Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

If Southfield Public School isn't going to operate 88.3 WSHJ properly...

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: If Southfield Public School isn't going to operate 88.3 WSHJ properly...

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:03 pm

Excellent progress!

Thanks for sharing that update. These all sound like very positive things.

conelrad

Post by conelrad » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:27 pm

👍🏼

65memories

Post by 65memories » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:09 pm

Vic...this is great news. Thank for being committed. Your input is important. As a graduate of Royal Oak Kimball 55 years ago, I had the opportunity to do a daily show, plus football and basketball play-by-play on WOAK FM, the school's educational station. I thought I was another Lee Alan/Dave Diles. That experience led to a degree in Mass Communications at Wayne State. The education and experience provided at that station were invaluable. (As a sidenote, when I graduated from Wayne, I had the opportunity to manage WSHJ, replacing I think a guy named Tom Kiper or Kiple. Anyway, I turned it down, knowing the job needed someone with much more experience than my then 21 year old being could provide). Vic, thanks for making a difference.

syntheticexctasy

Post by syntheticexctasy » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:21 am

I'd love to hear WSHJ become something worth listening to.

For years and years that station has underperformed, both entertainment-wise and technically.

I posted a video on here some time ago when WSHJ was splattering .6mhz up and down the band, even from 5 miles out!

tivoking

Post by tivoking » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:45 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:17 pm
I lived in Sterling Heights and especially Warren for many years, and other than the 2003 blackout, I cannot recall a single instance of WPHS being off the air for a prolonged period or having any sort of processing, modulation or signal issues.
I can, sometime in the 2000s. Don't ask me when, I just remember tuning in during the school year, during the week, for a few days, and kept picking up that classic station. Stopped trying after a few days.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:19 pm

I forgot about that!

You are right; the station did go with the WCPE (Raleigh, NC) rebroadcast for an extended stretch on a 24/7 basis. I want to say that lasted at least a year.

Originally, WCPE programming aired only during non-school hours to allow the station 24/7 operation.

Before WCPE programming was picked up, WPHS used to only broadcast for maybe ten or twelve hours a day - and that was when school was in session. When school was not in session, the transmitter was turned off.

I had technical issues in mind when making my earlier remarks.

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:35 am

I have joined the advisory board for the station and was there last week. There is reason for tempered optimism.

Since Southfield-Lathrup closed, the TV production program that was at Southfield-Lathrup was moved to Southfield High and there's now a unified Radio/TV program. The new instructor has a solid TV production background but no experience in radio. Fortunately, the previoos full-time instructor, a retiree who came back on a temporary three-year contract because of a shortage of qualified teachers, is also on the board and is extremely forthcoming with help, including lesson plans, texts and other assistance. The new guy is more than willing to accept the help.

I have suggested that the station broadcast at least the home games for the basketball and football teams (they have the ability and the technology), as well as to record the weekly Southfield City Council meetings, edit them to a 30- or 60-minute program as we did back in the days of the Ampex 601, then rebroadcast them as part of the public service requirement.

There was also a suggestion to bring back the adult education program that kept the station on the air in the evenings and to seek underwriters for that programming and perhaps others. I am somewhat concerned about that; I am worried that people who don't know or understand underwriting regulations might, accidentally or otherwise violate the regulations and make illegal commercial announcements.

There's been a lot of new equipment installed and more is on the way. The console in the main studio has a problem that causes the left channel to drop out; it's been traced but not repaired.

Onward and upward -- I hope.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:11 am

Audio levels are still super low (as I'm sure you are already aware). Thanks for the update.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic