Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WTCM-FM 103.5, etc.

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
NMCSpeaks

WTCM-FM 103.5, etc.

Post by NMCSpeaks » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:59 am

Is there truth in that these stations have been quietly placed “on the block”?

If so, this would be H*** and a Major Change in the the radio landscape in Northern Michigan for years to come.

TC Talks

Re: WTCM-FM 103.5, etc.

Post by TC Talks » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:42 pm

It was no secret that Townsquare was up this spring. I don't think there are any Beidermen's interested in running the company. Revenue has likely taken a dirt drive avec COVID-19. But I have no idea about any plan.

The bigger question; will the asking price be like NBI's to the point that no one will want the properties? They are the best group in a declining Medium.

The Overheard In Traverse City on Facebook gets more daily impressions than most of those stations in the group combined, and Facebook users are much cheaper to reach. Even better, no salesperson, traffic problems, or inventory problems.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Deleted User 12047

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:03 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:42 pm
The Overheard In Traverse City on Facebook gets more daily impressions than most of those stations in the group combined, and Facebook users are much cheaper to reach. Even better, no salesperson, traffic problems, or inventory problems.
You're some kind of marketing whiz kid... what's the ROI on Facebook advertising? Do you get response for local advertisers? What's the impact of the growing advertiser boycott from companies upset at Facebook's policies?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:59 pm

Um, Facebook marketing delivers significantly more response for event based activities than radio. If I sell a service or product:

A) Who cares if response is local?
B) With 2 Billion users, am I concerned about 3 - 5 million boycotting users? Traffic isn't going away
C) Facebook is more than just one platform, just as Google is more than the search engine.

Radio's ROI is not trackable. I can track every single purchase or action with digital marketing, even the Ticker if I wanted a "local" medium.

I used to buy radio in 75 markets in 37 states. Trust me when I tell you it's lost a competitive position for almost all industries.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

NMCSpeaks

Post by NMCSpeaks » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:05 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:59 pm
Um, Facebook marketing delivers significantly more response for event based activities than radio. If I sell a service or product:

B) With 2 Billion users, am I concerned about 3 - 5 million boycotting users? Traffic isn't going away
C) Facebook is more than just one platform, just as Google is more than the search engine.

Radio's ROI is not trackable. I can track every single purchase or action with digital marketing, even the Ticker if I wanted a "local" medium.

I used to buy radio in 75 markets in 37 states. Trust me when I tell you it's lost a competitive position for almost all industries.
Amen.

Deleted User 12047

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:33 pm

Couple of thoughts -
TC Talks wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:59 pm

I care if I am a car dealer, local restaurant, concert venue, hair salon. If I have an ice cream store in Onaway I don't want to pay to reach FB users in Guam.
My question wasn't about users, but about advertisers. Major advertisers are at least ANNOUCING that they are not buying FB ads anymore.
True and there are a lot of different other platforms. I have a friend in the hair business who spent a great deal of money with Yelp on an event and gathered NO new customers. Now, Yelp isn't Facebook but the salon did much better getting new customers with an ad in the weekly alternative paper and a short radio schedule to back it up.

Radio's ROI is not trackable.
One of radio's many flaws. I can track every single purchase or action with digital marketing, even the Ticker if I wanted a "local" medium.

The Traverse Ticker seems to be an interesting attempt at local digital content and marketing. I"ll bet it's a good source of home buyers especially summer home buyers

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:38 pm

I'm sorry your stylist friend doesn't know how to smo. That cute story has nothing to do with the power of digital media. If she knew how to target properly, she could have only paid for some 35- 65 in the three county area. Just like the ice cream parlor or anyone.

I've seen business owners get taken for $20,000 from local radio with nothing to show but the bill. I reviewed it for him, the p.o.s. sales rep took that guy for a ride, charging fix position drive time rates for board rotation schedules. Again, no Herb Tarlicks in digital media.

Car dealers spend $300,000 annually. They are everywhere, but I assure you they spend half what they used to on radio.

― Noam Chomsky

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:03 pm

If true, the Biederman family couldn't have possibly picked a worse time to be sellers. Only way it makes sense to sell now is if they have an option agreement in place from pre-COVID where a "put" can be exercised.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:15 pm

John DeGroot got out at the right time, and stayed out. Del Reynolds got out at the right time, but then "they pulled him back in". Now it appears like the Biederman family business is likely leaving RADIO after 80 YEARS in Northern Michigan.

I think that WWRM...WSRT 106.7 may sign back on July 4 or thereabouts, with a lease arrangement if they haven't consummated the sale yet. Has anyone heard? Doesn't show the consummation on CDBS.

Notable quote:

"RADIO ISN'T DEAD, BUT IT IS IN THE PROCESS OF BEING MURDERED".

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:09 pm

I thought I read somewhere on a thread in here that the 106.7 deal closed May 31st

― Noam Chomsky

Deleted User 12047

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:28 am

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:09 pm
I thought I read somewhere on a thread in here that the 106.7 deal closed May 31st
It's license renewal time, no deals will be consummated until licenses are renewed...
Northern Broadcast, in their application to renew the license for WSRT wrote:Due to financial difficulties which have precluded operation, WSRT has been silent from
December 9, 2019, until the present time. It is, however, planned that the license for WSRT will be
assigned to MacDonald Garber Broadcasting, Inc. pursuant to an application for consent to assignment
of license, File No. BALH‐20200228AAS, granted May 28, 2020. Because of the proximity of the grant to
the renewal filing deadline, however, it was not possible for the buyer to fund the acquisition and for
the closing to take place before the renewal filing deadline. It is planned that the station will return to
broadcasting upon assignment of the license, which will take place as soon as possible following license
renewal.
I'm sorry your stylist friend doesn't know how to smo. ... If she knew how to target properly,
I find it funny that you blame the business owner in the first paragraph and the radio salesman in the second.
I've seen business owners get taken for $20,000 from local radio with nothing to show but the bill.
I've seen a small hair stylist get taken for a lot of money (not $20K) by a Yelp salesman with nothing to show for it but the bill. There are Herb Tarleks in digital media... at least one.

Digital might be a better investment (your analysis betrays a certain bias) but all media in my opinion could up their sales training and game.
Buzzboard guru MW wrote:If true, the Biederman family couldn't have possibly picked a worse time to be sellers. Only way it makes sense to sell now is if they have an option agreement in place from pre-COVID where a "put" can be exercised.
I've been involved in a few "family feuds" when the elder statesman gets toward retirement age. There is no good time to sell properties that are steadily decreasing in value, but unless the offspring are willing to hire experienced on site managers to replace good ole' Dad and give them the keys to the kingdom, they might end up just like the Gokeys, taking a bigger haircut on the price every day they wait. I know that you are a banker by trade, how would that "put" agreement be executed? I'm woefully lacking in that part of dealmaking (nothing in the Art of the Deal about that..)

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:44 am

I'll give an illustrative example:

Say, for instance, Townsquare made a deal with Midwestern Broadcasting that says "get your affairs in order, complete the acquisition of WKLT-FM, and between that point in time and xx/xx/xxxx (the option expiry date), tell us the date and we'll allow you to file the Asset Purchase Agreement with the FCC to sell the stations to us."

THAT is what I mean when I refer to a "put" option (it gives the owner the right, but not the obligation, to sell the underlying assets).

Deleted User 12047

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:54 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:44 am
I'll give an illustrative example:

Say, for instance, Townsquare made a deal with Midwestern Broadcasting that says "get your affairs in order, complete the acquisition of WKLT-FM, and between that point in time and xx/xx/xxxx (the option expiry date), tell us the date and we'll allow you to file the Asset Purchase Agreement with the FCC to sell the stations to us."

THAT is what I mean when I refer to a "put" option (it gives the owner the right, but not the obligation, to sell the underlying assets).
And this protects the station owner because they came to an agreed price, and if it goes down badly Townsquare is forced to buy it anyway at the agreed to price? Sorry, I'm financially stupid

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:41 pm

Yes and yes.

(You're not as stupid as you think! Don't sell yourself short.)

Of course, in my hypothetical example, Townsquare could always choose to default (i.e. renege) on the deal, in which case Midwestern Broadcasting could sue them in court.

Lest anyone get the wrong idea, I have no idea if any agreement of any kind has been signed between Midwestern and Townsquare, or between Midwestern and any other interested party. I'm strictly speaking hypotheticals.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:31 am

But is Townsquare acquiring stations in markets this small?

― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic