Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Michigan auto insurance reform - rate change sneak peek

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Michigan auto insurance reform - rate change sneak peek

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:17 pm

For Medicaid, so long as all other members of your household have an auto insurance policy or health insurance policy that covers auto accident injuries, you are allowed to purchase as little as $50,000 of PIP for yourself.

If you are the only person in your household, then the above qualifier obviously doesn't apply, and you are free to purchase as little as $50,000 in PIP coverage for yourself.

More info:
https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/how-d ... law-46906/

https://www.michigan.gov/autoinsurance/ ... 20injuries.

By the way - my COVID-19 premium rebate from Liberty Mutual was a whole $40. Whoopie! :lol

I think they took my premium for the months of April & May, subtracted a prorated MCCA fee, and gave me back 15 percent of the remainder. Pretty pitiful considering I drove maybe 25% of my normal mileage in those two months.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:17 am

Geico seems to be having MAJOR issues with its technology and with the transition in general.

Now, their web site says they are providing quotes for Michigan auto policies neither online nor by phone. What a joke! But hey, they do provide a toll free number where you can request a paper application to be sent by snail mail. :lol

Travelers isn't offering online quotes for Michigan auto policies right now but *is* giving instant quotes over the phone.

The douche bags at the Hartford, after completing the online quote form, instead of providing an actual quote instead prompt you to complete and mail in a paper quote request form. Un-fucking-believable.

So far, the two companies who seem to be most "with it" are Progressive and AAA by far. Bear in mind I haven't checked Allstate or Esurance. I also haven't checked MetLife. (I've heard bad things about Allstate, but their online reviews seem to be good.)

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:40 am

Okay, so I just gave Allstate a whirl...

Allstate's web site only provides quotes for policy start dates no more than 10 days into the future. So, I was only able to obtain an instant quote based on CURRENT law.

Their pricing is an absolute joke. It's as bad or worse than State Farm! My quote for a 6-month policy with electronic documents and auto debit was more than $1,200.

As a reminder, my premium for the 6-month Progressive policy I purchased, to take effect July 2, is only $445.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:07 pm

In one of my earlier posts, I mentioned zip code and credit score as two important determinants in premiums assessed.

Under the new law, those factors are disallowed, as are marital status and education level.

However, usage of credit history (i.e. have you had any late payments or bankruptcies) and "geographical territory" is still permissible when setting rates.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:36 pm

To follow up on an earlier comment of mine:
If you have Medicare Plan A or B, you are entitled to $250,000 of personal injury protection coverage for free.

If you want unlimited PIP coverage, you'll have to pay for it just like now (although premium will be less than under current law).
The above statement is true. What I failed to mention is Medicare A&B already covers auto accident injuries, so purchasing PIP is essentially double coverage. I cannot speak to quality of care issues, though. Quality of care might be much better if your auto insurer is flipping the bill. I don't know.

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:00 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:36 pm
If you have Medicare Plan A or B, you are entitled to $250,000 of personal injury protection coverage for free.

If you want unlimited PIP coverage, you'll have to pay for it just like now (although premium will be less than under current law).
The above statement is true. What I failed to mention is Medicare A&B already covers auto accident injuries, so purchasing PIP is essentially double coverage. I cannot speak to quality of care issues, though. Quality of care might be much better if your auto insurer is flipping the bill. I don't know.
Thanks for the Medicare info in regards to the auto insurance reform. I appreciate this very much.

bugzapper

Post by bugzapper » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:13 am

Lucky615 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:00 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:36 pm

Thanks for the Medicare info in regards to the auto insurance reform. I appreciate this very much.
Yes, thank you!

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:17 am

I logged into Progressive today and I didn't see any guidance on these changes and how to do them. My renewal deadline was June 30th.

I did some checking about requirements for neighboring states. Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio do NOT require PIP coverage at all.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:04 am

If you are an existing Progressive policy holder whose policy auto-renewed prior to July 2, you will probably need to call their toll free number and speak with a customer service representative.

Hopefully, they won't give you the "run around."

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:16 am

Saved $140 in switching to Progressive and got a $22 check for the lack of use during April and May from my former provider.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:30 am

The assholes at the Detroit Free Press put the following article behind a paywall yesterday, but the daily newspaper in Bakersfield, CA offered the same article free of charge:

https://www.bakersfield.com/ap/news/new ... 0b68a.html

Word of caution - be wary before signing up with CURE Insurance. Multiple reviews online suggest they are difficult when handling claims.

https://www.valuepenguin.com/cure-auto-insurance-review
https://www.motor1.com/reviews/393325/c ... insurance/
https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/companies/cure/

That said, their rates are indeed VERY affordable, so it's a good option for any driver where price by far is the most important consideration.

For folks with clean or nearly clean driving and claims histories and good credit scores, at least in SE Michigan, among well known insurers, my experience is that Progressive offers the best rates.

An interesting point in the article is that we may be two to three years away from seeing a much more substantial rate drop in Michigan by the major insurers. I am inclined to agree with that prognostication. I think a combination of documented expense savings + increased competition (as new insurers begin to sell insurance here) will work to lower rates.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:38 am

Insurance rates are great until you file a claim and see how reliable the company actually is. 2 weeks in a critical care unit is about $400,000 these days.

You should also look into Citizens insurance which is Hanover.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:02 pm

Thanks for the tip. I've generally read positive things regarding Citizens. Brokers in the state seem to like them.

I might use zebra.com for shits and grins when my policy comes up for renewal again (January 2022).

I'm still very happy with my Progressive rate. It is now $487 for six months, which remains far cheaper than other companies I've checked. My policy has unlimited medical and attendant care.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:53 pm

I have 7 cars on citizens, they are great.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Realist

Post by Realist » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:53 pm

Get a quote from Pioneer Mutual, boys. My wife went to work for the insurance agency where we had our auto and homeowners insurance. We had switched from Citizens (who kept jacking up our rates despite no tickets), to whatever GMAC is now to then AAA. Rates kept going up and we are in our mid 50’s with no kids. Got a incredible rate from Pioneer with higher liability than what AAA offered! Agency also checked Progressive and it was more expensive

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic