Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

There's a moderate risk of severe weather today, and...

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Rate This

Re: There's a moderate risk of severe weather today, and...

Post by Rate This » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:33 pm

WNG647 which is also at NWS Detroit is functioning, I’m in Milan listening now... there’s a storm out by coldwater with 85 mph winds...

KeenerGold

Post by KeenerGold » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:36 pm

KIH29 Vienna Township/Clio is listed as "degraded".

Quality operation they're running. I still use NOAA Weather Radio when we're on Lake St. Clair or Lake Huron.

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:37 pm

So, Paul Gross says it's a telephone line issue between NWS Detroit and elsewhere, but the phone company is working on it....

https://twitter.com/PGLocal4/status/127 ... 96064?s=20

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:41 pm

I have one solution for this just turn on WWJ 950 and all your info is right there. No weather radio or cellphone needed.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:51 pm

Lucky615 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:41 pm
I have one solution for this just turn on WWJ 950 and all your info is right there. No weather radio or cellphone needed.
Not really. If WWJ were still on 8 Mile, you would be correct.

WWJ is pretty much useless during a severe WX outbreak, all thanks to the "soup cans & string" STL they use, that passes through 3 different telco's on it's way to the faraway transmitter site.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:38 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:51 pm
Lucky615 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:41 pm
Not really. If WWJ were still on 8 Mile, you would be correct.

WWJ is pretty much useless during a severe WX outbreak, all thanks to the "soup cans & string" STL they use, that passes through 3 different telco's on it's way to the faraway transmitter site.
Well there’s WJR or FM Radio, just wait until 5G comes out the fragile and weak infrastructure that cellphone technology is on will collapse and the data rates that the cell companies will charge will go through the roof and the health hazards that are involved with 5G. Many people are starting to go back to dumbphones do to the simplicity many are getting tired of the rapid changes and are craving simplicity. 5G is a odd number tech that will fail the masses just like 3G so I wouldn’t put all my eggs in the cellphone /data basket in times of any emergency situation that involves a power failure.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:16 pm

deadend wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:39 am
During storms, power can go out. If power goes out cell towers and your streaming data service to your phone will be out as well. With National Weather Service radio their lies a stream of information over radio waves. They make crank powered radios to pick up weather radio and last I checked there weren’t any crank powered mobile Internet services.
Every cell site I've seen has a battery bank that lasts several hours, which covers most power outages. If the site is critical you can get a generator out there before the batteries run out.

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:14 pm

km1125 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:16 pm
deadend wrote:
During storms, power can go out. If power goes out cell towers and your streaming data service to your phone will be out as well. With National Weather Service radio their lies a stream of information over radio waves. They make crank powered radios to pick up weather radio and last I checked there weren’t any crank powered mobile Internet services.
Every cell site I've seen has a battery bank that lasts several hours, which covers most power outages. If the site is critical you can get a generator out there before the batteries run out.
Tell that to the people in California during the wildfires they had zero cellphone and internet connectivity for days. Most if not all people had only one thing that kept them connected for information and that was AM and FM radio that’s it, that was the only service functioning for people informing them where to go for food and shelter. I know this first hand my son lost everything in those fires and we had to bring him home to Michigan for a new life and it’s a good thing that we had a rental property in Riverview so he and his wife could start over.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:41 pm

km1125 wrote:
deadend wrote:
Except when they all go out at once like the 2003 blackout.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:50 pm

audiophile wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:41 pm
km1125 wrote:
deadend wrote:
Except when they all go out at once like the 2003 blackout.
Which could happen again, our electrical grid and infrastructure is deteriorating and needs serious upgrades and needs to be protected.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:50 am

Voyeur alert!

At the bottom of a Detroit News story about storm damage, it reads:

Send us your photos or videos of storms and damage in your area (only if it is safe to do so) at online@detroitnews.com.

The story already had many such pictures, but I guess that wasn't enough...

mtburb
Location: Wyandotte, 17 miles from Southfield, 38 miles from Oregon

Post by mtburb » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:57 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:50 am
Voyeur alert!

At the bottom of a Detroit News story about storm damage, it reads:

Send us your photos or videos of storms and damage in your area (only if it is safe to do so) at online@detroitnews.com.

The story already had many such pictures, but I guess that wasn't enough...
...and so they went ahead and told the public that it needed so many more such pictures? :neutral_face:

My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

Current setup: Antennas Direct C2Max (2018-present)

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:53 pm

Tue storms were the worse than Wed as Tue power almost went out it didn't just flicker is all. Wed hardly any wind just a few rumbles of thunder is all the storms were north & east of where I lived in Kazoo.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:52 am

Detroit's NWR station is one of the first, one of the oldest, and has just a phone line link to Southfield IIRC. They need a decent upgrade. That being said, I think NWR is one of the better things to spend your tax dollars on, and doesn't overload like cellphones when the tornado sirens go off- you won't even get a private text for 15 minutes yet alone a voice call. There is still a need for a decent VHF NWR transmitter and local 50KW AM stations for the PEP for emergencies.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:54 am

WOHO wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:52 am
Detroit's NWR station is one of the first, one of the oldest, and has just a phone line link to Southfield IIRC. They need a decent upgrade. That being said, I think NWR is one of the better things to spend your tax dollars on, and doesn't overload like cellphones when the tornado sirens go off- you won't even get a private text for 15 minutes yet alone a voice call. There is still a need for a decent VHF NWR transmitter and local 50KW AM stations for the PEP for emergencies.
One would think they would have upgraded that old phone line when they relocated the NWS office from Metro Airport to White Lake. It's probably about the same distance to WXYZ, but in the opposite direction.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic