Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

THIS is why Justin Amash needs to be reelected to Congress

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

THIS is why Justin Amash needs to be reelected to Congress

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:55 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/06 ... gress.html

"Qualified Immunity" has spiraled out of control and has given malicious government employees (especially those in law enforcement) nearly the same type of immunity that is bestowed upon foreign diplomats.

To the justices who served on the 1982 Supreme Court:
BURN IN HELL!!!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/ ... 283349002/

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/05/ ... -bad-cops/

https://twitter.com/justinamash/status/ ... 48/photo/1

An excerpt from Mr. Amash's press release regarding his legislation:

The brutal killing of George Floyd by Minneapolis police is merely the latest in a long line of incidents of egregious police misconduct. This pattern continues because police are legally, politically, and culturally insulated from consequences for violating the rights of the people whom they have sworn to serve. That must change so that these incidents of brutality stop happening.

Until then, we must ensure that those whose rights are violated by police aren’t forced to suffer the added injustice of being denied their day in court.

I hope Mr. Amash's legislation is debated in both chambers, voted into law, and signed by the President.

Matt

Re: THIS is why Justin Amash needs to be reelected to Congress

Post by Matt » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:29 pm

Is he even running?

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:38 pm

Matt wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:29 pm
Is he even running?
Not as far as I know and he wouldn’t have a prayer anyways.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:56 pm

I'm not sure if his name will appear on ballots in the 3rd district or not.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:02 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:56 pm
I'm not sure if his name will appear on ballots in the 3rd district or not.
I stand corrected, he IS trying to get re-elected.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:10 pm

They need to end it for Whitmer and Nessel too. One destroyed our state's economy unnecessary, the other's fines and lawsuits caused the owner not lower lake levels which then flooded Midland county.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:16 pm

Our state economy would be in the crapper regardless. Did Whitmer add insult to injury by overreaching? Yes.

I'm much more displeased with Nessel.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:20 pm

audiophile wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:10 pm
They need to end it for Whitmer and Nessel too. One destroyed our state's economy unnecessary, the other's fines and lawsuits caused the owner not lower lake levels which then flooded Midland county.
I leave for 10 days and return to find you still complaining.

If you saw her press conference today, you saw how a leader behaves.

Otherwise, your Conservative Victim rhetoric is getting stale. How's that lawsuit going? :roll:

MW, do you think this turd hiding in his bunker would sign a bill like the one Amish is proposing?

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:29 pm

MW, do you think this turd hiding in his bunker would sign a bill like the one Amish (sic) is proposing?
With Trump - who the hell knows?

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:48 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:29 pm
MW, do you think this turd hiding in his bunker would sign a bill like the one Amish (sic) is proposing?
He just tear gassed a bunch of peaceful protesters in Lafayette Park so he could walk across the street and get a photo op in front of St. John's Episcopal Church, so yeah, no shit who the hell knows.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:52 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:20 pm
audiophile wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:10 pm
I leave for 10 days and return to find you still complaining.

If you saw her press conference today, you saw how a leader behaves.

Otherwise, your Conservative Victim rhetoric is getting stale. How's that lawsuit going? :roll:

MW, do you think this turd hiding in his bunker would sign a bill like the one Amish is proposing?
Stop whining about the president, victim. See how douchey that is?

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:20 pm

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:48 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
He just tear gassed a bunch of peaceful protesters in Lafayette Park so he could walk across the street and get a photo op in front of St. John's Episcopal Church, so yeah, no shit who the hell knows.
If he deploys the military we might really have some fun...

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:29 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
For the life of me, I don't see how anyone with a 50+ IQ can wholeheartedly support this fucking disaster. You want to tear into the idiot Dems...fine. I agree. But to accept what this pile of human garbage has done to our country is blatantly inexcusable.

The censorship king from out of state.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:40 am

As someone who personally fought in federal court for SEVEN YEARS (pro se), 5 of which were spent defeating a claim of qualified immunity made by several police officers, I have extensive personal knowledge and very strong opinions on this issue.

The actual concept of qualified immunity, I do not take issue with. In theory, it shouldn't be that tough of a burden to beat if you have a legitimate complaint.

It is the PROCEDURE that needs to be reformed. As it stands now, any government official can assert qualified immunity protection (it is isn't even technically a defense) in their Answer to your complaint, and at that point, the burden shifts to you, the Plaintiff, to defeat it. And you must do so without any discovery taking place. And even if you defeat it, the Defendants can file an interlocutory appeal (which I had to deal with, also won that one, in the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals), and then, if that isn't bad enough, EVEN IF you defeat the appeal and the case is remanded back for discovery proceedings, the Defendants can then file a RENEWED MOTION FOR SUMMARY JUDGMENT after discovery is over. That entire process takes years to play out and is beyond ridiculous.

My proposed reform would be simple and two-fold:

1 - The defeating of qualified immunity by a Plaintiff in a District Court should not in and of itself be an appealable issue. Because Qualified immunity is a protection from the burden of frivolous litigation as opposed to a defense, even if a District Court were to err in not granting it, the Defendants would still be entitled to a trial on the merits of the case, which, if they should have been immune, would theoretically be easy to win in a trial setting.

2 - Limited discovery should be allowed prior to the resolution of the immunity question.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:41 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:29 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
For the life of me, I don't see how anyone with a 50+ IQ can wholeheartedly support this fucking disaster. You want to tear into the idiot Dems...fine. I agree. But to accept what this pile of human garbage has done to our country is blatantly inexcusable.
Have you met our racist friend Matt? He still has three fingers up Trump's ass...

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic