Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WXYX- TV Storm Coverage

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
imbadboy

WXYX- TV Storm Coverage

Post by imbadboy » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:12 am

Whats the deal with Channel 7 storm coverage?. Talk about overkill! Last nights coverage seemed like it dragged on forever. I normally like Dave Rexroth, but he was rambling on and on that there was a horrendous storm going to hit any minute. We barley got a drop in my area. Is WXYZ-TV trying to justify the cost of Rexroths basement weather studio or what? We have enough to deal with right now with COVID-19. For a lot of people , TV is a brief escape from the pandemic thats going on around us and we don't need our shows interrupted for every little rain storm. Didn't see this kind of coverage on any of the other stations.

sfpcc

Re: WXYX- TV Storm Coverage

Post by sfpcc » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:48 pm

I caught the interrupted shows On Demand.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:45 pm

imbadboy wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:12 am
Whats the deal with Channel 7 storm coverage?. Talk about overkill! Last nights coverage seemed like it dragged on forever. I normally like Dave Rexroth, but he was rambling on and on that there was a horrendous storm going to hit any minute. We barley got a drop in my area. Is WXYZ-TV trying to justify the cost of Rexroths basement weather studio or what? We have enough to deal with right now with COVID-19. For a lot of people , TV is a brief escape from the pandemic thats going on around us and we don't need our shows interrupted for every little rain storm. Didn't see this kind of coverage on any of the other stations.
We got a decent storm in Wayne... it was something to do watching all the to do about it...

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:04 pm

Storm coverage is their job. If I miss a show because of excessive coverage, no biggie. I'll get over it. I would rather watch storm coverage than the actual show that gets interrupted.

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:43 pm

I don't know where you live but we had quite a storm last night. Lot of rain and a light show to boot. He was on target as far as I'm concerned.

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:30 pm

I'm genuinely amazed that we didn't see any funnel clouds or tornadoes, since storms that have the energy to produce golfball or egg-sized hailstones tend to also produce tornadoes. I had no problem with the storm coverage last night since I saw quite the lightning show (alongside high winds and a lot of rain).

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:58 am

RingtailedFox wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:30 pm
I'm genuinely amazed that we didn't see any funnel clouds or tornadoes, since storms that have the energy to produce golfball or egg-sized hailstones tend to also produce tornadoes. I had no problem with the storm coverage last night since I saw quite the lightning show (alongside high winds and a lot of rain).
Even more so since there were supercells in the mix. Apparently some of the storms “exhibited rotation at times” according to the NWS summary. Must have been pretty minor.

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:48 pm

Does your thread title need an edit to change WXYX to WXYZ?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:09 pm

Maybe there was some interesting weather in Puerto Rico?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/WXYX

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:54 pm

Goddamn big BANG early in the storm here woke me up out of a good nap!

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:03 pm

Definitely some rotation in a cell that was situated near the Washtenaw - Jackson line.

Also noticed some rotation from time to time in the Bluewater region as well as to the west of Mt. Pleasant (central Michigan).

These were not tight rotational couplets. The cell in the Irish Hills had a me a little concerned, though, as that cell looked like it wanted to tighten and was in the warm sector.

format this

WXYX- TV Storm Coverage

Post by format this » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:52 pm

FWIW... in my neck of the woods (eastern Van Buren county), we had a brief spurt of heavy rain, pea-sized hail (if even that big, how about baby peas) and some wind. 10 miles north of here, quite a bit of damage to windows and vehicles from golf-ball sized hail... or bigger (SE Allegan). The line of storms was very selective as to where to damage stuff, so not everyone over here had issues. The nice thing... no major power outages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:32 pm

format this wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:52 pm
FWIW... in my neck of the woods (eastern Van Buren county), we had a brief spurt of heavy rain, pea-sized hail (if even that big, how about baby peas) and some wind. 10 miles north of here, quite a bit of damage to windows and vehicles from golf-ball sized hail... or bigger (SE Allegan). The line of storms was very selective as to where to damage stuff, so not everyone over here had issues. The nice thing... no major power outages.

Same here hailed for about a minute or 2 on the west side of Kazoo the storms were on the east side of Kazoo more on the border of Kazoo county line to Calhoun county line. Wood TV had updates on the storms when it was in Kent and Allegan counties WWMT had an update at 9:25PM when the storms came in that was about it none of the other TV station cut in for the storms.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

format this

WXYX- TV Storm Coverage

Post by format this » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:42 pm

MasterB wrote:
format this wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:52 pm

Same here hailed for about a minute or 2 on the west side of Kazoo the storms were on the east side of Kazoo more on the border of Kazoo county line to Calhoun county line. Wood TV had updates on the storms when it was in Kent and Allegan counties WWMT had an update at 9:25PM when the storms came in that was about it none of the other TV station cut in for the storms.
Yeppers. Plainwell/Otsego, Parchment and Battle Creek seemed to get the worst, which played into the west-to-east but NW to SE movement of the line.

Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic