Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Media doing social separation

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 7620

Media doing social separation

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:10 am

This morning, Ch 7 had the anchors do the morning news from separate sides of the studio.

Now, Fox 2 is doing the same thing.

I get taking precautions due to coronavirus, but this is going too damn far. How about washing your damn hands and covering your mouth when coughing or sneezing.

This is just insane.
Last edited by Deleted User 7620 on Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

craig11152

Re: Media doing social separation

Post by craig11152 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:18 am

I think its as much about setting an example that may convince some folks as it is personal safety.
As we can tell from tobacco and vaping people don't seem to heed warnings well. I think anything that might get somebody to pay attention that otherwise wouldn't can't hurt.

I no longer directly engage trolls

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:37 am

Loco 4 is doing it as well.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:45 am

How close or how far the anchors sit from each other on screen is no bother to me.

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:45 am

Last week, the Inside Edition crew were reporting from their homes because the CBS Building in New York City was closed for decontamination after a staff member tested positive for coronavirus... I thought it was an interesting way of doing things for a news show. Plus, Deborah Norville has a nice kitchen!

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:22 pm

Do reporters and photographers separate in a news vehicle? One in the front seat, the other in the back?
We are taking steps to limit interaction with people, look for lots of phone interviews and FaceTime interviews as well as other changes to important news gathering. Thank you for your concern for our well being.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:04 pm

CircleWXYZ wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:10 am
This morning, Ch 7 had the anchors do the morning news from separate sides of the studio.

Now, Fox 2 is doing the same thing.

I get taking precautions due to coronavirus, but this is going too damn far. How about washing your damn hands and covering your mouth when coughing or sneezing.

This is just insane.
It does say something about the mindless way these people promote and follow trends.

tigerwings

Post by tigerwings » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:06 pm

Toledo 11 Weather was done using Skype last night

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:10 pm

RingtailedFox wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:45 am
Last week, the Inside Edition crew were reporting from their homes because the CBS Building in New York City was closed for decontamination after a staff member tested positive for coronavirus... I thought it was an interesting way of doing things for a news show. Plus, Deborah Norville has a nice kitchen!
Should have had Norville broadcast from her bedroom, the ratings would have gone through the roof...

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:13 pm

This is where we all miss Al Allen, you know he would have been reporting this virus from some overpass somewhere in Detroit....

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:21 am

They haven't said it anywhere, but one of the reasons for that 6' separation is because these folks are talking constantly.

They have established that the 6' criteria is based on science about when folks sneeze, but similar things happen just when folks talk, and multiply that by a factor when they talk a lot. Would probably be substantially worse if the talking folk also talked with a lot of spittle (and we all know someone like that!).

I was surprised they didn't do this earlier. It would seem that with multiple cameras and similar backgrounds you could even make it look like they were sitting only a couple feet apart even though they were many feet apart in the studio. However, I do think it's important that they constantly subconsciously remind viewers to be cognizant on their own separation from folks they are around.

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:07 am

It's pretty damn silly but they are doing it to set an example to some of the dummies out there. Monkey see- Monkey do

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:08 am

lidoshuffle wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:10 pm
RingtailedFox wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:45 am
Should have had Norville broadcast from her bedroom, the ratings would have gone through the roof...
Haha....yes they would have. I would have been watching!

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:02 pm

Mr.Transistor wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:07 am
It's pretty damn silly but they are doing it to set an example to some of the dummies out there. Monkey see- Monkey do
It's not silly at all. If you're talking to someone who unknowingly has the virus, your chances of getting it are not only diminished, but if you do get it the viral load you ingest will likely be minimal. or much less than you would at shorter distances. This would allow your body time to build an immunity to the virus before the virus gets a chance to take over too many of your cells. Just science.

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:24 pm

km1125 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:02 pm
Mr.Transistor wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:07 am
It's not silly at all. If you're talking to someone who unknowingly has the virus, your chances of getting it are not only diminished, but if you do get it the viral load you ingest will likely be minimal. or much less than you would at shorter distances. This would allow your body time to build an immunity to the virus before the virus gets a chance to take over too many of your cells. Just science.
I'm referring to being in another studio. They can be in the same place and be more than 6ft apart but apparently some people need the visual of them being in another room completely. Whatever............

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic