Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

“Timothy”

A place where record store snobs and casual listeners can unite as one! Discuss latest releases, all-time favorites, and deep cuts.
Deleted User 15342

“Timothy”

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:41 am

Another blast from the past “Timothy” by The Buoys from the Summer of 1971. What a great one hit wonder again heard on the great CKLW.

CK-722

Re: “Timothy”

Post by CK-722 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:26 am

Rupert Holmes won't admit that this song was loosely based on a coal mining disaster in Pennsylvania in 1963, where two miners were rescued, and the third didn't make it out. The families would have probably sued Rupert Holmes for the profits from the story behind the song. The song broke out in Pennsylvania long before the rest of the country. The song reached #17 Hot 100 despite being banned by many radio stations. WABC and WLS banned it. WCFL played it and it reached #8. It might have reached close to #1 Hot 100 otherwise.

Gordon Lightfoot donated profits from "The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald" to organizations that helped the families.

CKLW played a censored version of "Timothy" so it was less obvious. Rupert Holmes admitted that he wrote the song to be controversial, and even get banned by radio stations, which it was, to bring attention to his work.

The song was very well produced and arranged, making it compelling, at least if you didn't listen closely to the lyrics.

As Peter Paul and Mary sang, "I dig...I could say something...if you know what I mean. But if I really say it, the radio won't play it, unless I LAY IT, between the LINES", referring to sex and cocaine.

There are much more sensitive lyrics covering controversial subjects, which go right over peoples' heads. No one will admit this either, the song "Honey", performed by Bobby Goldsboro and written by Bobby Russell, was a very sensitive lyric about DEPRESSION AND SUICIDE. It went right over people's heads. Listen carefully and you'll hear it. It would have been banned from the radio too, if people realized it at the time. Instead, it was dismissed as emotional fluff. It was also beautifully produced.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:38 pm

"Timothy" by The Buoys went to # 17 (Hot 100) in May of 1971. Their follow up "Give Up Your Guns" (co written by Rupert Holmes) went to # 84 in June of 1971. Their self - titled debut first album only went to # 202 in August of 1971 & that was it on the Billboard Charts. Also Rupert Holmes also wrote "Echo Valley 2-6809" for The Partridge Family (from 1971 "Sound Magazine"). Wayne Newton did the remake of The Partridge Family song in the Summer of 1972 (flip B 45 single "Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast").

matt1

Post by matt1 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:48 pm

"Timothy" (Music Mike "Flashback Favorites" with CKLW radio jingle!!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxrmLgw82KM

matt1

Post by matt1 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:55 pm

matt1

Post by matt1 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:27 pm

matt1

Post by matt1 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:29 pm

The group Dakota (former members of The Buoys) from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dakota_(American_band)

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:12 am

Actually, "Timothy" became a hit in 1970 in Northeast Pennsylvania, near where the actual mining disaster occurred in 1963. The song took off first in Wilkes Barre, where The Buoys were from. The town where the disaster happened was about 30 miles from Wilkes Barre. Except for a few local break outs elsewhere, it didn't break out nationally for almost a year. Probably the mine disaster was something that was remembered by the group, if not Rupert Holmes. I would imagine that some people speculated that the third miner was "consumed" in order for the other two to stay alive. While this was indeed a moral dilemma that might be studied in a class in Ethics, it still seems kind of insensitive for people who likely remembered the disaster to record the song in a town not far away without somehow feeling guilty about it. We didn't have the internet to research this and connect the dots, but in retrospect, it looks kind of bad. I remember reading about details of the disaster in the newspaper when I was very young, and it left quite an impression, one which I never forgot. I remember the actual name of the third miner like it was yesterday. Howard Hughes was so moved that he funded part of the rescue efforts. You have to give him credit for that. I guess people in the Great Lakes Region had a similar interest in "The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald", but the recording occurred much closer in time when everyone still remembered the disaster.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic