Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Whitmer Misses The Mark

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Rate This

Re: Whitmer Misses The Mark

Post by Rate This » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:58 am

audiophile wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:46 am
Rate This wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:47 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:41 pm
Rate This wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:38 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:31 pm
This one in all his various user ids has met my ignore requirements.
You talking about lucky615 I take it?
Yes, and GG, and UP906. They seem to flair up like a rash during the election cycle.
I've noticed.
How long were you MIA?
July to January I think? But I had a lot of personal issues going on and needed a break. I like you guys but it was time to turn inward.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:53 pm

audiophile wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:36 pm
From FB

Jim S
Yesterday at 3:58 PM
Thank you to everyone for your support and prayers while I was extremely ill and hospitalized due to COVID-19! It truly means the world to me. I am continuing to recover and be treated at home. I’m praying all of you, and your families, remain healthy and safe during this challenging time.
As a COVID-19 survivor who is currently recovering, I believe it is important to share my story publicly so others have hope. The sad reality is Michigan’s Governor, Gretchen Whitmer, is failing the people of the state of Michigan. Rather than leading and making good choices that will help our wonderful people during this horrible COVID-19 situation, she continuously chooses to engage in partisan politics. That must end now.

On March 18th, I had a sudden onset of severe respiratory and cardiac issues. I immediately went to the hospital and they did a COVID-19 test. Despite my test being marked as a priority, I did not receive the test results until the evening of March 22nd. While waiting for the test results in the hospital, my breathing continued to worsen as treatment was received. Without having the COVID-19 test results, the wonderful and hard-working doctors basically have their hands tied as certain medications (i.e. steroids, etc.) can potentially make COVID-19 worse. On the morning of March 21st, I was not doing well and it was a major struggle to breathe. Feeling like I was slowly drowning, I honestly believed I would not live to see midnight. The x-ray that morning also showed my condition was worsening, including some collapsing in the lungs. Luckily, the infectious disease physicians decided to try a non-approved, experimental combination (Hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin). This is the same treatment President Donald Trump recently mentioned at a press conference and continues to be attacked for. After my first dose, I had a major improvement. My gasping for air stopped, and I was in tears of happiness due to having hope restored. I finally felt I would beat COVID-19 and it was no longer beating me. On March 22nd, I remained about the same. However, March 23rd brought a significant improvement. I continued to recover and was miraculously able to go home on March 24th to continue the treatment.

There are a few important things I believe the public needs to know. One is the treatment that President Trump recommended worked for me and saved my life. It also appears to be helping others. As a result, I believe we can all have hope! However, I sadly just learned that Governor Whitmer has once again made a terrible decision. According to the Detroit News, her Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs sent a letter threatening all doctors and pharmacists in Michigan who prescribe or dispense Hydroxychloroquine to treat COVID-19. The letter threatens administrative action against the licenses of doctors who prescribe it. It also instructs pharmacists to ignore physician orders for this medication. This is unacceptable and I’m confident Governor Whitmer, and her administration, will be responsible for many deaths and much suffering. I highly recommend she stop the politics, and not discourage doctors from using treatment they believe may work. It could be a matter of life or death for numerous patients.
As for the COVID-19 testing, we can do better. On March 24th, after hearing my story, a friend recommended I talk to a local company whom she heard had COVID-19 tests. I spoke with ProMed Rapid Testing of Southfield, Michigan. They were kind enough to drop off a sample to my home yesterday. I tried one and had the results in minutes. It showed I had IgG antibodies in my system, which apparently means I had the virus and successfully beat it. I was told these exact tests are being used in 67 countries around the world and they cost under $50. What really upset me the most is they apparently contacted multiple state and regional government and health system agencies over the past month about these available test kits.

I believe Governor Whitmer should've taken advantage of these tests rather than sitting and blaming the federal government. In my situation, doctors could’ve had immediate test results so they would’ve known what they were dealing with. These immediate test results are essential to early detection and effective treatment.

I also learned on March 25th, through multiple news sources, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) did not receive a request from the State of Michigan for federal emergency funds. While Governor Whitmer was going on national television to engage in partisan politics, she should’ve been working with her team and had the application submitted long ago. Michigan topped 2,200 cases and at least 43 deaths on March 25th. On that same date, the Governor's spokeswoman told the Detroit Free Press that state officials were "reviewing and looking into" a request to FEMA. So, while Michigan ranks fifth in the nation for total coronavirus cases, and does need federal assistance, Governor Whitmer failed to complete the process and instead opted to wrongfully point the finger at President Trump.

Overall, the COVID-19 situation should not be about partisan politics. Our elected officials, who work for us, must lead effectively and do what's in the best interest of all people. Governor Whitmer has not done this. Instead, she continuously makes very poor decisions and puts politics before people. As a COVID-19 survivor, I believe Governor Whitmer needs to start acting in the best interest of the people here in the great state of Michigan. Instead of pointing the finger at others, she needs to look in the mirror. It is not too late for her to set partisan politics aside and start making good choices for us all.
I'm quoting the lead post of this thread. Turns out it was true - doubles your chances of survival and the Governor was VERY WRONG by threatening doctors. The Henry Ford study is out:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 365090002/

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

F-Squared

Post by F-Squared » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:05 am

MWmetalhead wrote:Bars in college towns, Grand Rapids, and Royal Oak should be forced to close.

I agree; the shitheads at Fifth Avenue in Royal Oak and Harper's in East Lansing have ruined it for everyone. More than 100 new cases have been traced to Harper's.

Generation Z = irresponsible douche bags.
Believe me when I say that most of gen Z does not give a crap about going outside and doing things right now. Most of the people old enough to even go to bars are millenials and up anyway. The spreading of the virus can't be pinned down on any one generation. It's just all of them.

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:20 am

F-Squared wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:05 am
MWmetalhead wrote:Bars in college towns, Grand Rapids, and Royal Oak should be forced to close.

I agree; the shitheads at Fifth Avenue in Royal Oak and Harper's in East Lansing have ruined it for everyone. More than 100 new cases have been traced to Harper's.

Believe me when I say that most of gen Z does not give a crap about going outside and doing things right now. Most of the people old enough to even go to bars are millenials and up anyway. The spreading of the virus can't be pinned down on any one generation. It's just all of them.
That’s true, Gen Z are living in mom and dads basement. Order their food from Grub Hub and play video games all day and just don’t have jobs. So you’re correct F-Squared. Gen Z are all lazy asses most don’t even care to have a driver’s license.
Last edited by Deleted User 15342 on Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

F-Squared

Post by F-Squared » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:22 am

Lucky615 wrote:
F-Squared wrote:

That’s true Gen Z are living in mom and dads basement. Order their food from Grub Hub and play video games all day and just don’t have jobs. So you’re correct F-Squared. Gen Z are all lazy asses.
Just so you know I'm part of Gen Z and I fully agree with that. I will say though I'm looking for a job at the moment so hopefully that bit changes sometime soon.

Edit: and for clarification, no I'm not even old enough to move out yet so the reason why I haven't moved out isn't because I'm broke, although I'm not saying I'm not broke either.

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:29 am

F-Squared wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:22 am
Lucky615 wrote:
F-Squared wrote:

That’s true Gen Z are living in mom and dads basement. Order their food from Grub Hub and play video games all day and just don’t have jobs. So you’re correct F-Squared. Gen Z are all lazy asses.
Just so you know I'm part of Gen Z and I fully agree with that. I will say though I'm looking for a job at the moment so hopefully that bit changes sometime soon.

Edit: and for clarification, no I'm not even old enough to move out yet so the reason why I haven't moved out isn't because I'm broke, although I'm not saying I'm not broke either.
Good for you. You’re an exception to the rule. I have grandchildren all but one are lazy asses, I blame their parents because they weren’t brought up that way.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:19 am

F-Squared wrote:

The oldest gen z is about 25 right now.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

F-Squared

Post by F-Squared » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:21 am

Matt wrote:
F-Squared wrote:

That's true, which is why I said most aren't able to drink and thus can't go to bars. That's a 4-year group of people out of a 20 year long generation.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:34 pm

Matt wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:19 am
F-Squared wrote:

I’ve heard 1995, 1997, 1998 or 2000 as a start... I’ve always used 2000 myself...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:32 pm

I erred in referencing "Gen Z" exclusively.

I should've simply referenced adults between the ages of 20 and 30. Basically, the oldest portion of Gen Z and the youngest portion of the millennial set.

F-Squared

Post by F-Squared » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:13 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:I erred in referencing "Gen Z" exclusively.

I should've simply referenced adults between the ages of 20 and 30. Basically, the oldest portion of Gen Z and the youngest portion of the millennial set.
Still you can't really blame it on the young people. It's also the older people who are going outside, so really, it can't be pinned down on any single group of people.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:06 pm

A lot of folks in the medical community and the governors of California, Texas and Florida seem to agree millennials are a big problem at the moment.

They are not social distancing, they are not wearing masks, they gather in large groups often, and then they visit their parents or grandparents while asymptomatic but contagious.

It was Gen-Z and millennials who were packed in like sardines at those bars in East Lansing and Royal Oak. Both businesses should be fined harshly for clearly ignoring capacity limitations.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:45 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:06 pm
A lot of folks in the medical community and the governors of California, Texas and Florida seem to agree millennials are a big problem at the moment.

They are not social distancing, they are not wearing masks, they gather in large groups often, and then they visit their parents or grandparents while asymptomatic but contagious.

It was Gen-Z and millennials who were packed in like sardines at those bars in East Lansing and Royal Oak. Both businesses should be fined harshly for clearly ignoring capacity limitations.
They’d also be the two groups most likely to say “I’m invincible”...

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:59 am

The young think they're invincible and don't think they'll get it and are spreading the virus around. And I also think that those that do COVID parties should be arrested which why would anyone want COVID anyways that is risking lives along with going to the hospital as well idiots & morons.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

F-Squared

Post by F-Squared » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:59 am

MasterB wrote:The young think they're invincible and don't think they'll get it and are spreading the virus around. And I also think that those that do COVID parties should be arrested which why would anyone want COVID anyways that is risking lives along with going to the hospital as well idiots & morons.
Can you name of one instance where a "COVID party" has happened in the state of Michigan? Because this is news to me.
MWmetalhead wrote:A lot of folks in the medical community and the governors of California, Texas and Florida seem to agree millennials are a big problem at the moment.

Don't forget that there's still some older people who are far-right Trump supporters who still believe that the virus is a hoax, that wearing masks is something the government is using to put us in line and that they shouldn't have to wear one, and that they think social distancing is military protocol that they're using to order us around. They exist. And that's why you can't blame the spread on any one demographic. They're all for blame here.

Additionally, I recommend you both look at this article about a study conducted by the BBC about which demographics are contributing to the spread and how: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... estaurants

Here's one important excerpt from that:
What we have found in this data is that adults aged 20-50 make most of their contacts in workplaces. If those of us who can work remotely start doing so now, it will contribute to lowering overall transmission in the population. Another important finding is that people over 65 – who are particularly at risk from severe Covid-19 illness – make over half of their contacts in other settings (not home, school or work), such as shops, restaurants and leisure centres.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic