Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

You Say "Tomato"...

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
screen glare

Re: You Say "Tomato"...

Post by screen glare » Sat May 30, 2020 6:30 am

A riot IS a protest.

As is a public march.

As is a public sit in.

As is a loud or quiet public demonstration.

Martin Luther King lead non-violent protests. He also warned that riots were the voices of those who feel their voices are not being heard.

If oppressors want to cause rioting - do nothing to stop repeated life ending, unjust actions against persons by authorities. That’ll do it every time. The world over.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat May 30, 2020 7:53 am

screen glare wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 6:30 am
A riot IS a protest.
Ahh, but is a protest a riot?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Sat May 30, 2020 9:15 am

A riot IS a protest.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Sat May 30, 2020 9:15 am

You might call it a protest of last resort.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat May 30, 2020 10:16 am

Bryce wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 7:53 am
screen glare wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 6:30 am
A riot IS a protest.
Ahh, but is a protest a riot?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat May 30, 2020 11:04 am

I don't believe all rioters engage in such conduct with protesting in mind. I suspect a fairly high number of rioters enjoy perpetrating arson, destruction of personal property, and theft and are simply seeking an excuse to commit such acts.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat May 30, 2020 11:10 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 11:04 am
I don't believe all rioters engage in such conduct with protesting in mind. I suspect a fairly high number of rioters enjoy perpetrating arson, destruction of personal property, and theft and are simply seeking an excuse to commit such acts.
Exactly... essentially that is an act of war to be candid...

Deleted User 13307

Post by Deleted User 13307 » Sat May 30, 2020 12:01 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Their goal is not to solve the very real issues that we all must face head on. Their goal is to make them worse.

It's remarkable to me that anyone that posts on this board would choose to ignore what the end result of 1967 was on this region as a whole - the most "voluntarily" segregated metro in the world. I use the term voluntary because only those that had the financial wherewithal to leave the city of Detroit did leave. It fixed the Detroit Police Department and left a region that hasn't come close to solving racism 53 years later.

History is going to repeat itself in Minneapolis. Who really thinks that those retailers are going to rebuild? Even Target, based in Minneapolis, is going to find reasons why their promises to rebuild those stores in a year will be unable to be fulfilled. Then after the inevitable delays, it'll just be forgotten. Just like Detroit was.

Don't ever confuse the people that are participating in these acts with true protesters that are trying to accomplish something good. The rioters and looters should be treated with the exact same disdain as killer cops. Stop enabling.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat May 30, 2020 12:16 pm

I wonder to what degree Minnesota's stay-at-home order has contributed to making this situation worse. Theirs wasn't quite as strict as Michigan's, but it was pretty close, and it was only very recently that they partially lifted some restrictions. The troublemakers have been cooped up for months and this was finally their opportunity to let loose.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat May 30, 2020 12:19 pm

Howard Jones wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 12:01 pm
true protesters that are trying to accomplish something good. The rioters and looters should be treated with the exact same disdain as killer cops. Stop enabling.
+1

And the mainstream media should call them what they are!!

Deleted User 13307

Post by Deleted User 13307 » Sat May 30, 2020 12:24 pm

Let's talk about a true success story in Detroit. The end of devil's night. When people realized together that burning shit for publicity didn't solve anything but instead caused even deeper problems far beyond anything that was happening each October 30th.

Protest of last resort my ass. The people that actually live in these cities that are being destroyed are much smarter than you give them credit for. They don't want this to happen to their neighborhoods. Instead, they are being let down by the people who pass themselves off as their friends by giving the assholes that are ruining their lives excuses like "protests of last resort".

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat May 30, 2020 12:25 pm

Howard Jones wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 12:01 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Their goal is not to solve the very real issues that we all must face head on. Their goal is to make them worse.

It's remarkable to me that anyone that posts on this board would choose to ignore what the end result of 1967 was on this region as a whole - the most "voluntarily" segregated metro in the world. I use the term voluntary because only those that had the financial wherewithal to leave the city of Detroit did leave. It fixed the Detroit Police Department and left a region that hasn't come close to solving racism 53 years later.

History is going to repeat itself in Minneapolis. Who really thinks that those retailers are going to rebuild? Even Target, based in Minneapolis, is going to find reasons why their promises to rebuild those stores in a year will be unable to be fulfilled. Then after the inevitable delays, it'll just be forgotten. Just like Detroit was.

Don't ever confuse the people that are participating in these acts with true protesters that are trying to accomplish something good. The rioters and looters should be treated with the exact same disdain as killer cops. Stop enabling.
With hints like “it’s going to get very dangerous after 8pm and you don’t want to get swept up in the response” I’m reading that as “we will not hesitate to shoot you“. If they go in with 13,000 guardsman plus the 2500 or so cops they have at their disposal and they use force the uprising should be quelled but it won’t be pretty it sounds like.

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Sat May 30, 2020 2:12 pm

When I looked at photos and video footage of the protests/riots, I found some very concerning things:

1) There were no attempts by protesters to socially distance themselves.
2) I saw very few masks being worn.

I can’t help but wonder if this is a repeat of Philadelphia 1918.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun May 31, 2020 8:54 am

Chrocket87 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 2:12 pm
If there is a spike in Covid-19 cases in cities where the protests and riots took place, it will probably be buried by the media. If there isn't, the fact that crowds got together without social distancing or wearing masks and nothing happened won't be mentioned either.

Headline this morning from CNN.com:
Shouting through masks, thousands poured onto streets. While some protests were peaceful, others ended in chaos.
It would seem that although we haven't had any riots, we have entered a phase of chaos.

Over at NBCNEWS.com...

It would appear that the protesters held a rally last night:

Police crack down as protesters defy curfews across U.S. to rally again over George Floyd's death

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun May 31, 2020 10:52 am

Bryce wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 8:54 am
Chrocket87 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 2:12 pm
If there is a spike in Covid-19 cases in cities where the protests and riots took place, it will probably be buried by the media. If there isn't, the fact that crowds got together without social distancing or wearing masks and nothing happened won't be mentioned either.

Headline this morning from CNN.com:
Shouting through masks, thousands poured onto streets. While some protests were peaceful, others ended in chaos.
It would seem that although we haven't had any riots, we have entered a phase of chaos.

Over at NBCNEWS.com...

It would appear that the protesters held a rally last night:

Police crack down as protesters defy curfews across U.S. to rally again over George Floyd's death
I did hear the word riot used on CNN last night...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic