Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Pat Caputo laid off from Oakland press

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
joe60

Pat Caputo laid off from Oakland press

Post by joe60 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:52 pm

"After 37 years at The Oakland Press, I was laid off today. I am so grateful for the wonderful people I’ve worked with and for there - and the many wonderful experiences. What a privilege. And especially to the readers, I say thank you. I love you all very much."

Mega Hertz

Re: Pat Caputo laid off from Oakland press

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:34 pm

Who was it that had the "Caputo-isms" here years ago...Sipowicz?

Andy, if you see this thread, and you had that thread, drop in and say hi!

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

JLesinski

Post by JLesinski » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:31 pm

You only need to listen to Caputo for one shift to recognize his verbal crutches. During any four hour shift he is likely to say all of the following multiple times:
-This that and the other
-All these other things
-okay?
-This and that

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:42 pm

Oh, no. This thread was great. Lots of spoonerisms. One I remember was "set up roots here" or something like that. It was great. There was like 10 or 15 different examples.

-TurkeyTop

Realist

Post by Realist » Fri May 01, 2020 12:33 pm

I’m sorry that he lost his job at the Oakland Press. He’s a decent columnist

I wouldn’t have shed a tear if he’d lost his job on 97.1. His verbal skills make him come across as a thin skinned uneducated idiot on the air...

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Fri May 01, 2020 12:54 pm

JLesinski wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:31 pm
You only need to listen to Caputo for one shift to recognize his verbal crutches. During any four hour shift he is likely to say all of the following multiple times:
-This that and the other
-All these other things
-okay?
-This and that
I've said it before. I believe I'm the only one on this board that enjoyed listening to him on The Ticket.

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Fri May 01, 2020 1:09 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 12:54 pm
JLesinski wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:31 pm
-This that and the other
-All these other things
-okay?
-This and that
I've said it before. I believe I'm the only one on this board that enjoyed listening to him on The Ticket.
Count me as #2. While I don't agree with him all the time, he is very knowledgeable about baseball and about the only one that will talk about baseball longer than 15 minutes on that station. I usually only get time on the weekends to listen to him.

Deleted User 15225

Post by Deleted User 15225 » Fri May 01, 2020 3:06 pm

He's an absolute moron when he tries to talk about anything other than sports. You'd think being borderline retarded when discussing non-sports topics, he'd shy away from them, but noooooo. He insists on talking about pot, supreme court decisions, coronavirus, etc. He's just horrid. I will say, when it comes to baseball (like you said) he is pretty damn knowledgeable. He really gets into the nitty gritty of minor leagues and prospects.

wtfdetroit

Post by wtfdetroit » Fri May 01, 2020 4:32 pm

Pat is pretty knowledgeable on hockey and football too. But I do agree, when he veers off-topic, I change the the station. Unfortunately he probably has no choice and then the idiots that call in to talk about the off topics are not helping the cause either. Stick to sports like the WDFN days of old.

Momo

Post by Momo » Sat May 02, 2020 7:22 pm

I haven't listened to him in a long time, but I remember when he would reproach critical callers by saying, "Can we just have a normal conversation?" As if that is really possible in the context of sports talk radio, where the power differential between host & caller definitely favors the host.

Sgt. Sackto

Post by Sgt. Sackto » Sun May 03, 2020 8:49 pm

I like Caputo on baseball. He is the closest thing we have here to Chicago's Bruce Levine who drills deep into both teams there and is exclusively baseball. Course Detroit is cut rate in everything so Caputo does about 10% of the job Levine does but you really can't blame him for that lack of resources.

Deleted User 15225

Post by Deleted User 15225 » Mon May 04, 2020 5:12 pm

If he stuck to sports he'd probably be fine. But he starts on controversial topics and then says "no politics here"...well, dipshit, you can't discuss most controversial things without it being political.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon May 04, 2020 7:27 pm

Hate to be a dick, but...

When I tune into 97.1, I'd kinda like to get away from news and politics. Granted, there is a heavy news cycle right now, but I like to have a place where I can escape that. But I see your point. You can't introduce a political topic and expect no politics.

My little music room in the basement is where I listen, and I like to try and keep that politics free as possible. Sure, some of the stuff I listen to has that same political bend, but I always treat it so that my turntable isn't taking sides. Nugent sits alongside Mellencamp in my record collection.

-TurkeyTop

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon May 04, 2020 8:04 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 7:27 pm

My little music room in the basement is where I listen, and I like to try and keep that politics free as possible.
No REO Golden Country or CCR Fortunate Son for you?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon May 04, 2020 8:27 pm

Bryce wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 8:04 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 7:27 pm

My little music room in the basement is where I listen, and I like to try and keep that politics free as possible.
No REO Golden Country or CCR Fortunate Son for you?
Nope. Burnt on both of them.

That's where I need my break. Come on, we have a BIDEN thread in the SE MI section!

-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic