Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Covid 19 Media Layoffs Begin - Entercom

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Bryce

Covid 19 Media Layoffs Begin - Entercom

Post by Bryce » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:29 pm

Ad dollars are drying up across the media industry.

Entercom, the radio giant that owns popular local sports talk station 97.1 The Ticket and news station WWJ-AM (950), announced this week in a company-wide memo that it is planning immediate layoffs, pay cuts and furloughs amid the coronavirus crisis.
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sport ... 11176002/

Expect more industry wide.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Re: Covid 19 Media Layoffs Begin - Entercom

Post by Rate This » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:30 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:29 pm
Ad dollars are drying up across the media industry.

Entercom, the radio giant that owns popular local sports talk station 97.1 The Ticket and news station WWJ-AM (950), announced this week in a company-wide memo that it is planning immediate layoffs, pay cuts and furloughs amid the coronavirus crisis.
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sport ... 11176002/

Expect more industry wide.
They say the economy will recover the second half of the year but I strongly doubt it.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:36 pm

In my current industry, there are three major players left that can service national accounts. There are some small local operators, but they become fewer and fewer each year.

I suspect, for reasons I won't get into, that when this is all over we will be the only national player left.

I'm thinking this may be the catalyst for a similar thing to happen in the radio industry as well.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

wtfdetroit

Post by wtfdetroit » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:00 pm

I noticed CBS Sports Radio has their national show people and WFAN hosts doing weekend shifts in place of their non-contract weekend hosts. I haven't listened to 97.1 in a while but I assume the they've toned down local radio, probably have CBS Sports Radio on more often.

Deleted User 7769

Post by Deleted User 7769 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:29 pm

Tony Paul left out WWJ... easily one of the largest in ad revenue in the city. Nice job, Tony.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:11 pm

David Field will turn out to be the next Farid Suleman. Mark my words.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:40 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:11 pm
David Field will turn out to be the next Farid Suleman. Mark my words.
Maybe he will go to Exitcom?

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:20 pm

97.1 has been doing game replays as of late. Can't imagine the ad dollars are high for Tiger games from 2011.

It would be wise not to fuck with LOCAL news and information at this point. I haven't tuned into a 200 song jukebox since this whole thing started. Kinda hard to jam the same Crue tunes over and over when the country and state just went to shit in under a month. I know I'm not the only one feeling this way. Suddenly, rock tunez aren't at the top of my list.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:27 pm

Not sure what you mean about Tony leaving out WWJ, radiodoc. The station is mentioned in the excerpt pasted above.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:49 pm

Rate This wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:30 pm
They say the economy will recover the second half of the year but I strongly doubt it.
When this crisis ends, they'll be a need for more employees and advertising as places and venues open back up.

But of course, this is the media we're talking about, and if the new formula works great now, any bets they'll keep it as it is when the crisis ends?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:09 pm

rugratsonline wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:49 pm
Rate This wrote:
When this crisis ends, they'll be a need for more employees and advertising as places and venues open back up.

But of course, this is the media we're talking about, and if the new formula works great now, any bets they'll keep it as it is when the crisis ends?
They probably will. The biggest threat to everything is how many places follow AMC’s lead in closing permanently like they just did To their theatre in Southfield. Businesses going under are a major threat even before the crisis is over and that will drag on a recovery.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:06 am

Rate This wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:09 pm
rugratsonline wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:49 pm
Rate This wrote:

They probably will. The biggest threat to everything is how many places follow AMC’s lead in closing permanently like they just did To their theatre in Southfield. Businesses going under are a major threat even before the crisis is over and that will drag on a recovery.
IMHO, most grocery/convenience stores as well as a large majority of fast food and pizza places are safe (unless they were struggling pre-COVID 19). Specialty retail and fine dining will likely see large numbers of businesses going under. Assuming most of the restrictions are lifted by Memorial Day, areas that rely on tourism will recover first due to the cabin fever factor.

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:34 pm

Dennis Fithian and Ryan Wooley gone at the Ticket.

drew10219

Post by drew10219 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:47 pm

ART VAN was a major ad buyer on all media both radio and TV
that was the start of lost revenue and then now this

almost every station runs at least 2-3 PSAs on Covad 19 during every break

bottom line, they are all bringing in next to nothing right now. crazy times

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:24 pm

Much like Covid, I believe this will get worse before it even starts thinking about getting better.

This is another one of those "we got caught with our pants down" situations. That train is rolling full steam ahead, and then something unexpected derails it. You can bet your ass these companies are taking a good, hard look at ratings vs. revenue to see who's even worth keeping around. While it could fare well for WWJ, over at WXYT, this could be detrimental. It started with the Tigers and Wings sucking ass. Less listenership. Then Art Van sinks (mentioned above), all sports are cancelled, and ad revenue drops like a concrete turd.

A part of me wonders, would Entercom do something crazy in the face of saving a few bucks? I'm thinking a simulcast of some sort. WWJ on 97.1 in the less important dayparts and on weekends. Layoffs for most of that station. Even on another frequency. The odds are probably against it, but I wouldn't count it out. We don't know how long this will last. Valenti alone pulls quite a bit of coin. But with no sports to speak of, aside from the sparse NFL news, what the hell is the point?

We talk about WLLZ hiring Anne and Scott, but let's be real, they're already notorious tightwads, so big money won't be spent now with all this. I'm expecting to hear of more cutbacks and layoffs...and outright firings. I'm not sure if any numbers have come out yet, but I'm very interested in seeing what changes came about when this virus outbreak got hot. It wouldn't shock me to see WJR and WWJ be the main beneficiaries of all this. I mentioned earlier that I'm not really interested in jamming out rawk tunez, and with business all but shut down, who the hell is? I bet listenership is way down on the music stations.

This shit is gonna be B.A.D.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic