Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Former University of Michigan doctor investigated for multiple sex abuse complaints

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Former University of Michigan doctor investigated for multiple sex abuse complaints

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:27 am

I will say this, it was reasonable for the university to take a step back and let the prosecutor's office "run with it" once the report of abuse was submitted.

However, what I cannot get over is the fact no overture for victims to come forward was made until the media got involved. Once that occurred, it is amazing that the overture was made lightning fast.

If I were the school, and if I were acting in good faith, I'd be questioning the prosecutor as to why no mass outreach to victims was being performed.

I also cannot get over the fact an investigation that had de facto concluded was not officially closed until the day The Detroit News formally submitted a FOIA.

Matt

Re: Former University of Michigan doctor investigated for multiple sex abuse complaints

Post by Matt » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:29 am

Do you think legal counsel would have suggested what you are suggesting?

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:33 am

Matt wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:29 am
Yes... that would have been smart strategy... getting out in front of a story is PR 101... most morons try to hide, deny and cover up as happened here. They hope it’ll go away and it never does... kinda like thieves that wear distinctive outfits that only they have within a hundred miles and are amazed they got caught...

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:43 am

Rate This wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:33 am
Matt wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:29 am
Yes... that would have been smart strategy... getting out in front of a story is PR 101... most morons try to hide, deny and cover up as happened here. They hope it’ll go away and it never does... kinda like thieves that wear distinctive outfits that only they have within a hundred miles and are amazed they got caught...
Wrong answer. I asked what legal counsel WOULD say, not what you think they SHOULD have said.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:46 am

If the Detroit News hadn't gotten involved, I wonder how much longer the "investigation" would've remained open with little to zero work being done in collecting victim accounts? A year? Five years? Ten years?
It's an interesting question you raise, Matt.

Defense attorneys generally aren't concerned about making vicitms whole or finding unvarnished truth. They also generally aren't too concerned about public relations. Does anyone know if outside defense counsel has been retained by U-M?

One would hope U-M's internal legal counsel would advocate full disclosure - in a way not to impede any open criminal investigation - in the interest of preserving the school's image by doing what is morally right. Without knowing the moral character of those individuals, it's tough to say. Perhaps the motivation instead was to avoid attention to the case so that a minimal number of victims would come forward so as to dodge civil lawsuits.

So, again I wonder, was an inactive investigation kept officially open on purpose so as to give the school a convenient excuse for avoiding full disclosure? Did the County - at the school's direction - intentionally minimize outreach to victims? Is the university's willingness to now "do the right thing" merely the result of they and Washtenaw County being called out by the Detroit News?

I do intend to comb through the 124 page report from Washtenaw County in the coming days.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:55 pm

This is from an mgoblog thread on Rachael Denhollanders bloviating:

"Your statement and her complaint are not entirely accurate.  I have a colleague in the athletic dept and she tells me that this was indeed reported back in 2018.  The police dept was immediately notified and an investigation began.  Almost everyone associated with athletic dept from those days, including Carr, has been interviewed by the police. The students who were in any form or shape connected to the doctor were notified and some were interviewed as well.  There was no leak. After the investigation was nearly complete, the school at the recommendation of the police dept made the issue public and established a hotline.  Unlike Nasser and PSU cases, so far no one has stepped forward to say that they filed a complaint back then.  Carr and others have said that they never heard any complain about the doctor.  I am not being a homer, but I think UM has handled the situation well so far.  If it turns out that someone had complained about the doctor and no one did anything, then heads should roll."

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:05 pm

I would like to see some evidence all students connected with the doctor were notified or were attempted to be notified on a best efforts basis. (If that did indeed occur, why hasn't that bit of info been communicated to the media by someone in an official capacity?)

What you pasted is simply hearsay. Impossible to say how factual or not that representation is.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:11 pm

Did you read Schlissel's comments from the other day?

https://president.umich.edu/news-commun ... s-meeting/

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:22 pm

Yes. After the Detroit News story broke and the investigation miraculously concluded at the same time, widespread outreach occurred. What about during the investigation itself? That was my question. How many of the doctor's student/patients were successfully contacted prior to the Detroit News expose?

The statement itself is well written but leaves a number of unanswered questions.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:32 pm

The university published the article very early on the 19th BEFORE the Detroit News published theirs. I'm not suggesting that the News didn't influence UM to act more quickly, but they did have a lot of ducks in a row ready to go: https://record.umich.edu/articles/patie ... l-hotline/

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:41 pm

Matt wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:55 pm
This is from an mgoblog thread on Rachael Denhollanders bloviating:

"Your statement and her complaint are not entirely accurate.  I have a colleague in the athletic dept and she tells me that this was indeed reported back in 2018.  The police dept was immediately notified and an investigation began.  Almost everyone associated with athletic dept from those days, including Carr, has been interviewed by the police. The students who were in any form or shape connected to the doctor were notified and some were interviewed as well.  There was no leak. After the investigation was nearly complete, the school at the recommendation of the police dept made the issue public and established a hotline.  Unlike Nasser and PSU cases, so far no one has stepped forward to say that they filed a complaint back then.  Carr and others have said that they never heard any complain about the doctor.  I am not being a homer, but I think UM has handled the situation well so far.  If it turns out that someone had complained about the doctor and no one did anything, then heads should roll."
So you're gonna start trashing Denhollander now?!? My God......

The censorship king from out of state.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:05 pm

HoneyTBD, I'm not trashing Rachael Denhollander, but I'm merely suggesting that just because she was assaulted on your campus, it doesn't make her qualified to comment on what has happened on our campus.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:55 pm

I knew you were a fervent Michigan fan who couldn't see the obvious blunders by Harbaugh, for instance, and be rational about your football team. That is part of being a fan, even to the point of making a fool of yourself, as you do here every football season. But I did think there might be a bit of decency to you. Nope. You are a pile of human garbage. You are lower than low. "Muntt" is my new name for you...part Matt, but mostly "cunt".

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:11 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:55 pm
I knew you were a fervent Michigan fan who couldn't see the obvious blunders by Harbaugh, for instance, and be rational about your football team. That is part of being a fan, even to the point of making a fool of yourself, as you do here every football season. But I did think there might be a bit of decency to you. Nope. You are a pile of human garbage. You are lower than low. "Muntt" is my new name for you...part Matt, but mostly "cunt".
You've got some screws loose. Seek help.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:24 pm

I do?!? You, who decide to give more value to the words of some anonymous fart on a shitstain of a website like mgoblow, than a woman who had to experience that unspeakable horror.

You have no class, so I expect you to lie about and decry successful rival coaches who have kicked UM's ass thru the years, but this is an innocent woman that you are defaming.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic