Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

4 sanctuary counties now exist in Michigan

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

4 sanctuary counties now exist in Michigan

Post by bmw » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:43 pm

That is, sanctuaries from Whitmer's order:

-Leelanau County
-Benzie County
-Manistee County
-Mason County
“While we understand her desire to protect the public, we question some restrictions that she has imposed as overstepping her executive authority,” the sheriffs wrote. “She has created a vague framework of emergency laws that only confuse Michigan citizens.”

Instead of strict enforcement, the sheriffs say they “will deal with every case as an individual situation and apply common sense.”
Huh. Imagine that. Common sense!

https://www.mlive.com/news/2020/04/4-no ... -laws.html
They noted that their focus should be on reopening their counties and getting people back to work, but added that CDC guidelines such as social distancing, washing hands, wearing masks, etc…should be followed.

“Each of us took an oath to uphold and defend the Michigan Constitution, as well as the US Constitution, and to ensure that your God given rights are not violated,” the sheriffs said. “We believe that we are the last line of defense in protecting your civil liberties.”

“Together, as a community, we will overcome this pandemic, and as Americans, we will persevere and come out stronger than before. As sheriffs of your community we want you to know we have your back and will continue to serve the people who have entrusted us with your protection.”
Sounds to me like these sheriffs have essentially given Whitmer the middle finger and have decided to just enforce CDC guidelines.

GOOD.

Rate This

Re: 4 sanctuary counties now exist in Michigan

Post by Rate This » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:09 pm

bmw wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:43 pm
That is, sanctuaries from Whitmer's order:

-Leelanau County
-Benzie County
-Manistee County
-Mason County
“While we understand her desire to protect the public, we question some restrictions that she has imposed as overstepping her executive authority,” the sheriffs wrote. “She has created a vague framework of emergency laws that only confuse Michigan citizens.”

Instead of strict enforcement, the sheriffs say they “will deal with every case as an individual situation and apply common sense.”
Huh. Imagine that. Common sense!

https://www.mlive.com/news/2020/04/4-no ... -laws.html
They noted that their focus should be on reopening their counties and getting people back to work, but added that CDC guidelines such as social distancing, washing hands, wearing masks, etc…should be followed.

“Each of us took an oath to uphold and defend the Michigan Constitution, as well as the US Constitution, and to ensure that your God given rights are not violated,” the sheriffs said. “We believe that we are the last line of defense in protecting your civil liberties.”

“Together, as a community, we will overcome this pandemic, and as Americans, we will persevere and come out stronger than before. As sheriffs of your community we want you to know we have your back and will continue to serve the people who have entrusted us with your protection.”
Sounds to me like these sheriffs have essentially given Whitmer the middle finger and have decided to just enforce CDC guidelines.

GOOD.
But can they do that? This one probably could be tested in the courts to find out.

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:39 pm

Rate This wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:09 pm
But can they do that? This one probably could be tested in the courts to find out.
Well, they did. Their position would likely be that part of their job, just like for any other government official, is to uphold the Constitution, and that they weren't going to enforce any laws that in their view violate it. Would make for an interesting court case, but I don't know who would sue them.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:53 pm

bmw wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:39 pm
Rate This wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:09 pm
Well, they did. Their position would likely be that part of their job, just like for any other government official, is to uphold the Constitution, and that they weren't going to enforce any laws that in their view violate it. Would make for an interesting court case, but I don't know who would sue them.
The State?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:34 pm

Benzie County has 4 police officers. Leelanau County has been ticketing, they are just pissed about the tons of phone calls. Both Sheriffs will change their tune if their prosecutors tell them to enforce the E.O.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:38 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:34 pm
Benzie County has 4 police officers. Leelanau County has been ticketing, they are just pissed about the tons of phone calls. Both Sheriffs will change their tune if their prosecutors tell them to enforce the E.O.
A sheriff does not report to the prosecutor. They are independent offices.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:42 pm

Matt wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:38 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:34 pm
A sheriff does not report to the prosecutor. They are independent offices.
You don't have any idea how things work...

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:49 pm

Actually, I do. Both offices generally work together to grease the wheels of the prison industrial complex. The sheriff and prosecutor are equals in county governance.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:00 pm

The way I always heard it, in rural areas, the County Sheriff is the ultimate enforcement authority. There may be constables and/or deputies, but they answer to the sheriff. True that prosecutors may try to usurp the Sheriff's power, but they are not allowed to arrest people.

I'm glad there is some sanity in Northwest Michigan outside Grand Traverse County.

I'm really surprised that TC Talks is Scandinavian. I thought that based on his authoritarian/totalitarian attitudes, he was German for sure.

Maybe the Northern Lower Peninsula and the Upper Peninsula should form a new state, so they don't have to kowtow to Detroit, Lansing, and Grand Rapids. That way they would have two Senators to balance this insanity. Michigan is really already two states.

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:51 am

As I stated before, the Attorney General can remove a Sheriff from office if need be. She is the chief law enforcement officer in the state. What you heard from whatever hayseed source is wrong.
"Law enforcement officers – including those elected to serve their communities – take an oath to uphold the law. By statute, the Governor’s Executive Orders are law and law enforcement officers are duty-bound to enforce them. As with similar offenses, those law enforcement officers on the front lines have a reasonable amount of discretion when responding to complaints. We trust that discretion is being used wisely to protect the public health of the communities and state they serve."

― Noam Chomsky

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:34 am

No, the AG can't do it. Whatever you heard is WRONG.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:07 am

As I stated before, the Attorney General can remove a Sheriff from office if need be. She is the chief law enforcement officer in the state. What you heard from whatever hayseed source is wrong.
By that theory, the Attorney General of the United States, who is the chief law enforcement officer of the Nation, should be able to remove a Mayor or Governor who declares or promotes a sanctuary city.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:19 am

Bryce wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:07 am
By that theory, the Attorney General of the United States, who is the chief law enforcement officer of the Nation, should be able to remove a Mayor or Governor who declares or promotes a sanctuary city.
It depends what the state constitution says... if it gives that power than ok. Not all 50 of them will. As for the other thing... that isn’t a power they have nor does that have anything to do with anything.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:57 am

Rate This wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:19 am

It depends what the state constitution says... if it gives that power than ok.
Really?

I seem to recall there being a dozen or more states in which slavery was legal according to the State Constitution. Seems the Federal Government took umbrage and corrected the situation.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:23 am

Bryce wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:57 am
Rate This wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:19 am

It depends what the state constitution says... if it gives that power than ok.
Really?

I seem to recall there being a dozen or more states in which slavery was legal according to the State Constitution. Seems the Federal Government took umbrage and corrected the situation.
While that is true it took umbrage and then the states said “see ya!” And then the U.S. said “get back here!” And civil war we had. I’m struggling to see that happen here.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic