Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Virginia Beach vs Plano, Tx

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Y M Ionhere

Virginia Beach vs Plano, Tx

Post by Y M Ionhere » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:41 pm

The city shopping thread has me on a "this city or that" kick.
This one would be a really hard pick if I had to choose.
Both are big, with a heavily suburbanized layout/feel
Va Beach has about 415,000 people. Plano around 240,000.
Both have been ranked among "most conservative" cities in the US (I can see a few people rejecting both on that alone)
Both ranked among the safest large cities in the country.
Plano has about a 4% Poverty rate and known for its numerous corporate headquarters and professional jobs. Virginia Beach has an 8% poverty rate and large military and tourism sectors.
Unemployment: Virginia Beach: Just Under 2%. Plano: 3%
Cost of living is slightly higher than average, largely due to housing, but still much closer to average than places on the West coast or Northeast.
Virginia Beach is colder and has beaches, a boardwalk, a vibrant downtown, and lots of activity. Plano is flat, dry, has lots of good paying jobs, and quite a bit warmer.
One is in a red state that is becoming a swing/ battleground. One is in a solidly blue state.
Both areas are known for bad traffic.
If you were offered a job or a place in either, which would you pick?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Virginia Beach vs Plano, Tx

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:40 am

Virginia Beach for sure; north Texas summers are brutally hot!

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:35 pm

Also, Virginia Beach, although being on the Atlantic, doesn't generally see major hurricane damage

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:05 am

I have only been to Virginia Beach, and that was once very briefly due to a heavy rainstorm. The boardwalk is very nice. The city itself is far better than neighboring Norfolk!

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:29 am

fuzzpower wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:05 am
I have only been to Virginia Beach, and that was once very briefly due to a heavy rainstorm. The boardwalk is very nice. The city itself is far better than neighboring Norfolk!
Which I believe is one of the few things about the 2 that arent similar.
Besides VB being on the water, its surrounding cities arent so hot. Plano is near Allen and Frisco, 2 modern, prosperous and safe cities. VB is near Norfolk, which doesnt have an enviable crime rate. Several other Hampton Roads cities dont fare so well either.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:14 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:40 am
Virginia Beach for sure; north Texas summers are brutally hot!
No doubt. My brother lives in Fort Worth.
He says it get hot enough that if you forget and touch something outside that's metal, you get burnt.
That's too toasty for me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic