Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Masks In Public

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
hanson

Re: Masks In Public

Post by hanson » Sun May 10, 2020 4:32 pm

Vic Doucette wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:28 am
I wear one out of respect for those around me.

I did notice the first time I went out for a masked walk around the neighborhood that I quickly became short of breath. I had to expose my nose to get enough air to keep going. I pulled the mask up and practiced social distancing whenever I saw anyone approach.
Masks are built differently. Some to restrict the flow of air away from the wearer to protect others around them. Other masks restrict the flow of air toward the wearer to protect them. No wonder there is confusion.

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Sun May 10, 2020 5:38 pm

hanson wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 4:32 pm
Vic Doucette wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:28 am
I wear one out of respect for those around me.

I did notice the first time I went out for a masked walk around the neighborhood that I quickly became short of breath. I had to expose my nose to get enough air to keep going. I pulled the mask up and practiced social distancing whenever I saw anyone approach.
Masks are built differently. Some to restrict the flow of air away from the wearer to protect others around them. Other masks restrict the flow of air toward the wearer to protect them. No wonder there is confusion.
Found the maker on Facebook. Homemade, $10 each including home delivery.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Sun May 10, 2020 8:55 pm

MUST wear a mask when you are going to McDonalds though!!!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon May 11, 2020 12:38 am

matt1 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:55 pm
MUST wear a mask when you are going to McDonalds though!!!
Ok...

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon May 11, 2020 7:28 am

I have started wearing a mask anytime I enter a public place in which people gather or work. In the beginning I didn't because I didn't (and still don't) think I personally need the protection. Medical personnel were suffering a severe shortage and figured all the masks I was having made by my "Old Lady's With Sewing Machines" brigade would be better put to use if given to them.

Then someone posted (I think TC Talks) this in another thread. A light went on that wearing a mask is more for the protection of others. That made sense, so I comply.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed May 13, 2020 11:22 am

While I agree this is necessary for the short term, I'm concerned that masks may become a permanent fixture in society, which would be truly sad to say the least. Our faces are a big part of how we personally communicate with each other. Facial expressions say a lot, and covering our faces limits what we express to others and what they see from us. We already have a younger generation that is sorely lacking interpersonal communication skills due to the advent of virtual communication avenues. This can only get worse if society institutes a policy of hiding our faces from others with whom we interact. I can see people getting used to this under the guise that "you never know when the next thing's gonna strike". History is full of crises similar to what we're going through right now. Temporary measures may have been taken to deal with the situation at the time, but most were relaxed once the crisis in question passed. I would hate to see the wearing of masks become a permanent fixture. I liken it to spending one's life in a bomb shelter because you never know if they'll launch the nukes today.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

HD74

Post by HD74 » Wed May 13, 2020 3:08 pm

Most people I see in the stores now are wearing masks.
Menards has a guard to make sure you have one.
Some grocery stores aren't enforcing it however.
From what I can tell of those I see without one, it seems they may think methamphetamine makes you immune from the virus.

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed May 13, 2020 8:25 pm

HD74 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 3:08 pm
From what I can tell of those I see without one, it seems they may think methamphetamine makes you immune from the virus.
Must be shopping at Walmart.
:rollin

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu May 14, 2020 8:17 am

It will be interesting to see how banks handle the wearing of masks in their lobbies once they re-open.

HD74

Post by HD74 » Thu May 14, 2020 10:24 pm

Probably the same as folk in a convenience store do. Gotta give ya a twitch.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Mon May 18, 2020 7:58 am

Just an update, still lots of folks not wearing masks at the store. Signs are clearly posted on the doors about the need for masks and the governors orders. Unfortunately management doesn't enforce the use of masks on customers. It makes me feel "unsafe". Seems they value making a sale MORE than the health and safety of the workers and other customers who are complying.

HD74

Post by HD74 » Mon May 18, 2020 2:36 pm

Polly's and the Leslie grocery store are not enforcing it at all, probably don't want to argue with the tweakers.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon May 18, 2020 6:29 pm

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

HD74

Post by HD74 » Tue May 19, 2020 11:12 pm

I absolutely support this mask, as long as he actually wears it.
The tweakers should want to wear masks, hides the teeth.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed May 20, 2020 8:38 am

TheForce wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:58 am
Just an update, still lots of folks not wearing masks at the store. Signs are clearly posted on the doors about the need for masks and the governors orders. Unfortunately management doesn't enforce the use of masks on customers. It makes me feel "unsafe". Seems they value making a sale MORE than the health and safety of the workers and other customers who are complying.
I don't feel particularly unsafe around people who don't wear masks, and I'm diabetic. I understand the concern for workers' welfare, which is why I wear a mask in public areas. That being said, I figure I'm more at risk driving a car than walking among maskless folks. Life, in and of itself, is inherently fatal and chalked full of risk. I had a high school friend die a few years back when she slipped in the shower. Hit her head and suffered a fatal concussion. It's the last way I'd expect to go, but you never know what could happen today. Still, it hasn't stopped me from taking showers (my friends will thank me). :razz

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic