Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

They have gone mad.

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
organman95

Re: They have gone mad.

Post by organman95 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:39 pm

For some stupid reason, American society LOVES negative publicity. So anything to drive up fear brings money. It makes absolutely no sense.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:09 pm

Things aren’t closing because “the media” made people scared. Things are closing and events are being canceled because EXPERTS, MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS and YOUR GOVERNMENT LEADERS deemed this situation serious enough to do so. Please remember that “the media” does not tell the government what to do. “The media” is working extremely hard to make sure you have accurate information that could keep you and your family safe.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:03 pm

If you have an issue with the approach the government is taking, you should probably read up one he science. I hope you and your family are safe. But attacking local reporters who are informing people of what’s happening in local communities isn’t going to end this pandemic any faster.

Beerbong

Post by Beerbong » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:23 pm

sinklair wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:03 pm
If you have an issue with the approach the government is taking, you should probably read up one he science. I hope you and your family are safe. But attacking local reporters who are informing people of what’s happening in local communities isn’t going to end this pandemic any faster.
What is this “one he science” you speak of?

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:07 pm

Government officials don't know their head from their ass, so how do they suddenly know so much about the new flu?

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:02 pm

Congrats Dudley, you found a topic you and Lovin could agree upon!

Master Shake

Post by Master Shake » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:29 pm

All of you dumb motherfuckers bitching about the coverage - I sincerely hope you get the worst of this and FUCKING DIE ALONE, PAINFULLY, AND WITHOUT A CENT

SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Herm

Post by Herm » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:32 pm

Master Shake wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:29 pm
All of you dumb motherfuckers bitching about the coverage - I sincerely hope you get the worst of this and FUCKING DIE ALONE, PAINFULLY, AND WITHOUT A CENT

SHUT THE FUCK UP.
Make a fast break
And that’ll be the last mistake
That ass will make
That’s what you get for messin’ with Master Shake

Herm

Post by Herm » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:34 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:58 pm
sinklair wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:09 pm
Things aren’t closing because “the media” made people scared. Things are closing and events are being canceled because EXPERTS, MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS and YOUR GOVERNMENT LEADERS deemed this situation serious enough to do so. Please remember that “the media” does not tell the government what to do. “The media” is working extremely hard to make sure you have accurate information that could keep you and your family safe.
Like not drinking bleach, right?

14 of the 16 stories on the Detroit News homepage were coronavirus.

20 of 21 for the Detroit Free Press homepage.

Panic makes for a better story.
Or... the vast majority of news making events are not happening right now. That could be it too.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:22 am

Or... as with any big news event that has nationwide impact (think 9/11, start of Iraq War, etc.) there are a lot of fast-moving developments that people need to know about. The local news is keeping up with those developments and reporting in real-time that schools and businesses are closing, that hospitals are ramping up testing, that community events are being canceled... not because local journalists are trying to scare you. Quite the opposite. We’re trying to empower local viewers to protect themselves, their family, their neighbors with information to prevent the spread of this disease so we can hopefully return to some normalcy sooner rather than later. The media isn’t making these changes. The choice to close or alter their operations is a decision being made by the organizations themselves based off the recommendations of health leaders, Local news is simply reporting on it.

But like 9/11 and the Iraq War, we will get thru this. What I’d like to see is the local and especially the national news media watch the tone of its coverage. We need to empower and inform our communities, not scare the living hell out of them.

This is a time when as journalists we all need to be at our best. That’s what our communities need at this time.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:40 am

Good information aimed at protecting communities is part of the solution.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:48 pm

I think it’s horrible that you’re conflating the decisions made by healthcare professionals to try to slow down this pandemic and save lives to the Nazis who exterminated millions for ethic-based genocide. Words matter.

Beerbong

Post by Beerbong » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:52 pm

sinklair wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:48 pm
I think it’s horrible that you’re conflating the decisions made by healthcare professionals to try to slow down this pandemic and save lives to the Nazis who exterminated millions for ethic-based genocide. Words matter.
Hey, look everybody! Stink has a conscience! And a new thesaurus! And yes, words matter. I reiterate, indubitably. Words matter.
:lol:

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:05 pm

I’m constantly surprised with the lack of brain cells exhibited by some posters on the Buzzboard.

I’m pretty sure R, Lovin, and Beer meet weekly to discuss the Kennedy Assassination, contrails, UFOs, Elvis living in West Michigan, the Sandy Hook mass shootings, 9/11, Barack Obama’s birth, Jeffrey Epstein’s death, anti-vaxxers, global warming, and that the Earth is flat.

You all deserve each other. However I still hope that none of you or your families become ill with the Coronavirus and that people take precautions to prevent the worse of this disease.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:45 am

Not really. We’re focused on reporting good, actionable information focused on empowering our viewers to keep themselves and their families safe. We’re setting aside competitive differences with our colleagues to work together to show the various impacts on our viewers. You just like to post on a broadcasting forum about how much you dislike broadcasting.

Things may be far from perfect (especially in my own shop), but I’m impressed on how reporters and photographers at all the stations are working hard to provide responsible coverage.

I‘ll call out 25-66 management when they don’t do the things to support their workers. And when things go right, I’ll recognize that too.

Too bad others here can’t get past their personal vendettas.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic