Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Bill Harris' career, a lifetime of cop-supporting

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
sinklair

Re: Bill Harris' career, a lifetime of cop-supporting

Post by sinklair » Sun May 31, 2020 8:43 pm

Another anti-Bill rant by Lovin. Another anti-police post that the moderator says should be posted in the potpourri section.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:43 am

lovinlife101 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 10:17 am
We've seen cops arrest a CNN crew for exercising their freedom of the press.
They were 100% correct arresting that CNN crew for failure to obey police orders to clear the area. That crew -nor any other- should just get a free pass because they have some kind of "press credentials". If they have made a prior arrangement with the police or the local administration, then they should be allowed to stay under those conditions. In this case it appears they did not, so once they refused to vacate, arresting them was the right move. There should never have been an apology because it just emboldens bad actors.

lovinlife101 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:25 am
One of the country's worst kept secrets is that cops are out of control and corrupt. They abuse their power, prosecutors fail to take action, and they most often get away with it. The "good cops" (still trying to find them) who say police corruption is wrong, never take action, never call out bad actors, never push to have the bad cops (which are most of them) removed from their jobs. Where were all the "good cops" that all of you say are the majority of officers when George Floyd was being killed? Huh? Anyone? Bueller?

Where is the national push, led by the "good cops," to get the bad actors out of the police force? Crickets.

All they support is "the brotherhood." Cops stand up for other cops regardless of morality, legality, or sanity.

They admit to having and using "discretion." That means, they enforce the laws they want, ignore the laws they don't want to enforce, and make up offenses ("obstruction", "failure to ID", etc.) because they believe they are better than you and need to push you around to make themselves feels better.

And who celebrates, honors, and promotes these monsters? None other than the news personality closest to them, William Jefferson "Hot Rod" Harris.
In general I agree with this whole post. There is no recourse for a "normal" citizen against the abuse of force by police. There are good cops out there (most of the time) but they do look the other way when things they don't like are happening because they will be "tagged" as as issue and they might not get the support they need when they really need it. They're human, so you can't expect a lot more.

At some point though, we have to weigh the options. Since they are all just human, should we just eliminate the police and just fend for ourselves? Police weren't always a fixture in society, even in the USA. Do we forego the 80-90% good because of the 10-20% bad?? I think some police departments (especially those that get thrown under the bus by their leadership) should seriously consider an entire force "sick day weekend" sometime to let us all think about it.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:42 am

lovinlife101 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:12 am
If 10-20% of a certain vehicle killed people, it would be banned.

If skydiving killed 10-20% of people, it would be banned.

If a certain dog killed 10-20% of its owners, it would be banned.

Now, I am not for banning anything. I am putting things in terms you people can understand.

Policing is intended to protect the good players and punish the bad players. But what we're seeing is abuse of power, selectively enforcing the rules, and other corruption.

How about we "fend for ourselves" like every civilization on planet earth prior to government-backed forced policing?
10-20% of police don't kill people either. No where close. I gave that as a very generous percentage of all "bad" cops, which could be just writing an unwarranted ticket, or wasting department dollars.

lovinlife101 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:16 am
And no, just because police told someone to stand somewhere else, doesn't mean that person has to comply or face arrest. In a public place, exercising the freedom of the press, that reporter and crew has every right to be there regardless of what police say. Rights don't get removed simply because police said so.
You need to review the LAWS in that area to find out what SOCIETY has granted as powers for those police orders. If society has delegated the authority to those police to establish a perimeter and penalties if you violate that, then that's the price you pay. That's how a civilized society works when you have the rule of law.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:40 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:13 pm
km1125 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:42 am
lovinlife101 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:12 am
If 10-20% of a certain vehicle killed people, it would be banned.

If skydiving killed 10-20% of people, it would be banned.

If a certain dog killed 10-20% of its owners, it would be banned.

Now, I am not for banning anything. I am putting things in terms you people can understand.

Policing is intended to protect the good players and punish the bad players. But what we're seeing is abuse of power, selectively enforcing the rules, and other corruption.

How about we "fend for ourselves" like every civilization on planet earth prior to government-backed forced policing?
10-20% of police don't kill people either. No where close. I gave that as a very generous percentage of all "bad" cops, which could be just writing an unwarranted ticket, or wasting department dollars.

lovinlife101 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:16 am
And no, just because police told someone to stand somewhere else, doesn't mean that person has to comply or face arrest. In a public place, exercising the freedom of the press, that reporter and crew has every right to be there regardless of what police say. Rights don't get removed simply because police said so.
You need to review the LAWS in that area to find out what SOCIETY has granted as powers for those police orders. If society has delegated the authority to those police to establish a perimeter and penalties if you violate that, then that's the price you pay. That's how a civilized society works when you have the rule of law.
The constitution limits the government's powers over the governed, not the other way around.

Freedom of the press. Freedom to assemble. It's pretty simple, really.
Have you ever read the Amendments to the Constitution??

For Freedom to assemble, it says " the right to peaceably assemble". Riots are not "peaceable" and anyone "assembling" during a riot is not protected.

Freedom of the Press means they are not restricted or compelled in what they write. It does not guarantee the methods that can be used for collection of the material. They are not allowed to violate laws to get their content. Would it be OK if they hacked into any computer system to get their material for their story? Would it be OK for them to break into any building to get a story? Would it be OK if they held people at gunpoint to get their story?? "Freedom of the Press" is what they could claim, because if you stopped them you're stopping "the press". That's ridiculous. They need to comply with the LAWS that all citizens have agreed to implement.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:59 am

Open RICO investigations on the major police unions, get rid of so-called "Qualified Immunity," and continue to reform civil asset forfeiture laws, and we'll see major progress in reducing abuses by law enforcement.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:01 pm

A lot of the police have spoken out on George Floyd's death time to arrest the other 3 that stood by and did nothing. Now with smartphones, you're seeing it more than you did 20 or 30 years ago were all it was and I said they said type matter.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:34 am

This thread still has nothing to do with Flint broadcasting and should be in political potpourri

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:37 am

Yes, people are finally seeing you for what you are, Lovin: a hateful, little troll who derails every conversation into a rant against Bill Harris or anti-LGBTQ stance. You are pathetic. Don’t believe me? Ask literally everybody.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:10 pm

He’s not being paid for it because he’s not working. Pretty hard to change the news narrative when he’s sitting on the beach growing his salt and pepper goatee.

But keep taking pot shots at your former coworkers at 25-66, Lovin.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:49 am

You sound jealous Lovin. Move on and get a hobby.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:11 pm

If the station is good with keeping Bill’s bio up there for freelance work, that’s their decision. If you disagree, I suggest you apply to become the new GM. I can introduce you to the regional manager, Lame Michaelson...

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:06 pm

Other than putting out a lame statement, Sinclair doesn’t care about BLM. If they did, mega-bizzillionaire David Smith would donate money to the cause, air must runs on BLM and police use of force, and fire the entire white male corporate news team. But he won’t...

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:49 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:05 am
sinklair wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:11 pm
If the station is good with keeping Bill’s bio up there for freelance work, that’s their decision. If you disagree, I suggest you apply to become the new GM. I can introduce you to the regional manager, Lame Michaelson...
Sinclair can do what it wants, but if it wants people to take its BLM message seriously, it will remove the police officer’s favorite newscaster, Deputy Bill Harris, from its website and not use him on any future newscast.

Nearly 50 years of blindly promoting cops is hardly a career to be proud of. Is that the kind of newscaster you want? One that has never revealed any police corruption despite being closest to cops his entire career?

COPS has been cancelled.

Live PD has been canceled.

It’s time to cancel Harris PD and pdq.
Live PD was a pretty good show A&E made the wrong choice in canceling it being the number 1 show on Fri & Sat nights I hope it finds a new home as for Cops I stopped watching that years ago. You met Bill Harris Lovin you didn't like him from day 1 because he was pro-police.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:01 am

I don’t understand the cancellation of Live PD. Showing and analyzing police action is a good thing. It helps the public better understand tactics and the pressures faced by police. Some of the “action” shows how police resolve disputes in a non-violent way. And when there are practices that deserve to be debated, then I’d prefer that to happen in the open as well. Cancelling Live PD does nothing to help further that conversation over good policing.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:49 pm

For someone who likes to criticize the media, I find it interesting that Lovin just makes up entire conversations. I guess Lovin’s new mantra is “When your arguments just don’t add up... make sh*t up.”

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic