Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

On a scale of 0-10, how worried are you about coronavirus?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Re: On a scale of 0-10, how worried are you about coronavirus?

Post by TC Talks » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:06 pm

Hang in there, fortunately there are so many at risk there will be aid coming soon.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:29 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:06 pm
Hang in there, fortunately there are so many at risk there will be aid coming soon.
Still employed and guaranteed 40 hours by virtue of seniority. Barely made the cut.

I hope it’s enough... they were saying $1000 split over 2 checks it seemed like... I was thinking this lasts to July or August before things can reopen... that’s more of a $5000-ish per person need. Goldman revised it’s Q1 and Q2 GDP forecasts:
Q1 -6%
Q2 -24% (!!!)
That 24% would be by far the biggest drop in a quarter on record.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:17 am

Audiophile is factually correct - this IS mostly an urban problem. And it will largely remain so for the simple fact that viruses spread much easier in densely populated areas. That's just basic science. Rural areas will see isolated cases, and in most instances - those will remain just that: isolated. I mean, look at New York City. That city alone now accounts for nearly 40 percent of the total cases in this country despite housing only 2.5% of this country's population. That means the virus is spreading literally 26x faster there than it is everywhere else in the country's combined average.

If we thought shelter-in-place orders would really, in reality, slow the spread of the virus, then we as a country were about a week late to the game. Critical mass has been reached. It is now just a race to a vaccine and possible treatment.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:20 am

bmw wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:17 am
Audiophile is factually correct - this IS mostly an urban problem. And it will largely remain so for the simple fact that viruses spread much easier in densely populated areas. That's just basic science. Rural areas will see isolated cases, and in most instances - those will remain just that: isolated. I mean, look at New York City. That city alone now accounts for nearly 40 percent of the total cases in this country despite housing only 2.5% of this country's population. That means the virus is spreading literally 26x faster there than it is everywhere else in the country's combined average.

If we thought shelter-in-place orders would really, in reality, slow the spread of the virus, then we as a country were about a week late to the game. Critical mass has been reached. It is now just a race to a vaccine and possible treatment.
Which will take 1-2 years to get... they’ll still need to go through 3 or 4 more steps to deem it safe for people. What was administered already wasn’t a vaccine but some sort of pre-vaccine thing...

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:09 pm

Next on the list - hair salons, barber shops, and tattoo parlors. And this one is until April 13th. So you know that the restaurant/bar ban will be extended from March 30 to April 13.

Any predictions for an over/under as far as the date that "all non-essential" businesses are ordered to close? I give it 5 days from now.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:43 pm

Witmer denied it in today's call. But later that changed to "Not yet".

I am suggesting that the curve will be tailing out in Southeast Counties in the end of May, the rest of the state in mid June.

Just think about this; Snowbirds return in April.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:06 pm

Props to Meijer for not only setting aside hours for senior shopping (Tues. & Thurs. 7-8 am) but also a couple of days for essential service workers and also their own employees (Mon & Weds. 7-8 am)

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:06 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:43 pm
Witmer denied it in today's call. But later that changed to "Not yet".

I am suggesting that the curve will be tailing out in Southeast Counties in the end of May, the rest of the state in mid June.

Just think about this; Snowbirds return in April.
So we may be at this for quite a while. Great.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:21 pm

My concern at this point is that this seems to mutate into new strains quickly. So if I get it, my antibodies might not be effective if a new strain circles around.

― Noam Chomsky

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:30 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:21 pm
My concern at this point is that this seems to mutate into new strains quickly. So if I get it, my antibodies might not be effective if a new strain circles around.
Would a vaccine for strain A help if we get to Strain BB because it’s mutated 30 times in the meantime? Could we even keep up well enough?

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:48 pm

Before you all get too worried about mutations, you might want to read this article:

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-mutations.html

Excerpt:
The word mutation "naturally conjures fears of unexpected and freakish changes," he wrote. "In reality, mutations are a natural part of the virus life cycle and rarely impact outbreaks dramatically." RNA viruses, or those that have RNA as their main genetic material instead of DNA, including SARS-CoV-2, mutate constantly and do not have the mechanisms to fix these "mistakes," as human cells do, for example.

But most of these mutations negatively affect the virus. If mutations are not beneficial to the virus, they are typically eliminated through natural selection, the mechanism of evolution whereby organisms better adapted to their environment tend to survive. Other mutations survive and get embedded into the "average" genome of a virus.

Typically, multiple genes code for traits such as a virus's severity or ability to transmit to other people, Grubaugh wrote. So, for a virus to become more severe or transmit more easily, multiple genes would have to mutate. Despite high rates of mutation among viruses in general, it's unusual to find viruses that change their mode of transmission between humans over such short time scales, he wrote.

So, what does all of this mean for the development of a possible vaccine?

These viruses "are still so genetically similar that these mutations shouldn't alter a new vaccine," Grubaugh said. It's "unlikely that the developers have to worry about this." Once the vaccine is out, however, the virus could adapt to it and develop resistance, he said, but considering that other RNA viruses — such as those that cause measles, mumps and yellow fever — didn't develop resistance to vaccines, that scenario is unlikely.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:55 pm

I have a pair of microbiologist friends who look for research in their free time. If they come across something, i will post in it. Nothing more has been mentioned since they announced the virus in the US is different than elsewhere.
Pathological studies carried out on three genome sequences of the SARS-CoV2 virus, which causes Covid-19, taken from the first patients to be diagnosed in Valencia show that the virus has had sufficient time after arriving in Europe to mutate and to become distinguishable from the original outbreak detected in China in January.
They don't cite the studies.
https://en.as.com/en/2020/03/17/footbal ... 68482.html

― Noam Chomsky

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:58 pm

bmw wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:48 pm
Before you all get too worried about mutations, you might want to read this article:
https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-mutations.html
That is what seems to happen, but the concern is that a stronger mutation occurs each 2-3 years that is outside the immunity created by a vaccine for the current strain.

― Noam Chomsky

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:31 am

Next on the list - hair salons, barber shops, and tattoo parlors. And this one is until April 13th. So you know that the restaurant/bar ban will be extended from March 30 to April 13.
I'm gonna look like a hippie before all is said and done. LOL

I was due for a haircut this week. I actually considered going in for a haircut yesterday, but decided against it.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:50 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:31 am
I'm gonna look like a hippie before all is said and done. LOL

I was due for a haircut this week. I actually considered going in for a haircut yesterday, but decided against it.
No need for a haircut, we already had one in our wallets.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic