Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The End Of Mom And Pop Business?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Ben Zonia

The End Of Mom And Pop Business?

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:06 am

Will the big corporations use this crisis to try to take over everything and put Mom and Pop out of business? How long can small business loans and bailouts sustain them compared to business which is highly capitalized?

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

bmw

Re: The End Of Mom And Pop Business?

Post by bmw » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:29 pm

Most will survive if these draconian measures are lifted soon. If you can't survive will closed down for 1 month, you were probably on the verge of going belly-up anyways. If this goes on much longer than into mid-April, then there's going to be real problems.

Now, I'm not a big fan of Mark Levin, but last night he spelled out my thoughts almost to a tee.

Jump to about 1:35

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:58 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:29 pm
Most will survive if these draconian measures are lifted soon. If you can't survive will closed down for 1 month, you were probably on the verge of going belly-up anyways. If this goes on much longer than into mid-April, then there's going to be real problems.

Now, I'm not a big fan of Mark Levin, but last night he spelled out my thoughts almost to a tee.

The market was clearly riding on a mountain of debt, was overbought and was waiting for something to go wrong after 11 years of expansion. This was the straw that broke the camels back and you’re kidding yourself if you think it can be made all better by opening everything up right away. The problems are systemic not caused by the pandemic. This is just a trigger.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:02 pm

bmw wrote:

Well stated Mr. Levin!

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:41 pm

audiophile wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:02 pm
bmw wrote:

Well stated Mr. Levin!
His rant was really nonsensical. He reaffirmed his status as a screaming fool. That’s about all that was there. No acknowledgement of why this is being done... he completely omitted that part of it. Then he assailed the logic around the temporary unemployment even though that logic is sound all while missing the bigger picture that this is the trigger but NOT the cause. He’s an idiot. Getting businesses to adjust would be largely unworkable... nobody wants to be out with this going on. That ship has sailed. Opening up at this juncture would just run these companies into the ground in short order. They all closed because demand isn’t there. If governors hadn’t decreed it first they’d be there now anyways. At least this is orderly.

The debt issues for companies need to be addressed. How the fuck can major companies be so backasswards that they have to shutter locations permanently in 3 weeks time instead of going into a hibernation mode. Did they not learn from the last crash and save money? Why were they so irresponsible that they had no preparation for a recession?

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:54 pm

Rate This wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:41 pm
Getting businesses to adjust would be largely unworkable...
You keep arguing that in here. Have you ever owned or operated a small business? As a small business owner myself, I contend that for many (not all, but many) small businesses, staying open within the CDC guidelines is perfectly workable. But as Levin said, that wasn't even ever a public discussion before governors just started shutting everything down (out of panic).
nobody wants to be out with this going on.
Nonsense. Otherwise there would be no need for shutdown orders.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:16 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:54 pm
Rate This wrote:
Getting businesses to adjust would be largely unworkable...
You keep arguing that in here. Have you ever owned or operated a small business? As a small business owner myself, I contend that for many (not all, but many) small businesses, staying open within the CDC guidelines is perfectly workable. But as Levin said, that wasn't even ever a public discussion before governors just started shutting everything down (out of panic).
nobody wants to be out with this going on.
Nonsense. Otherwise there would be no need for shutdown orders.
The shutdown orders are to get the stragglers and doubters off the streets.

You want some real well thought out analysis... try this and read the whole thing:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/marker.med ... a123f966d8

Again the virus is the trigger but not the cause of these economic issues. This was building and the economy was already slowing.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:19 pm

Rate This wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:16 pm

Again the virus is the trigger but not the cause of these economic issues. This was building and the economy was already slowing.
Can't be. Your President said it was the greatest economy in the history of the world.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:43 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:19 pm
Rate This wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:16 pm

Can't be. Your President said it was the greatest economy in the history of the world.
:lol

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:06 pm

You keep arguing that in here. Have you ever owned or operated a small business? As a small business owner myself,
Nobody gives a shit about your kilt rental shop.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:10 pm

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:06 pm
You keep arguing that in here. Have you ever owned or operated a small business? As a small business owner myself,
Alright, cocksucker, the gloves are off. Why don't you tell us how much fucking money YOU are worth? What is your net asset?

You're filthy fuckin' rich. You have nothing to worry about. Must be nice.

PS - nobody cares about your tiny fraction of a holding in marijuana companies. Why don't you take those stock shares and stick 'em where the sun don't shine.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:21 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:10 pm
Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:06 pm
Alright, cocksucker, the gloves are off. Why don't you tell us how much fucking money YOU are worth? What is your net asset?

You're filthy fuckin' rich. You have nothing to worry about. Must be nice.

PS - nobody cares about your tiny fraction of a holding in marijuana companies. Why don't you take those stock shares and stick 'em where the sun don't shine.
Ouch.

I forgot to ask earlier... exactly how would you do a public discussion lacking both time (this is an emergency) and with the fact that such an effort would be a clusterfuck considering how many small businesses there are. You wanted them to gather data and have a discussion about something that requires immediate action. That’s pretty unworkable stuff.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:24 pm

So much for those "Community Bong" franchises these guys here bought in to.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:20 pm

Rate This wrote:

His rant was really nonsensical.
His statements made perfect sense. Does a restaurant in Alpena County, which has zero cases, need to be closed? Or could they maybe be allowed to operate with certain safe-guards?

Having employers act as a middle man for un employment checks is plain stupid.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:20 pm

Rate This wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:21 pm
I forgot to ask earlier... exactly how would you do a public discussion lacking both time (this is an emergency) and with the fact that such an effort would be a clusterfuck considering how many small businesses there are. You wanted them to gather data and have a discussion about something that requires immediate action. That’s pretty unworkable stuff.
That's the discussion that should be happening RIGHT NOW so that when April-whatever rolls around and it is time to (inevitably) extend some form of a shelter-in-place order, the extension can lift SOME restrictions. I fear that Governor Whitmer intends to extend these restrictions for at least another 2 months before we're even talking about lifting stuff.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic