Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

One big mistake or a series of mistakes? What was it?

Miss the posts from your favorite flame artist or troll who added little to no value to the Buzzboard? Read 'em here!
lovinlife101

One big mistake or a series of mistakes? What was it?

Post by lovinlife101 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:36 am

So, WEYI has always been a “bottom feeder” as Deputy Bill’s Boston buddies call it. But for a flash in the pan (look it up) there was actual “hope” that positive change was coming.

Always low-funded, the station started out and continued in sub-mediocrity since its inception. But for a brief moment, it looked like it could have been a contender (movie reference, look it up).

In 2013, the station had been sold again, which happened every two to three years routinely, but this time it was to Sinclair, the biggest player in the game.

Hopes were high that a company with more than lint in its pockets could turn things around. The station already had the two most veteran anchors, Bill and Joel. In fact, several do-nothing engineers from ABC12 made the jump to the conservative juggernaut to do nothing there. Everything was in place.

New station vehicles were purchased. New jackets. New must-runs.

But then, just as quickly as the excitement started, it ended abruptly.

Why do you think it happened?

lovinlife101

Re: One big mistake or a series of mistakes? What was it?

Post by lovinlife101 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:23 am

sinklair wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:00 am
Those do-nothing engineers literally built a state of the art broadcasting facility from the ground up. What was the old Northwest Tire site on Pierson Road was completely renovated and is now the envy of the other two stations for the technology improvements. For a station that literally couldn’t stay on the air during severe weather, 25-66 is light years ahead of where they were.

As for what went wrong... HORRIBLE management. The egomaniac/former accountant in chief, the ASSistant GM, the in over her head News Director, the HR Director/party planner, the Director of Declining Sales. They all need to go. Sinclair Broadcast Group needs to be broken up by the FCC.

25-66 forced its stations to run politically slanted news stories. It forces its anchors to read corporate mandated promos. The station has the smallest staffing in the market and pays the least. It covers less local news than the other stations and is more focused on gimmicks. There’s more focus on social media clicks than quality storytelling. Grilled cheese sandwiches are substitutes for actually respecting employees. The sales department can’t make budgets to save their lives forcing every other department — especially news — to face budget cuts. But don’t ask the Director of Declining Sales to give up his perks. The HR Director covers up complaints from staff and threatens anyone complaining with discipline. The In over Her Head News Director is a yes woman to the incompetent regional manager Lame Michaelson. No new ideas. Just let’s rebrand with Mid-Michigan Now and hope viewers won’t notice nothing’s really changed. Minority journalists are run out. Unless youre Nike Woolfolk who they need to feature prominently so they can claim they’ve checked the diversity box. Anyone with half a brain quickly realizes all they need to do is endure their two year contract and jump quickly to a bigger market. There’s no reason ever to stick around.

There was promise at the station. Now, no one on Pierson Road gives a f***. Congrats Chad! Now you can screw up Seattle too. Sinclair’s new philosophy: “promoting managers to their highest level of incompetence!!!”
My advice when Mike Woolfolk leaves, gets fired, and either way files a major lawsuit: hire Dave Kinchen!

The station has found out that some people want to “be home” more than getting paid or doing a quality job. Just ask Dave Blondie!

That, or hire a Boston Bruins, New England Patriots, and Boston College fan and he can be ineffective for 40 years and suck up to cops! Everyone love cops, right?!

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:27 am

1996 Smith Broadcasting, 1997 Sunrise, 2002 Lin, then 2004 Barrington Broadcasting.

Four owners in eight years.

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:51 am

Herm wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:32 am
lovinlife101 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:27 am
1996 Smith Broadcasting, 1997 Sunrise, 2002 Lin, then 2004 Barrington Broadcasting.

And then the same owner for 9. It would seem that the routine you referenced stop being a routine approximately 16 years ago. Try to keep up with the times if you’re going to participate in a discussion.
That nine years is an anomaly.

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:12 am

Herm wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:00 pm
lovinlife101 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:51 am
Herm wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:32 am
lovinlife101 wrote:

And then the same owner for 9. It would seem that the routine you referenced stop being a routine approximately 16 years ago. Try to keep up with the times if you’re going to participate in a discussion.
That nine years is an anomaly.
Followed by another 7 years of the same owner.
It would seem that the anomaly was actually the start of a new routine.
In fact, one routine last for 8 years and the other has lasted for 16. It would seem that the routine you laid out is the actual anomaly.
There was no other nine year ownership. It’s the dictionary definition of an anomaly.

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:23 am

Multiple ownerships, multiple managers, multiple ineffective employees, multiple failures.

I just wrote that station’s memoirs (look it up).

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:12 am

lovinlife101 wrote:

Routine, yo.

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:46 am

Herm wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:15 am
lovinlife101 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:12 am
lovinlife101 wrote:

Routine, yo.
Get current, yo
History teacher: "Let's begin by looking at historical data in order to glean insight on how events could have happened and whether we can predict with any certainty whether those events or other events will occur."

Herm: "Don't waste your time. Get current, yo."

History teacher: "Uh, next time I suggest raising your hand and being called on before interrupting the class, but as I was saying yesterday..."

Herm: "Don't waste your time with talk of yesterday. Get current, yo."

History teacher: "But looking at the past is vital to..."

Frank Manley: "I don't play."

History teacher: "Frank Manley? Why are you in this class?"

Frank Manley: "I want to learn about history, yo."

History teacher: "Great, it's kind of what I studied in college. It's my passion. And the importance of historical facts are..."

Kool-Aid Man: "Oh yeah!"

History teacher: "Kool-Aid Man? What are you doing here? And why did you destroy by classroom wall?"

Kool-Aid Man: "It's my thing, yo."

Macho Man back from the dead: "Your copied my catchphrase, yo!"

Kool-Aid Man: "YOU COPIED MY CATCHPHRASE! I've been 'Oh, yeah' since 1954. Historical facts, yo."

Frank Manley: "Need an attorney to sue for copyright infringement? I don't play!"

Macho Man: "I don't say 'Oh, yeah.' It's "Oooooooooh, yeeeeeeeeeeah!"

Vanilla Ice: "Seems plausible."

Herm: "Get current, yo."

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:48 am

Herm wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:53 am
lovinlife101 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:46 am
Herm wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:15 am
lovinlife101 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:12 am
lovinlife101 wrote:

Routine, yo.
Get current, yo
History teacher: "Let's begin by looking at historical data in order to glean insight on how events could have happened and whether we can predict with any certainty whether those events or other events will occur."

History teacher: "Uh, next time I suggest raising your hand and being called on before interrupting the class, but as I was saying yesterday..."

Herm: "Don't waste your time with talk of yesterday. Get current, yo."

History teacher: "But looking at the past is vital to..."

Frank Manley: "I don't play."

History teacher: "Frank Manley? Why are you in this class?"

Frank Manley: "I want to learn about history, yo."

History teacher: "Great, it's kind of what I studied in college. It's my passion. And the importance of historical facts are..."

Kool-Aid Man: "Oh yeah!"

History teacher: "Kool-Aid Man? What are you doing here? And why did you destroy by classroom wall?"

Kool-Aid Man: "It's my thing, yo."

Macho Man back from the dead: "Your copied my catchphrase, yo!"

Kool-Aid Man: "YOU COPIED MY CATCHPHRASE! I've been 'Oh, yeah' since 1954. Historical facts, yo."

Frank Manley: "Need an attorney to sue for copyright infringement? I don't play!"

Macho Man: "I don't say 'Oh, yeah.' It's "Oooooooooh, yeeeeeeeeeeah!"

Vanilla Ice: "Seems plausible."

Herm: "Get current, yo."
Keep deflecting.

Lovinlife101 - Drawing and quartering happens routinely.

Everyone other than Lovinlife101 - Drawing and quartering hasn’t been a routine for 150 years.

Lovinlife101 - Look it up!
150 years ago was so 2004.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic