Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Corona Hype

A place to discuss national and regional television and radio programming.
Calvert DeForest

Corona Hype

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:02 am

I had an eye appointment yesterday morning and the Today Show was on in the waiting room. Al Roker and his "expert" were telling me to stock a two-week supply of food and drinking water in case I had to quarantine in my house. I also need to make sure my PC and internet are in good working order in case I need to work from home, and insure the same in the event the schools close and my kids need to do their school work from home. I was expecting Alex Jones to walk out and hock some "anti-Corona" supplement, or perhaps tell me to duct-tape all my windows (wait....that was Anthrax).

I know the news media loves a good story to hype, but this is getting ridiculous. Why not just give us the facts and include some common-sense precautions (wash your hands, cover your mouth when you cough, etc) and leave it at that. Why do we need to know about some store in Texas that ran out of bread and milk? Maybe the reason they ran out is because everyone watched the Today Show and flew into a panic. Funny...I was at Kroger the other day and didn't notice any shortages whatsoever. Then again, I don't pay much attention to this stuff unless I'm sitting in a waiting room or getting my oil changed.

Not saying this isn't a serious problem that needs to be addressed, but I'm not nearly as worried about the Corona virus as I am the reactionary panic that can occur when people take in a steady diet of hype. Might not be great for ratings, but everybody just needs to calm down!

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

fuzzpower

Re: Corona Hype

Post by fuzzpower » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:46 pm

The media loves to scare people for ratings. They always have. I am laughing at people buying cases of hand sanitizer and toilet paper.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:00 am

Also, why do I need to stockpile water? If you're quarantined, you'll still have power and water.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:33 am

rugratsonline wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:00 am
Also, why do I need to stockpile water? If you're quarantined, you'll still have power and water.
They're "concerned" that the water supply might be contaminated, prompting a shut-off.

That would mean no toilets. Better have some buckets handy.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:34 am

rugratsonline wrote:
I think it's a 'prepper' extension... if the folks running the power and water plants get sick, who's going to be there to make sure they keep running?

I think, if it ever got to a real widespread outbreak, that confirmed non-infected folks would be quarantined AT those sites to make sure they keep working. You could even bring some trailers in and invite their immediate families, so the whole family is protected as a bonus for the inconvenience of having to stay on-site.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:36 am

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:33 am
rugratsonline wrote:
They're "concerned" that the water supply might be contaminated, prompting a shut-off.

That would mean no toilets. Better have some buckets handy.
I haven't seen any studies to document one way or the other, but has it been demonstrated at all that the virus could be spread in a chlorinated water system?? I did hear that it can't be spread with mosquitoes, which is a good thing for the upcoming summer around here!!

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:06 am

I spent $0.80 for 6 rolls of TP today.

No "run" on TP.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:59 pm

My how things changed in 3 weeks. No TP in the city of Toledo- sad.

kc8yqq

Post by kc8yqq » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:45 am

Woho, try Dollar General. I have seen some in a couple of stores in the Jackson area. It's usually the DG brand and probably feels like sandpaper, but at least it's TP.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:03 am

I bought 12 rolls at Aldi a couple weeks ago. Still on the 6-pack from March 7th.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

kc8yqq

Post by kc8yqq » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:49 am

I stopped by the DG in Leslie (next town north of Jackson off Us-127) and they were putting out TP that had just came in. It was mostly Angel Soft and DG brand...no Charmin or Northern.

A lot of 36-roll packages were being snatched up.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:51 pm

I just save mine over and use it again the next day.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:35 am

Who would have known when I started this thread over a month ago that we would be where we are now? I certainly couldn't have imagined it. Still, I think much of the news media has seized the opportunity to bolster ratings, especially now that folks are looking to pass the time at home.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:43 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:51 pm
I just save mine over and use it again the next day.
"Both Sides" approach. Good idea.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:06 pm

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:35 am
Who would have known when I started this thread over a month ago that we would be where we are now? I certainly couldn't have imagined it. Still, I think much of the news media has seized the opportunity to bolster ratings, especially now that folks are looking to pass the time at home.
Ratings but no advertisers...good plan, LOL

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic