Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Re-Open Thread

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Re-Open Thread

Post by TC Talks » Mon May 18, 2020 10:28 am

The state is preparing to reopen Region 6 & 8. It began with a conversation with local Emergency Operations teams, and some of the restaurant leaders. Things are starting to open.

Here is Executive Order 88 which discusses Return to School Advisory Council.
https://content.govdelivery.com/attachm ... 020-88.pdf

There's more to come this week... Governor will hold a press conference at 1:30p today.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Matt

Re: Re-Open Thread

Post by Matt » Mon May 18, 2020 10:31 am

TCT, when do 6 and 8 reopen? Prior to the weekend?

I'll delete my response on the other forum, which should allow you to delete there...

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon May 18, 2020 11:10 am

Regions 4 and 2 really should be included in that as well.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon May 18, 2020 11:11 am

Matt wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 10:31 am

I'll delete my response on the other forum, which should allow you to delete there...
the current order expires May 28th, the director of our regional economic council suggested today that most businesses would not be ready to accommodate Memorial day guests.

Probably because they understand if they open things and it goes poorly we will just have to close again.

My impression is that regions like Detroit and Grand Rapids may have an extension coming.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon May 18, 2020 11:12 am

bmw wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:10 am
They very well may be we just wouldn't be hearing about it.

Don't expect the Detroit metro area to open, Grand Rapids has had an issue and I don't know the status of Alpena but it wasn't stable a while ago.

― Noam Chomsky

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon May 18, 2020 11:15 am

TC Talks wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:11 am
Matt wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 10:31 am

the current order expires May 28th, the director of our regional economic council suggested today that most businesses would not be ready to accommodate Memorial day guests.

Probably because they understand if they open things and it goes poorly we will just have to close again.

My impression is that regions like Detroit and Grand Rapids may have an extension coming.
Its no secret we've been at odds with the orders, but while acknowledging those differences, I'm wondering what your thoughts are on businesses not being ready to re-open? I'd understand if from a staffing standpoint that they can't fully get up and running on short notice, but I would think its a dereliction of duty to not be ready with safety precautions.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon May 18, 2020 11:19 am

TC Talks wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:12 am
bmw wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:10 am
They very well may be we just wouldn't be hearing about it.

Don't expect the Detroit metro area to open, Grand Rapids has had an issue and I don't know the status of Alpena but it wasn't stable a while ago.
Isabella and Clare Counties should be part of 4, IMO, but you do have to have a dividing line somewhere I guess.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon May 18, 2020 12:28 pm

Nice scoop, TCT: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 212594002/

I agree with BMW that region 4 should be included, and part of region 2.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon May 18, 2020 12:57 pm

Whitmer and the Restaurant Association will have an announcement at 1:30p

― Noam Chomsky

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon May 18, 2020 1:09 pm

So these counties can re-open:

Otsego (99 cases)
Alpena (91 cases)
Crawford (57 cases)

But these cannot?

Lake (3 cases)
Oscoda (5 cases)
Alcona (6 cases)
Osceola (10 cases)
Clare (14 cases)
Ogemaw (17 cases)

Sorry, but that region map is sorely outdated. It was drawn up over 3 weeks ago and should have been adjusted based on current numbers. And more specifically - the bounds of Zone 4 is a joke. Saginaw county, where there's nearly a thousand cases, is in the same zone as Alcona and Oscoda counties where there's a mere 11 combined cases?

btw - here is the region map for anybody curious:

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon May 18, 2020 1:18 pm

I pulled some strings with the Governor, Region 4 will be the last region to reopen...

― Noam Chomsky

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon May 18, 2020 1:25 pm

This was easy. 3-region map. Based mostly on actual numbers with geographic location occasionally taken into consideration.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon May 18, 2020 1:37 pm

My friend Jim Carruthers is with the Governor today. As the Mayor of Traverse City, he represents that hard balance between safety and commerce. Jim has been working with our local chamber and the state to come up with a safe plan, not a political plan. I love that she phrased region 6 as "Greater Traverse City Area". In case anyone questioned that we have the most to risk.

This has been going on since I eluded that things were in motion over a week ago. Here's the plan:
https://www.michigan.gov/documents/whit ... 9875_7.pdf

Do you notice how she stresses "Worker Safety" ? Did you hear this from Iowa, South Dakota, Georgia, or the other states that jumped into the deep end (perhaps) too quickly.

Finally, she said "Don't rush out and do something that will force us to close the area again"

So, back to my premise: It's not she, it's us... Our behavior is the reason why she took action.

― Noam Chomsky

Deleted User 13307

Post by Deleted User 13307 » Mon May 18, 2020 2:19 pm

Great news. Let's keep it safe and keep this kind of thing coming! It's terrific that the businesses in those regions now have the ability to decide when they are prepared to operate safely.

We could argue about what counties belong in which regions forever .. hopefully these will all become moot soon. That said, I like BMW's map with a couple tweaks. Kent and Genesee counties should be tossed in with Macomb, Oakland and Wayne in the last "region" to open. And all the counties that border Indiana & Ohio should be opened in the next wave as many of their residents are leaving Michigan to take advantage of open businesses across the border.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon May 18, 2020 2:29 pm

So, I'm confused here. Unfortunately, it's a state in which I have become accustomed.

A bar or restaurant in zones 6 and 8 will be allowed to reopen at 50% capacity. A 200 seat bar can have 100 people in it at a time. Yet, a barber that only services one client at a time will not be allowed to reopen.

Sounds like the Restaurant Association has one hell of a lobby.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic