Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

2020 predictions

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
radioandtventhusiast

2020 predictions

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:41 pm

What are your predictions regarding radio and TV in 2020 in Detroit and other SE Michigan markets?

BKRPDM

Re: 2020 predictions

Post by BKRPDM » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:49 pm

1) Towers or Mojo will be enticed by a major market station, and leave.
2) WGPR will change to Classic Soul after about 3-6 months of unraveling their current situation.
3) Bill will get a co-host on WLLZ mornings.
4) More and more non-morning drive shifts will be voice tracked.
5) WJR will drop Guy Gordon.
6) The Ticket will do some shifting of air talent. (eg. Bogey and Stoney switch shifts)
7) The Breeze will go into constant tweak mode like 105.1 did in its last few years (and fail).

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:32 pm

I agree that a shake-up in the WJR weekday schedule will occur at some point in 2020. Look for Ben Shapiro to be onboarded. Guy Gordon will be removed as an afternoon drive time host. Not confident enough to say he'll disappear from WJR completely. (More Cumulus prediction below.)

WGPR will be sold outright in 2020, but such sale will NOT be to one of the major group owners in the city (Cumulus, Beasley, Entercom, iHM).

WLLZ will see at least one airshift of local origination eliminated in favor of out-of-market voicetracking. Bill will continue to fly solo in morning drive.

We will see additional personnel moves at Beasley's stations. They will also offload at least one of the current "Praise Network" translators. The Bounce's ratings will start to slip during the year. I expect their in-demo rankings to be significantly weaker by year end than they are now.

WJLB will have a good year ratings wise due to listener fatigue with The Bounce and WGPR at some point abandoning the Hot 107.5 format.

98.7's numbers will settle in the mid 3's. Not bad, but not great.

No major changes at either Cumulus FM station. Maybe Cumulus corporate will try to put another ribbon on their turd of a national morning show, as heard on 93.1 FM. I now believe Cumulus will keep both stations (as well as WJR) through 2020. An active political season plus programming changes will allow WJR's ratings to recover somewhat, especially in the second half of the year.

We will see more personnel reductions at Entercom's stations locally. Do not be surprised if Roberta Jasina "retires." I also suspect at least three notable on-air people from the FM stations in the cluster will be handed their walking papers for no reason other than budget cuts.

Interestingly, other than what I wrote above for WLLZ, I think personnel moves across the iHM stations will be rather quiet this year.

On the TV front, I think FOX 2 News will see its worst ratings in many years. I think Channel 7 will see its best evening news ratings in many years but only minor gains (at best) in mornings. Channel 4 will continue to narrow the gap with Fox 2 in the 5a to 7a timeslot but will see some softness in evening newscast ratings.

At least one major on-air talent will announce his retirement from one of the area TV stations. (Yup, I think it'll be a dude.)

iloveblackpeople

Post by iloveblackpeople » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:06 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:32 pm
I agree that a shake-up in the WJR weekday schedule will occur at some point in 2020. Look for Ben Shapiro to be onboarded. Guy Gordon will be removed as an afternoon drive time host. Not confident enough to say he'll disappear from WJR completely. (More Cumulus prediction below.)

WGPR will be sold outright in 2020, but such sale will NOT be to one of the major group owners in the city (Cumulus, Beasley, Entercom, iHM).

WLLZ will see at least one airshift of local origination eliminated in favor of out-of-market voicetracking. Bill will continue to fly solo in morning drive.

We will see additional personnel moves at Beasley's stations. They will also offload at least one of the current "Praise Network" translators. The Bounce's ratings will start to slip during the year. I expect their in-demo rankings to be significantly weaker by year end than they are now.

WJLB will have a good year ratings wise due to listener fatigue with The Bounce and WGPR at some point abandoning the Hot 107.5 format.

98.7's numbers will settle in the mid 3's. Not bad, but not great.

No major changes at either Cumulus FM station. Maybe Cumulus corporate will try to put another ribbon on their turd of a national morning show, as heard on 93.1 FM. I now believe Cumulus will keep both stations (as well as WJR) through 2020. An active political season plus programming changes will allow WJR's ratings to recover somewhat, especially in the second half of the year.

We will see more personnel reductions at Entercom's stations locally. Do not be surprised if Roberta Jasina "retires." I also suspect at least three notable on-air people from the FM stations in the cluster will be handed their walking papers for no reason other than budget cuts.

Interestingly, other than what I wrote above for WLLZ, I think personnel moves across the iHM stations will be rather quiet this year.

On the TV front, I think FOX 2 News will see its worst ratings in many years. I think Channel 7 will see its best evening news ratings in many years but only minor gains (at best) in mornings. Channel 4 will continue to narrow the gap with Fox 2 in the 5a to 7a timeslot but will see some softness in evening newscast ratings.

At least one major on-air talent will announce his retirement from one of the area TV stations. (Yup, I think it'll be a dude.)
Dave Llewellyn or Bernie Smilovitz

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:12 pm

I predict the Breeze doesn’t last the year. Just a hunch.

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:26 am

My 2020 predictions, in no particular order:

At least one Detroit broadcaster begins an ATSC 3.0 broadcast towards the end of the year (September-ish), and my money would be on either of WXYZ Channel 7 / WMYD TV-20 Detroit.

WLLZ starts to tank a bit in the ratings if it doesn't shape up, keeping with the tradition of cursed/doomed formats on 106.7 FM in Detroit. 2 Years seems to be the best-before date on that frequency.

Cumulus begrudgingly sells 93.1 because they need the cash. Who the buyer will be is something i can't foresee at this time, though. They might make a fuss about their coveted Nash FM losing a station in Detroit and how it's their pride and joy, but their creditors might have the final say about that (and it's possible Nash FM could even end up on say, 107.5! a swap of 93.1 for 107.5 might work out too...)

WGPR 107.5 is sold to Radio One outright (or someone else...) but they find a new branding since Hot 107.5 didn't really do much (and I'm with the other members of the buzzboard in thinking the Masons bought the intellectual property of the station, thus necessitating a brand change).

WWJ seeks an FM translator or even full-power FM station. If cumulus gets desperate enough (or the masons want out of broadcasting) they might put in a bid for either 93.1 or 107.5.

WJR continues its downward slide in the ratings thanks to a lackluster schedule. their nursing-home demographic isn't helping things either... aside from some bumps in the ratings from news-making events (and the election ramping up the closer you get to November 2020), i wouldn't be surprised if WJR bottoms out at 1.9 at least once.

CKCO-TV-3 in Oil Springs shuts down on May 2, 2020, thus ending all analog broadcasts in the Metro Detroit/Southeast Michigan/Southwestern Ontario region. For the first time since 1946, an analog television will be unable to pick up *anything* here without a converter.

If Bell is feeling particularly generous and adventurous, they might apply for permission to start HD Radio broadcasts on one of their FM stations in Windsor, likely to carry CKWW (AM 580 Memories) and maybe AM 800 CKLW too. It would actually be a decent use of such technology, and would match their behaviour in other cities like London and Toronto. It would actually be of use if either station suffers another transmitter problem that disables their AM facilities for a couple days.

and lastly, the no-duh low-hanging fruit:
WCXI and WPON *still* aren't operating at permanent (or even semi-permanent) facilities (tower, power, studios) yet... :blink

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:46 am

Ringtail, analog televisions will technically still be able to pick up FM broadcasts on channel 6 :razz

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

-Byron "The Broadcast Butcher" Allen

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:28 pm

I think there is an app for a Franken FM in Toledo. That should cover part of the Metro.
If Cumulus sells a station, my bets are it would be WJR before 93.1

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:53 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:28 pm
I think there is an app for a Franken FM in Toledo. That should cover part of the Metro.
If Cumulus sells a station, my bets are it would be WJR before 93.1
Once the last repack phase is over, I think all US TV stations have to go digital, this obviously includes LPTVs, because they're the last analog TV stations in America

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

-Byron "The Broadcast Butcher" Allen

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:09 pm

*I punch my stereo when I hear Motley Crue or Bon Jovi on any of the rock/AC/Classic Hits formats...so, every 10-15 minutes.

*My classic rock station segues will continue to be Eagles into Red Hot Chili Peppers

*All stations will have more tracking than a cheap VCR

*WRIF's ratings will sink like a concrete turd. You don't blow out an award-winning programmer and a well-known jock and expect the same winning.

*Related: Will WLLZ pick up on any of these losses? Fuck. To. The. No. We'll get "Bob Schmuck" on tape from Vegas (see above).

I think Aerosmith titled a song about what's gonna happen in 2020...
Last edited by Mega Hertz on Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

696lover

Post by 696lover » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:30 pm

There will be a violent attack with injuries against TV people in the field, either MMJ or a team.

WXYZ's issues with Malcom, the women, and the promotion will blow up.

Mike Morse will force at least one station to put him back on the air, either as legal commentator or directly to address his issues.

2 and 7 will both shrink their headcounts more.

WJR will bottom out.

3 more radio stations will go 80s rock

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:34 pm

696lover wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:30 pm

Please. God. No.

-TurkeyTop

JLesinski

Post by JLesinski » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:38 pm

696lover wrote:

Sweet! 3 more stations to play "Back in Black" 3 times a day!

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:41 pm

JLesinski wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:38 pm
696lover wrote:

Sweet! 3 more stations to play "Back in Black" 3 times a day!
A DAY!? More like an HOUR! I bet if I went downstairs and turned on my radio, someone either just played it, is playing it or is about to play it.

-TurkeyTop

windsor

Post by windsor » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:03 am

SXM subscriber's don't cancel at renewal time...……..

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic