Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

CCrane FM Transmitter 2

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
bmw

CCrane FM Transmitter 2

Post by bmw » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:21 pm

I've always wanted one of these but didn't want to spend the $60 retail price. Finally found one used on Ebay for $20 plus shipping so I took a chance on it.

Got it yesterday. First, some features:
-0.5 MHZ increment tuning, covering the entire FM band
-Runs on 2x AA batteries or DC power
-Adjustable input level
-My favorite feature - has a red/green LED light that flickers green when the audio level approaches clipping and flickers red when it clips. So you can turn down the input level to the point just below getting red flashes, thus maximizing output level

Now, my thoughts. Out of the box this thing sucks big time. Solid range is about 4 feet, and outside of 10 feet the signal is gone. HOWEVER, there's a well-known mod. Remove the 3 screws holding it together and pop off the cover, and easily accessible is a tuning pot that adjusts output power. Moving it just a bit expanded my solid signal range to about 50 feet and it easily covered my house. Sound quality is EXCELLENT (far better than an old analog unit I own) and while the sound level is somewhat lower than braodcast FM even when turned to the highest possible level without clipping, it still sounds great.

Just out of curiosity, I wondered what kind of range this was capable of. I replaced the stock antenna with a 36-inch telescoping antenna and cranked the output power to the max. Put it in the upstairs of my house near a window and took a drive in my car. City-grade range was roughly 800 feet and the furthest point I picked up at least a trace of signal was at about 2/3 of a mile.

I ultimately put back on the stock antenna and set the power to comfortably cover my house without it going much further. Bottom line is this is an excellent FM transmitter.

SolarMax

Re: CCrane FM Transmitter 2

Post by SolarMax » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:37 pm

bmw wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:21 pm
...Sound quality is EXCELLENT (far better than an old analog unit I own) and while the sound level is somewhat lower than braodcast FM even when turned to the highest possible level without clipping, it still sounds great. ...
Just curious, in what way is this device not also an analog unit?

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:43 pm

Sorry, I was referring specifically to the "digital" tuning (or PLL Lock or whatever the correct technical term is). My old transmitter just has an analog dial with no digital display and it drifted pretty badly with varying temperatures. This locks right into a frequency and doesn't budge.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:34 pm

I have the same one. I use it to transmit the audio from my portable SXM receiver. The signal reaches everywhere in the house and the yard. On my car radio I hear it up to about a half block away.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:58 pm

Back when no one really cared about FM or FM interference from wireless mikes and broadcasters (1960s-early 1970s), there were projects in radio hobbyist magazines and books on constructing these. They had a much greater range, but were probably technically illegal.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:38 pm

If by "probably technically" you mean "definitely absolutely."

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:01 pm

bmw wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:38 pm
If by "probably technically" you mean "definitely absolutely."
Funny thing, the same publications back then made you get a certificate signed by at least a Second Class Radiotelephone License holder to operate a crystal controlled 400 microwatt AM BC transmitter.

Anyone know the power output, impedance matching, etc. that were used for Carrier Current AM BC transmitters used in college dorms? WFRS, later WRKX, at FSU bought an old 250 watt WSAM transmitter originally donated to Northwood, and used it with a power divider to feed power line antennas in several dormitories to avoid heterodynes between individual transmitters.

Maybe Rich remembers that transmitter.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:20 pm

The old WSAM transmitter looked like this as I recall.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:51 pm

I wish that Delphi sold the FM transmitter that they had in the SkyFi2 and MyFi original radios- high quality stereo audio thru the house. I about cried when those rigs died. The MyFi keep losing the antenna connection despite solder, epoxy, everything to keep it going. Sad when Sirius and XM had to neuter their FM modulators, thanks to Howard Stern coming thru on neighboring cars in the city drive time.
Are any of the online junk from China 100MW transmitters worth buying from FLeBay? Too hot, distortion?
I have a pair of headphones to watch TV but use the overbloated 2.4GHz range and slight delay, but old school FM, while in sync, doesn't give me much of the stereo audio. Sucks to get old and have your hearing go south from all those years with the KOSS headphone with 30watts running into them, and also listening to shortwave thru all the noise in the 70's so you can grab that station ID.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:12 pm

The stereo separation on the CCrane unit is pretty good.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:31 pm

I should set up a rig like this one in central Traverse City with some Alt-Country. I could use one of Henderson's frequencies. Throw in some id's, sit back and see what happens.

CK-722

WWPZ had that same transmitter in Petoskey, at least before the tower (without a lightning arrester) was struck.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:48 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:31 pm
I should set up a rig like this one in central Traverse City with some Alt-Country. I could use one of Henderson's frequencies. Throw in some id's, sit back and see what happens.

CK-722

WWPZ had that same transmitter in Petoskey, at least before the tower (without a lightning arrester) was struck.
A lot of Class IVs/Cs had these 250 watt transmitters for Night use before they went to 1000 watts full time, and others had it as an auxiliary transmitter. With all the rule changes and newer solid state transmitters, they were often junked or donated like the WSAM transmitter.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic