Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

SOTU and Response Thread

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
audiophile

Re: SOTU and Response Thread

Post by audiophile » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:09 am

The democrat members grouped together and dressed in white reminded me of the KKK.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:09 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:46 am
Not a good look for Pelosi. Very low class, on her part.
Agreed.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:23 am

I didn't watch last night. But stuff like Nancy ripping the speech may play to the Democratic base but it doesn't play to swing voters. They need swing voters to win.

And my wife said our fine Governor started talking about "fixing the damn roads" like she was reading the wrong speech. Us that true?

I no longer directly engage trolls

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:47 am

kager

Post by kager » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:36 am

The idea of putting the response in the hands of a female governor, from a state lost to Trump in 2016, probably looked good to Dems - at least on paper.

Allowing her 'write access' to the actual response seemed like... maybe that idea didn't really work out so well...

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:14 am

craig11152 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:23 am
I didn't watch last night. But stuff like Nancy ripping the speech may play to the Democratic base but it doesn't play to swing voters. They need swing voters to win.

And my wife said our fine Governor started talking about "fixing the damn roads" like she was reading the wrong speech. Us that true?
I don't know if you watched her SOTS speech, but she told a story about a kid on the west side of the state that was filling potholes with dirt. She told that same story last night. Her speech wasn't horrendous, but it wasn't good.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:01 am

Seems ironic that the Michigan governors response was mostly about accomplishments OTHER governors did.
Very short on substance. In the grand scheme of things, fixing roads and other infrastructure is pretty minor compared to education reform, defense against terrorism, job growth, etc.
She couldnt even cite examples in her own state? She had to resort to a few piddly things in Pennsylvania?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:05 am

Y M Ionhere wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:01 am
Seems ironic that the Michigan governors response was mostly about accomplishments OTHER governors did.
Very short on substance. In the grand scheme of things, fixing roads and other infrastructure is pretty minor compared to education reform, defense against terrorism, job growth, etc.
She couldnt even cite examples in her own state? She had to resort to a few piddly things in Pennsylvania?
Fixing infrastructure is minor?!? Are you kidding? Without the infrastructure how is anything else supposed to work exactly?

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:36 am

How much of the rest of the country can really relate to potholes being a primary issue?? I know it plays well here and in surrounding states, but I'd be the folks in Florida and Texas and most of the rest of the country were thinking her priorities are out of line from a national perspective.

kager

Post by kager » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:09 pm

Whitmer is busy splainin' away her SOTU response on Amanpour & Co now...

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:13 am

Whitmer is dull. Americans across the nation think Detroit is dangerous. Most of them now think little Michigan kids live in so much poverty they carry shovels to play with dirt in the rutted streets. A lot of Americans probably had to turn up the volume on Whitmer’s soft voice - then heard her say “damn”?

The whole thing looked like a parody of a 1950’s high school principal speaking from the stage of the auditorium on Flag Day. About damn dirt.

kager

Post by kager » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:40 am

I got a bit of a chuckle when Ms. Amanpour - in her brit accent - referred to gov Loopner's message as, "Fix the darn highways".

Given the latter's recent 'actions' on the matter, the former's phrase is more accurate & civilized, and way less hokey.

Even hearing the ever-grinnin' gubner's in-depth analysis of why the response was what it was, I'm guessing we won't have choose whether or not to watch her next one.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:11 pm

kager wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:40 am
I got a bit of a chuckle when Ms. Amanpour - in her brit accent - referred to gov Loopner's message as, "Fix the darn highways".

Given the latter's recent 'actions' on the matter, the former's phrase is more accurate & civilized, and way less hokey.

Even hearing the ever-grinnin' gubner's in-depth analysis of why the response was what it was, I'm guessing we won't have choose whether or not to watch her next one.
Usually a response is given to a different person every time. There aren’t usually any “again” moments.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:42 pm

I almost always find the "response" (regardless of which political party is providing the response) to the SOTU address to be a complete waste of time.

I'm not sure when that tradition began, but it is one that should be abandoned.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:59 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:42 pm
I almost always find the "response" (regardless of which political party is providing the response) to the SOTU address to be a complete waste of time.

I'm not sure when that tradition began, but it is one that should be abandoned.
1966 was the first one. Senator Everett Dirksen of Illinois and Representative Gerald Ford of Michigan responded to LBJ’s state of the union and a tradition was born.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic