Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Re-Open Thread

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Deleted User 13307

Re: Re-Open Thread

Post by Deleted User 13307 » Mon May 18, 2020 2:50 pm

Bryce wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:29 pm
So, I'm confused here. Unfortunately, it's a state in which I have become accustomed.

A bar or restaurant in zones 6 and 8 will be allowed to reopen at 50% capacity. A 200 seat bar can have 100 people in it at a time. Yet, a barber that only services one client at a time will not be allowed to reopen.

Sounds like the Restaurant Association has one hell of a lobby.
Well, there aren't a whole lot of places that hold even 100 people in a room in regions 6 and 8 - but your point is still valid. I wonder how many of the sheriffs / local PDs will opt to skip enforcement on a barber shop spinning up the barber pole starting on Friday. The MSP would be compelled to do so if ordered by the AG - but would she bother wasting those resources?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon May 18, 2020 5:02 pm

Bryce,

Bartenders and Waitresses have very limited exposure to people. A barber is spending 15 - 25 minutes inside 3 feet of a client all the time touching them.

Does that help your child like questioning?

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon May 18, 2020 6:37 pm

In low risk areas, I think barber shops and hair salons should be permitted to operate. Those who are uncomfortable with the concept don't need to patronize those businesses.

I agree with keeping them closed in Metro Detroit.

I bought a great set of electric clippers for just over $30 a few weeks ago. It might be a long time before I visit a barber or hair stylist again, COVID-19 or no COVID-19!

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon May 18, 2020 7:59 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:02 pm
Bryce,

Bartenders and Waitresses have very limited exposure to people. A barber is spending 15 - 25 minutes inside 3 feet of a client all the time touching them.

Does that help your child like questioning?
No, and it doesn't help your child like reasoning either.

Bartenders and servers are touching my glass as well as any fresh products that go in them.

If you think fifty or a hundred people in a bar are all going to remain six feet apart at all times, and not take their mask off to eat and drink, your dreaming.

Barbers and stylists maintain a much more sterile environment than any bar I've ever been in.

You consult for the F and B lobby do ya?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon May 18, 2020 8:31 pm

And that's not exactly how COVID droplets work.... This is one of the best articles I have read about spread. A bit weighty but very popular amongst the ER crowd... Since you are an adult, this might help you understand my perspective.

https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-ri ... avoid-them

Remember the formula: Successful Infection = Exposure to Virus x Time

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue May 19, 2020 7:41 am

TC Talks wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:31 pm
And that's not exactly how COVID droplets work.... This is one of the best articles I have read about spread.
From your article...
A Bathroom: Bathrooms have a lot of high touch surfaces, door handles, faucets, stall doors. So fomite transfer risk in this environment can be high. We still do not know whether a person releases infectious material in feces or just fragmented virus, but we do know that toilet flushing does aerosolize many droplets. Treat public bathrooms with extra caution (surface and air), until we know more about the risk.
I've never once in my life used a bathroom at my barber. I am a frequent bathroom user at the local pub and restaurants.
Indoor spaces, with limited air exchange or recycled air and lots of people, are concerning from a transmission standpoint. We know that 60 people in a volleyball court-sized room (choir) results in massive infections. Same situation with the restaurant and the call center. Social distancing guidelines don't hold in indoor spaces where you spend a lot of time, as people on the opposite side of the room were infected.
So, the author contends having a group of people in a large room for an extended period of time is dangerous. The average time spent in a dine in restaurant is 1.3 hours. Sounds like a lot of the bars and restaurants I go to.
If you are sitting in a well ventilated space, with few people, the risk is low.
Sounds like my barber.

According to your article, maybe the state should let barbers open and keep the restaurants and bar's closed in Traverse City this weekend.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue May 19, 2020 8:46 am

Bryce wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:41 am

So, the author contends having a group of people in a large room for an extended period of time is dangerous. The average time spent in a dine in restaurant is 1.3 hours. Sounds like a lot of the bars and restaurants I go to.
Not only that, but the other factor in the choir example was all the singing and talking spreading and projecting the virus. If you can stop your hair stylist from being Chatty Cathy, you probably improve your "survivability" significantly. You're not going to accomplish that in a bar or restaurant.

HD74

Post by HD74 » Tue May 19, 2020 10:00 am

Except, this barber took no extra precautions, the waiting room is open, and I’ve seen plenty of maskless morons in the news footage. Perhaps if he had thought about it, he would have followed the example of the stylists in other states who have re-opened, thereby making himself a lot more defendable. If the restaurants up north follow the same path as Wisconsin we’ll see more spread.
Come on folks, it’s a virus, not a candidate, protect yourself from others, and protect others from you.
When all is said and done, the barber will use this as a means to sell another book, IF, he survives.

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue May 19, 2020 11:33 am

Average stay at a restaurant is 45 minutes. So I agree that they both have risks. I'm not letting a waitstaff or barber close to me for 15 minutes vs :10 seconds at a time.

― Noam Chomsky

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue May 19, 2020 8:13 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:33 am
Average stay at a restaurant is 45 minutes.
Not fine dining...

Party of two is a bit over a hour and a half. Party of four a bit longer.

Average stay at bar or nightclub with entertainment is over two hours.

It's not so much about the staff, it's the amount of customers sharing airspace and ignoring rules.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue May 19, 2020 8:17 pm

Bryce wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:13 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:33 am
Average stay at a restaurant is 45 minutes.
Not fine dining...

Party of two is a bit over a hour and a half. Party of four a bit longer.

Average stay at bar or nightclub with entertainment is over two hours.

It's not so much about the staff, it's the amount of customers sharing airspace and ignoring rules.
What exactly are you defining as fine dining?

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue May 19, 2020 8:31 pm

Rate This wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:17 pm

Are you familiar with Fleming's?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue May 19, 2020 8:41 pm

Bryce wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:31 pm
Rate This wrote:

Not perfectly... I’m from Ann Arbor so if I was thinking fine dining I’d be thinking maybe The Chop House, The Gandy Dancer or maybe even The Whitney in Detroit? Or are we going even nicer than any of that?

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue May 19, 2020 8:55 pm

Rate This wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:41 pm
Bryce wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:31 pm
Rate This wrote:

Not perfectly... I’m from Ann Arbor so if I was thinking fine dining I’d be thinking maybe The Chop House, The Gandy Dancer or maybe even The Whitney in Detroit? Or are we going even nicer than any of that?
The Whitney would have fit 20 years ago. It no longer does.

I like " The Earl" in Ann Arbor.

HD74

Post by HD74 » Tue May 19, 2020 9:03 pm

I must be a working class like TT (except I wear a $200 helmet) my favorite fine dining has always been Modes Bum Steer.

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic