Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

I'm so tired of this bullshit ...

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Matt

Re: I'm so tired of this bullshit ...

Post by Matt » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:52 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:02 am
Vic Doucette wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:31 pm
And there's no way you can "appreciate" what we go through any more than I can "appreciate" what it's like to be black or a woman. Unless it hits you, a family member or a friend, you haven't a clue.
FWIW, I went to junior high and high school with Vic. To say it seemed more difficult for him than other kids to navigate those formative years, would be a immense understatement. But he never asked for sympathy or played the "woe is me card". He wanted to be treated like everybody else and was as cocky and proud as all of us were through those years.

But I did do the morning announcements better than him on the school PA.
I heard Dirt was better than both of you at announcements despite the fact that he was a freshman when you guys were juniors.

Seriously though, fuck anyone who abuses spots LEGALLY saved for people overtly or covertly. Vic's example was overt, but people who are using someone's vehicle with a handicap tag and take advantage are also dogshot people.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:23 pm

Matt and I have found a topic we agree on!

And another thing: Every print and broadcast journalist in the world needs to understand that people are not "wheelchair bound" or "confined to a wheelchair". Wheelchairs don't confine people, they liberate them. If you want to put them in a bind, take away their wheelchair. That's confinement.

No responsible journalist would use racist or sexist language in a story. They need to have the same kind of concern for ableism in their choice of language. The AP Stylebook even has an entry devoted to the topic. It says to mention the use of wheelchairs or other assistive devices only if relevant to the story, and to explain why the person needs a wheelchair. "Vic Doucette war leg braces because he has cerebral palsy, a neuromuscular disorder that affects movement and coordination". Yet I hear and see the terms AP says not to use all the time.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:23 pm

Vic Doucette wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:23 pm
Matt and I have found a topic we agree on!

And another thing: Every print and broadcast journalist in the world needs to understand that people are not "wheelchair bound" or "confined to a wheelchair". Wheelchairs don't confine people, they liberate them. If you want to put them in a bind, take away their wheelchair. That's confinement.

No responsible journalist would use racist or sexist language in a story. They need to have the same kind of concern for ableism in their choice of language. The AP Stylebook even has an entry devoted to the topic. It says to mention the use of wheelchairs or other assistive devices only if relevant to the story, and to explain why the person needs a wheelchair. "Vic Doucette war leg braces because he has cerebral palsy, a neuromuscular disorder that affects movement and coordination". Yet I hear and see the terms AP says not to use all the time.
Everybody wonders what’s up with a person with any sort of mobility issue... so ignoring it if not relevant won’t sit well with many people. Humans just work that way.

UP906

Post by UP906 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:42 pm

Surely there is a statue somewhere that we can tear down over all this!

Thread Killer

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:25 pm

UP906 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:42 pm
Handicap parking signs?

UP906

Post by UP906 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:03 pm

Rate This wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:25 pm
UP906 wrote:
Handicap parking signs?
Absolutely. Why are the little wheelie guys all white? There are multiple victimizations going on there.

Vic should call someone.

Thread Killer

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:40 pm

UP906 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:03 pm
Rate This wrote:
UP906 wrote:
Handicap parking signs?
Absolutely. Why are the little wheelie guys all white? There are multiple victimizations going on there.

Vic should call someone.
Organize a protest. Form a movement.

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:54 pm

It's easy enough to get a handicapped permit if you need it. Just because you can walk doesn't mean you don't need it. If you have certain heart conditions, you should have one. Just because you can walk from the handicap spot into the building doesn't mean you can walk way across the parking lot. As so many of you were fond of saying a few years ago, the need for a permit is "nuanced". But I agree, you should have one. A doctor can determine the need for one, government alone should not. Wouldn't a doctor's note be using "science"?

Here's another option. Utilization of spaces depends on the time of day. Why not put lighted signs that say "OPEN" OR "HCP ONLY" that can be changed like the open closed signs on bank drive through lanes. Normally on an event timer, but with an override like your sprinkler controller or other automation systems.

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:18 pm

Here's another simpler method. When a car occupies a handicapped spot, the sign on the spot next to it goes from OPEN TO HCP ONLY. When that is occupied, then next spot opens up.

You do not HAVE to be in a wheelchair to be eligible for a permit. Just have compromised mobility. A lot of post surgical patients are eligible, from knee surgery to heart surgery to other conditions.

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:26 pm

Lucky615 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:40 pm
UP906 wrote:
Rate This wrote:
UP906 wrote:
Handicap parking signs?

Vic should call someone.
There's really no need to be an ass...

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

UP906

Post by UP906 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:04 pm

Matt wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:26 pm
Lucky615 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:40 pm
UP906 wrote:
Rate This wrote:
UP906 wrote:
Handicap parking signs?

Vic should call someone.
There's really no need to be an ass...
Exactly.

Thread Killer

kager

Post by kager » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:29 am

PolPots' demeanor has infected nearly every forum on this board.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:58 am

kager wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:29 am
PolPots' demeanor has infected nearly every forum on this board.
Basically... but if there’s no moderation of anybody then it’s pure chaos... which is what it is.

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:51 pm

Someone does the right thing and a couple of assholes jump on him... Jesus Christ...

UP906 and Lucky615 (or whatever the fuck your name is) -- are you sure you both weren't looking in the mirror when you called Vic a Karen? He isn't even close to being one...and considering this *does* strongly affect him, he was in the right to complain. Even if it didn't, he still had that right to do so. Leave those spots for people who need to use them. How hard is that??

take this job and shove it

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:14 pm

thatonedude wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:51 pm
Someone does the right thing and a couple of assholes jump on him... Jesus Christ...

UP906 and Lucky615 (or whatever the fuck your name is) -- are you sure you both weren't looking in the mirror when you called Vic a Karen? He isn't even close to being one...and considering this *does* strongly affect him, he was in the right to complain. Even if it didn't, he still had that right to do so. Leave those spots for people who need to use them. How hard is that??
Thatonedude has a point...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic