Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Best/worst announcers of all time.

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
ftballfan

Re: Best/worst announcers of all time.

Post by ftballfan » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:11 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:53 pm
I know Pat O'Brien's voice and I know what he looks like. I remember his sportscasting days fairly well. He was mostly a roaming reporter / studio host.

The CBS play-by-play man whose name escaped me was Tim Ryan. Absolutely hated his work on NBA basketball and NFL football. He was a rock solid sports journalist, but his voice and style just seemed out of place when it came to those two sports. I thought he was deceased, but wikipedia makes no mention of a passing.
According to Wikipedia, Tim Ryan was paired with Matt Millen in the 1992 and 1993 seasons

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:55 pm

According to Wikipedia, Tim Ryan was paired with Matt Millen in the 1992 and 1993 seasons
The kiss of death.

format this

Post by format this » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:09 am

One of the greatest, and I’m shocked no one has mentioned this hockey broadcaster... Mike “Doc” Emrick. The best pbp pipes in the NHL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:52 am

Kind of hard to compare announcing styles across all sports. I would have to break it down by sport.

One that stands out to be head and shoulders, at least to me, above all others for College Football is:

For you youngsters, that's Keith Jackson. I'm kind of surprised he hasn't been mentioned so far.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:20 am

format this wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:09 am
One of the greatest, and I’m shocked no one has mentioned this hockey broadcaster... Mike “Doc” Emrick. The best pbp pipes in the NHL.

I had a few encounters with him decades ago when I was doing hockey-related things. As professional, pleasant and helpful as could be.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:00 pm

format this wrote:

THANK YOU! :hat It'd be a toss-up between Emrick and the late Dan Kelly, but I'd go with Doc who I believe began his hockey announcing career with the Port Huron Flags.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:12 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:00 pm
format this wrote:

THANK YOU! :hat It'd be a toss-up between Emrick and the late Dan Kelly, but I'd go with Doc who I believe began his hockey announcing career with the Port Huron Flags.
That is who he was calling games for when I met him circa 1979.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:49 pm

And one of Doc's mentors was the greatest there ever was...Ernie: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com ... fort-wayne

The censorship king from out of state.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:24 pm

Bryce wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:52 am
Kind of hard to compare announcing styles across all sports. I would have to break it down by sport.

One that stands out to be head and shoulders, at least to me, above all others for College Football is:

For you youngsters, that's Keith Jackson. I'm kind of surprised he hasn't been mentioned so far.
/end thread

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:27 pm

Matt wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:24 pm
Bryce wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:52 am

/end thread
Is that best of all time in your opinion or you just can’t take it anymore?

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:54 pm

There is not going to be a better comment than that, hence /end thread. I didn't think it was that complicated.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:13 pm

Matt wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:54 pm
There is not going to be a better comment than that, hence /end thread. I didn't think it was that complicated.
Keith Jackson was a pros pro.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:45 am

He's definitely my favorite.

Most remember him for his college football work, but he was also a terrific basketball and baseball play-by-play man.

Sorry, but I've gotta disagree on Doc Emrick. His delivery is too over-the-top and clownish for my liking. I will, however, praise him for his encyclopedic knowledge of the game of hockey.

Although Gary Thorne also gets too excited when calling hockey at times, I always preferred his NHL play-by-play work and definitely his voice to that of Emrick.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:59 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:45 am
He's definitely my favorite.

Most remember him for his college football work, but he was also a terrific basketball and baseball play-by-play man.

Sorry, but I've gotta disagree on Doc Emrick. His delivery is too over-the-top and clownish for my liking. I will, however, praise him for his encyclopedic knowledge of the game of hockey.

Although Gary Thorne also gets too excited when calling hockey at times, I always preferred his NHL play-by-play work and definitely his voice to that of Emrick.
I liked Gary Thorne and Bill Clement. Were they both good? I don't entirely remember, but I do remember them calling game 4 in 1997.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:03 am

Admittedly, my view is a bit jaundiced here, but the Televised Hockey PBP person I have enjoyed most over the years is Foster Hewitt Award winner Dave Strader. Dave started with Adirondack, then honed his skills during some miserable times with the Red WIng organization and really came into his own as the team improved.

He went on to call games for various networks including ESPN, ABC and NBC. I think he even did a brief stint with Hockey Night In Canada as well as doing PBP with the Coyotes, Panthers and the Stars.

He was genuine, both professionally and personally. I miss him.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic