Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Owosso barber

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
TC Talks

Re: Owosso barber

Post by TC Talks » Mon May 18, 2020 8:33 pm

Still responding like a one trick troll? I think we will need to assume you just like yelling but can't understand the complexity of our Constitution. In case you are wondering: MFA Journalism. I spent plenty of time studying the First Amendment.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

HD74

Post by HD74 » Mon May 18, 2020 8:54 pm

How the hell did you get a picture of my ex? In full psycho mode at that.

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Tue May 19, 2020 12:23 am

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue May 19, 2020 6:27 am

Fair enough. So your comments were just a keyboard opinion. You have an opinion, as well as I do. Your don't like mine, and I don't like yours.
I cited actual U.S. Constitution passages to support my opinion.

Will you do the same?

You said "I will rely on the legal experts." OK. Fair enough. Which ones are claiming stay-at-home orders are in violation of the U.S. Constitution, and are they able to recite an actual passage that these orders violate? Please provide a link to one example. Of course, such claims are one thing. Actually being able to win a court case on such grounds is another.

I've read a number of articles that cite a "compelling government interest" test (e.g. such as to protect the general welfare of the citizenry) in order for a state or local governmental action to pass muster, which has been the standard established by court precedent.

One such article:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/evangerstm ... dc48b3104e

The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled on similar matters on prior occasions.

Excerpt:
The Supreme Court has had little to say about state power to override people’s liberty during epidemics. The most helpful case is from back in 1905 during the smallpox epidemic, Jacobson v. Massachusetts. In that case, a pastor argued that a mandatory smallpox vaccination violated his constitutional rights. The Supreme Court sided with Massachusetts but framed its decision carefully.

The Court acknowledged that “the liberty secured by the Fourteenth Amendment . . . consists, in part, in the right of a person ‘to live and work where he will.’" But it added: “in every well-ordered society . . . the rights of the individual in respect of his liberty may at times, under the pressure of great dangers, be subjected to such restraint, to be enforced by reasonable regulations, as the safety of the general public may demand.”
There is an interesting court case ongoing in Oregon, but the suit there was filed on the basis of the OREGON Constitution, not the U.S. Constitution.

https://pamplinmedia.com/pt/9-news/4670 ... rder-pwoff

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue May 19, 2020 6:51 am

YOU do not have the right.... to restrict freedoms as outlined and guaranteed by the US Constitution.
Private citizens certainly have the right to restrict "freedoms" on their PRIVATE PROPERTY.

Most conservative legal scholars would agree with my statement.

You profess to be a conservative. I presume you support private property rights?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue May 19, 2020 7:11 am

Fair enough; I've challenged you to provide ONE third party source to support your opinion. You are either unable or simply too lazy to do so.

As for my "liberal" opinions, I am a registered Republican and voted Republican for all major statewide offices every election since the age of 18.

So, you do not believe the U.S. Constitution provides private property owners the ability to restrict speech, practice of religion, etc. on *their* private property?

I have no issue with you saying that state restrictions on businesses due to COVID-19 are bad public policy or are immoral. I agree that some restrictions are overreach, and in fact, unlawful under State of Michigan law. (Yet, that opinion is "liberal." Interesting.) But you specifically referenced the U.S. Constitution earlier. I've challenged you to provide a basis for that claim, and you've failed in that regard.

I guess name calling and using juvenile terms like "butt hurt" comes more naturally to you than doing research.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Tue May 19, 2020 8:31 am

MW: you’re my hero. Someone who actually shut down R with FACTS that he can’t dispute.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue May 19, 2020 6:13 pm

Wow, R Bedell. You know how to use the laugh emoticon on repeat. I'm impressed.

Are you a condescending asshole to everyone with whom you interact? Just curious.

Of course, just like all of my earlier questions, you'll likely ignore that one, too. You do not seem too interested in having a dialogue.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue May 19, 2020 6:20 pm

R Bedell wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:08 am
MWmetalhead:

Whatever. :lol :lol :lol
This one is an idiot. They're always from the East-Central part of the state.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue May 19, 2020 9:41 pm

Good one

― Noam Chomsky

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed May 20, 2020 4:07 am

TC Talks wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 6:20 pm
R Bedell wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:08 am
MWmetalhead:

Whatever. :lol :lol :lol
This one is an idiot. They're always from the East-Central part of the state.

TCT your record is less than stellar here. MW even pointed this out after repeated calls for a retraction:
MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 8:50 pm
For those who are not yet aware, the guy in the photo in the opening post lives in New Hudson, MI - between Brighton and Novi - and installs flooring for a living. He is not a professional political operative, has no ties to Secretary DeVos, and certainly is not a resident of Los Angeles.

TC Talks - your info sources suck.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Fri May 22, 2020 8:46 am

Whitmer is making steps to reopen more business sectors. I understand the need to proceed cautiously so not to experience a second wave. She continues to refer to watching the data. Well there are many states that have found ways to open industries like salons and barbershops. Why is Michigan so far behind neighboring states that are doing this?

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri May 22, 2020 10:07 am

Politically motivated.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Fri May 22, 2020 10:11 am

I’m not sure there’s a political upside to keeping barbershops closed... All Whitmer is doing is making more people willing to break social distancing recommendations by not reopening some of these services with reasonable accommodations. How is David Custer supposed to live a reasonable lifestyle on only one income? He can’t use his professional social media page to promote his side hustle?

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri May 22, 2020 10:25 am

Really? You need to brush up on your reading...

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... l-alinsky/

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic