Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Retro TV WHNE

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
CK-722

Re: Retro TV WHNE

Post by CK-722 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:51 pm

Well, you said it was too much trouble to build a dipole. Just hang it up and try it then.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:10 pm

I gave it a try on Wednesday. Only "10%" on our 1998 Panasonic with the CM3020 on the chimney.

It takes 50% to decode 😣

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:24 am

Class A stations should be permitted 15 kW on VHF lo and full power stations should be permitted 100 kW, subject to co-channel contour protections, of course.

The reference service contour should not be 28 dBu. It should be the same as the channels operating in the VHF-hi portion of the VHF band.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:11 pm

I second that motion.

Cantv

Post by Cantv » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:57 am

Hi, I'm a new member. Did WHNE cut back on their transmission power since the move to RF3? Was able to receive it most of the time at 50%. I am about 43 miles ENE of the tower. Very few people in our neck of the woods received this channel before. Now only a signal as high as 10%. The present set-up is a CM3671 with a CM pre-amp and a CM 8-way distribution amp that is feeding 5 TV's , FM receiver and 3 Homeworx convertor/recorders.

szmigiel

Post by szmigiel » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:03 pm

I am still seeing WHNE, the signal is strong for me, but the quality is very low, so it is choppy and can go blank for a time. Before both the signal and quality were high. I am about 14 miles away for the tower in Shelby TWP NE of the tower.

Cantv

Post by Cantv » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:34 pm

Your fortunate that you can get it. I really miss GET TV. It was my back-up station when nothing else was worth watching.

tvbobn

Post by tvbobn » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:35 pm

Cantv wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:57 am
Hi, I'm a new member. Did WHNE cut back on their transmission power since the move to RF3? Was able to receive it most of the time at 50%. I am about 43 miles ENE of the tower. Very few people in our neck of the woods received this channel before. Now only a signal as high as 10%. The present set-up is a CM3671 with a CM pre-amp and a CM 8-way distribution amp that is feeding 5 TV's , FM receiver and 3 Homeworx convertor/recorders.
I've been in touch with the owners of WHNE and they've told me that they've heard from viewers out to 32 miles, but if your at 43 miles that sounds like the farthest.

They've been at the 6,500 watts of ERP that their STA is approved for since coming on the air on channel 3.

They've sent a engineer around the metro area testing a Channel Master antenna since coming back on the air. The locations are posted on their web site at: whnetv.com to see if you live near the test sites that they got signal and picture according to the post.

Frontier Airlines SUCKS! They're a bunch of thieves. Don't fly with them!

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:44 pm

I'm confused at the STA request. The STA up to this point was for 6500 watts, but the application for the STA extension said 3000 watts. I suspect that the Directional Antenna is part of the problem.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

windsor

Post by windsor » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:24 pm

I went out on a limb and bought a channel master with lowvhf 60 mile range and can only get it up about 20ft but cant pick it up.Put me back 150 bucks with shipping.

Prett y much done with WHNE bad business decision not getting the application in sooner having to accept low vhf.Lost thousands of old viewers with no low vhf which most of the new HD antennas don't have.Most viewers just think they went off the air.

Great opportunity for some of the other LP stations on UHF with better coverage area of metro Detroit to snag a station like GET TV or Light TV.

Just a matter of time.....

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:52 pm

Check your cables, windsor. Are you using RG-6 coax? Do you have any splitters that could be problematic? Is your antenna directional or omni? You might be picking up enough unwanted "noise" from the Sandusky, OH station on RF-3 that it is impairing your reception of WHNE.

The signal at my locale is consistent with the same strength I've observed over the past couple weeks. Comes in at exactly the same strength each time. The open "V" of my rabbit ears needs to face toward the Oak Park / Detroit border.

I can even pick up the station (barely) with my paper thin $1.99 flat antenna - which isn't even supposed to be capable of picking up VHF low - if I position it juuuuust right.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

windsor

Post by windsor » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:09 pm

Cant be Sandusky Im not near lake erie at my home in east Windsor a couple miles from the river.

I bought a CM 3018, maybe needs more height but I already have 2 other antenna;s that I use that work great but not vhf low.I got burned pure and simple, its on me.

Going to take it our to the cottage and try for WJW Clev RF8 so it don't go to waste.My antenna buying is over..... :horns

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:01 pm

Sorry to hear about that bad luck.

Unfortunately, Windsor/Essex County is in a null of WHNE's signal pattern. Much less wattage gets sent toward Windsor than most other directions. The high rise buildings that sit between your home and WHNE's tower likely do not help the cause, and there could be some man made noise as well that is causing issues with signal decoding.

https://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php ... 0657&map=Y

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:12 am

In an effort to assist their viewers, WHNE today (4/16) published an antenna guide and map on its Facebook Page

ANTENNA LIST FROM WHNE*--
This antenna list has various antennas that we are suggesting for these different zones (on the map) for receiving Low VHF signal channel 3 from WHNE. We've checked the specifications on these antennas and the manufacturers claim them to be good for Low VHF (54 to 88MHz) and High VHF (174 to 216MHz) and UHF (470 to 608MHz). Check the specifications for which ever antenna you decide on, to make sure it will work for Low VHF.
If any of these antennas offer Low VHF extension Kits, be sure to purchase them with your antenna.
Please remember that the farther out you live from the WHNE tower site in Oak Park, it is better to have your antenna outside as high as possible. In some cases, it can be mounted in your attic.
Zone A (Within 4 miles of WHNE)
We have almost finished a little video on how to make a really low cost antenna that has worked for Zone A (it's worked even a little farther out in our tests). This homemade antenna video will be posted right in this spot as soon as it's completed.
We didn't find any other antennas to suggest for close-in expect if you can find a set of "old" rabbit ears with sticks that go out 48 inches. (New rabbit ears antennas sticks are too short)
A viewer took two new ones and took off sticks on one and taped them to the other antenna, making one with long sticks. He's getting good signal with it. (The sticks need to be over 49 inches on each side to receive channel 3)
Zone B - (out to 12 Miles)(We can suggest that these antennas should be good for Zone B):
https://winegard.com/…/platinum-hd-…/pl ... es-hd7000r
(This is the one we tested all over the Metro with and had good pictures at all of the test locations that we listed)
Available online for around $45
https://winegard.com/…/classic…/classic ... i-ya-7000c
Available for around $74 from Amazon
https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=ANT3037XR
Available online for around $70
Zone C - (out to 17 miles)(We can suggest that this antenna should be good for Zone C):
https://www.channelmaster.com/Digital_H ... m-3016.htm
Available online for around $99
If you live farther out than Zone C we suggest one of these larger antennas:
https://www.channelmaster.com/Masterpie ... m-5018.htm
Available online for around $180
https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=REFURB-HD-8200U
Available online for around $130
https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p ... LAvailable online for around $190
https://www.channelmaster.com/Digital_H ... m-3020.htm
Available online for around $180
*We are only suggesting that these antennas will work, but we can not guarantee that they will work at your home. Be sure to have them installed safely by someone that knows what they're doing.

---
Unfortunately, many of the comments reflect an opinion that their existing "digital" antennas work fine for other stations, and they're not going to spend effort or money on another, or aren't able or permitted to erect outdoor equipment, so they're saying "buh-bye" to TV3.

windsor

Post by windsor » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:19 am

What a F'ed up business model.....its like I own a restaurant but my customers have to bring their own plates and utensils to be able to eat there. :lol

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic