Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Omelette returns

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
BigFreq

Re: Omelette returns

Post by BigFreq » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:04 am

northradiotruth wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:59 pm
This is still a risk for midwestern. They are doing an awful lot to roll out the red carpet for Omelette including letting go of their northern country signal. That's a lot for someone who bombed out at The Bear.

KLT was #1 in their male demographic across their entire dayparts in the last book. To jettison the morning and afternoon show is a gutsy move. I never pictured Warren as someone to make bold moves. Their Country Station basically runs unopposed in Traverse City and the same can be said for Rush Limbaugh and their conservative talk station. This is a bold move. We'll see if it works.
Not sure what's so bold about any of this, North? It was a good move on their part of pick up a heritage station like KLT, as it compliments their cluster. Dropping TCM's simulcast to put KLT on WBCM 93.5 should keep the Petoskey area happy, while not likely financially limiting TCM in any manner. If the plan is to trimulcast KLT by adding WRGZ 96.7, it simply fills in a void BCM would have further north and east. It's simply about utilizing assets you already own to deliver a product to the market. As for the on-air changes, it may have been a financial move or sometimes shaking things up can create a little buzz to an otherwise stagnant situation. I've watched market personality shifts occur, where you think the ratings will rise or tumble when a morning show crosses town... and not a bit of shift to the favor/detriment of either station. And, in a two book market, there's plenty of time for the minimal number of diary holders to become adjusted to whatever has occurred. Time will tell, but I suspect it's less bolder than you think. IMO, the bolder move might come from whomever is intending to buy WSRT 106.7. There are suspicions on whom that may be, and perhaps suggestions as to what format that could become, as it has the potential to make a bigger impact in the current market landscape than KLT's simulcast on 93.5.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:47 am

My bold prediction for WSRT: MacDonald-Garber buys it and flips it to Country as a simulcast of 96.7 the Bull. With this move, I could see the Bull shift to a playlist similar to Duke FM and WNKN/WNKR.

I'm a little surprised EMF and Midwestern haven't done a deal similar to a swap, which would see 93.5 (and 92.5) going to EMF and 98.9 going to Midwestern.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:35 pm

92.5 lacks financial viability.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:12 pm

KLT was #1 in their male demographic across their entire dayparts in the last book. To jettison the morning and afternoon show is a gutsy move.
I agree. "Gutsy" is putting it gently.

My adjective would be "senseless." If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Deleted User 12047

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:19 pm

KLT was #1 in their male demographic across their entire dayparts in the last book.
And which demo was that? I'm looking at the book and I sure don't see much #1's, see a lot of #2's and even some #3's.

northradiotruth

Post by northradiotruth » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:49 am

I looked at men 35 plus for KLT which is what they target. Also in case, you haven't heard Macdonald Garber did buy 106.7 and as of right now they don't know what format they are going to run.

Deleted User 12047

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:08 am

northradiotruth wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:49 am
I looked at men 35 plus for KLT which is what they target.
Don't have those, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Men 25-54 is what I have.
Also in case, you haven't heard Macdonald Garber did buy 106.7 and as of right now they don't know what format they are going to run.
No I haven't heard. Just went to the FCC website, nothing filed there yet except the Silent Authorization.

northradiotruth

Post by northradiotruth » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:24 am

I confess I didn't see the numbers either I was told by someone I trust but that someone was affiliated with KLT.

In the biz

Post by In the biz » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:55 pm

KLT had a much better book than the last two. WGFM still kills in men. Trish will have a hard time competing with Big Country. Just like Roy tried to do with LDR. Plus the Bull’’s numbers in Wexford and the the two other counties they serve are terrible. It’s UPS and TCM that dominate.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:47 pm

I cannot envision that many men aged 50+ listening to Rock 105. I am certain their strength is with men 18 - 49 (which also translates to very healthy male 25-54 numbers).

KLT had an incredibly strong book in ages 12+ overall this time. Indeed, I would be surprised if KLT weren't the top rated rock/classic rock station among men 35+ this go 'round. (Among all stations, WTCM-FM or WKLT is probably #1 in that category.)

In Men 25-54, my guess would be that Rock 105 leads, but probably not by a very big margin.
KLT had a much better book than the last two. WGFM still kills in men. Trish will have a hard time competing with Big Country. Just like Roy tried to do with LDR. Plus the Bull’’s numbers in Wexford and the the two other counties they serve are terrible. It’s UPS and TCM that dominate.
96.7 The Bull has popped up with at least a 1 share across the geographically massive Traverse City - Petoskey - Cadillac MSA on more than one occasion. That's pretty good for a Class C3 FM signal located at the far southern end of the market.

I do think that if the plan is to take 106.7 Country, a format that focuses on new & recent country would be a mistake. Trish needs a format capable of drawing male listeners, assuming she does indeed win the 106.7 sweepstakes. She already gets impressive female listenership numbers from 106 KHQ and LIte 96. Bob-FM is capable of doing that. Sports is capable of doing that. Gold-based Country is absolutely capable of doing that. That would be my pick, personally. Bob-FM would be my second choice.

WMKT airs a lot of live sports; might she move that brand to the big 106.7 stick if she acquires it? If that were to occur, would she run afoul of territory issues? (Too bad all of their talk hosts except Glenn Beck are B or C grade talent. Hugh Hewitt ain't bad if you can get over his voice; he sounds like he has a head cold 100% of the time.)

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:16 pm

50+ men were 20 in 1990. Rock 105 plays Nirvana and everything Gen X. KLT plays foghat and older 1970's garbage. The Bear is younger than KLT.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:32 pm

I completely disagree about The Bear's median song age being younger (or its stationality sounding younger) than that of KLT.

98.1 & 95.3 are playing "When The Lights Go Down" by Journey as I'm writing this. 'Nuff said.

The vast majority of the music 105.1 & 95.5 plays came out within the last 15 years. It's apparent you don't listen to these stations very often, TC Talks.

Was The Bear more aggressive / heavier musically than KLT once upon a time? Sure. But that hasn't been true in many years.

P.S...when I listened to KLT online early last week, I heard The Offspring, Bush, and Greta Van Fleet within about a 45 minute span. To suggest KLT plays very little music outside of the 70's is a completely inaccurate statement. Their median song age is younger than WCSX, WLAV, WMMQ, and yes, WGFN.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:43 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:35 pm
It would be more valuable if it wasn't considered part of the market (it technically isn't as both its COL and transmitter site are in non-market Montmorency County)

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:52 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:43 pm
TC Talks wrote:
It would be more valuable if it wasn't considered part of the market (it technically isn't as both its COL and transmitter site are in non-market Montmorency County)
HH income average: $12,500 is really what future broadcasters are looking for...

― Noam Chomsky

BigFreq

Post by BigFreq » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:30 am

TC Talks wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:52 pm
ftballfan wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:43 pm
TC Talks wrote:
HH income average: $12,500 is really what future broadcasters are looking for...
If your figures are correct, the station has an annual power bill twice the average household income of the area where it's sitting... and tower rent 50% higher than the same household income level. :roll:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic