming service

Music is my life.

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:05 am

Tunein is internet radio and does use the stream of radio stations. You’re possibly thinking of NextRadio that does use an actual local radio signal.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:51 am

The application for WEMP uses an alternative prediction method for the Section 73.333 70 dBu over Two Rivers. If they pick audio up off air with the rest of the cluster from a location in Two Rivers, the signal is probably fairly weak, and being close to the shore, very subject to tropospheric effects over Lake Michigan, particularly from WJML...WKLZ...WAWM 98.9, which is also fairly close to Lake Michigan.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:14 pm

I'm often surprised at how unsophisticated off air antennas for stations are. You could actually build a better antenna that would work much better in rejecting cochannel and first adjacent channel interference, which often happens this time of year. It used to be really bad when analog TV stations brought in program sources off air. A well designed phased stacked array of well designed antennas work better than just throwing multibay stock antennas together. Some FMs have even taken signals like from EAS primary stations with nondirectional antennas. This has become more problematic because of all the decades of stations resulting from Docket 80-90, plus all the translators now. We see this from our fellow poster who DXes mainly across the Great Lakes with just a portable telescoping antenna. So we know the signals are there.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic