Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

If you're so unhappy, why do you stay?

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
Youplus

Re: If you're so unhappy, why do you stay?

Post by Youplus » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:30 pm

There is not one manager at the station that is a minority. There are tons of qualified minorities but would you want to work at a place where there are so few minorities. Low pay, the people that work there are not happy you can see it on many people's faces. Plus with a simple Google search, you will find all the problems the station is having. The only people coming here are the ones who really need a job and this is their only chance to move up a market size.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:21 pm

Everyone they bring in can quickly see that this is one f’ed up station. That’s why we can’t keep or recruit good people. Low pay coupled by low morale. 12 and 5 may not be much better. But there is no effort to fix these problems by the GM, HR or News Director.

Beerbong

Post by Beerbong » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:43 pm

Herm wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:20 am
Beerbong wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:39 pm
]
4. Low minority representation. You have to hire from the pool of best candidates available. I repeat. You have to hire from the pool of best candidates available. To think that there is some super secret scheme to not hire minorities is ridiculous.
Are you implying that there are no people of color in this pool of best candidates available?
Not at all. I don’t know how you got that out of my statement. It’s pretty straight forward. If you have a job opening you hire the best candidate from all of the applicants.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:45 pm

Beer: that’s not necessarily how hiring needs to be done. Good stations are recruiting all the time, they network, they partner with organizations to find good candidates and they work with universities to develop a pool of candidates for important or hard to fill positions. None of the current managers are currently doing this. That’s why they fail when it comes to finding a diverse candidate pool. It actually takes ongoing effort. And as we’ve identified in other posts, management at 25-65 is part of the problem by setting a poor example.

Herm

Post by Herm » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:50 am

Beerbong wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:43 pm
Herm wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:20 am
Beerbong wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:39 pm
]
4. Low minority representation. You have to hire from the pool of best candidates available. I repeat. You have to hire from the pool of best candidates available. To think that there is some super secret scheme to not hire minorities is ridiculous.
Are you implying that there are no people of color in this pool of best candidates available?
Not at all. I don’t know how you got that out of my statement. It’s pretty straight forward. If you have a job opening you hire the best candidate from all of the applicants.
It was your response to a low minority representation at the station. That is how I got that out of your statement. Don’t play dumb.
If your pool of applicants all look the same and they all look like your managers and they don’t look like a proper representation of your community... then you have two choices.
1. Say... “oh well... this is our pool of available candidates”.
2. Find a different pool.

Apparently... you’re cool with option 1.

Herm

Post by Herm » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:51 am

sinklair wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:45 pm
Beer: that’s not necessarily how hiring needs to be done. Good stations are recruiting all the time, they network, they partner with organizations to find good candidates and they work with universities to develop a pool of candidates for important or hard to fill positions. None of the current managers are currently doing this. That’s why they fail when it comes to finding a diverse candidate pool. It actually takes ongoing effort. And as we’ve identified in other posts, management at 25-65 is part of the problem by setting a poor example.
Exactly

Beerbong

Post by Beerbong » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:04 pm

I wish you guys well in your quest to change the world. With the way the industry is changing, I think you have a long row to hoe.
I don’t think public shaming is the answer, but it seems to be the way the world is.
I never met a person in this business that didn’t think they should be paid more for the work they do, including myself. The stark reality is, you’re only worth what the market will bear..
Last edited by Beerbong on Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beerbong

Post by Beerbong » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:59 pm

I don’t think this thread will change much. Sin will still be on the job looking for change. People will apply for jobs. Some will get hired, others won’t. Some will stay, some will go. Some will make the best of their opportunities, others won’t. Oh, I just realized you have an Easter egg hunt also! Shit! I love Easter egg hunts!

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:37 pm

Beer: if you love Easter Egg hunts, apply here: sbgi.net.

Beerbong

Post by Beerbong » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:09 pm

sinklair wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:37 pm
Beer: if you love Easter Egg hunts, apply here: sbgi.net.
If I wasn't retired I would.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:20 pm

You can still be retired... we don’t pay.

Beerbong

Post by Beerbong » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:23 pm

Then I guess that makes you the fool.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:44 pm

Nope, I get paid in grilled cheese sandwiches. Yum!

Beerbong

Post by Beerbong » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:48 pm

sinklair wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:44 pm
Nope, I get paid in grilled cheese sandwiches. Yum!
Bon appétit!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic