Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Windsor ratings are out; 89X is slipping again

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Windsor ratings are out; 89X is slipping again

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:36 pm

After a strong fall 2018 showing (about a 5.4 share, as I recall), 89X's numbers are once again tanking.

They managed only a 3.7 share in the Fall 2019 survey for Windsor - Essex County, which puts them in a tie with Country 95.9 and places them behind all other locally-based commercial FM stations.

On the bright side, sister station 93.9 The River appears to be doing well. People in Windsor must enjoy really boring music.

http://assets.numeris.ca/Downloads/2019 ... s_REV1.pdf

windsor

Re: Windsor ratings are out; 89X is slipping again

Post by windsor » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:24 pm

A few observations about these ….and I use the term loosely...….ratings. :barf

--Numeris doesn't send out books to Windsor/Essex anymore bc no one will fill them out.
---They called my residence and asked me what my fav radio station I listen to the most was.I told them a Detroit station they said ok thx...lol
----If you look at these ratings they are just for radio in the area listed, meaning no one in Chatham/kent for example listens to out of market radio like AM800 or 89X according to them.
--I know that the stations listed that subscribe get more in depth stats.
---But what is the point of these listings, they tell you sweet FA for the general public.

In reality totally meaningless.

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:05 pm

To what extent does the WNUC-LP signal mess with CHYR's reception in Windsor? If the interference is significant, perhaps River is taking the place of Mix 96.7 as the workplace station of choice.

Also was pleased to note Easy 101-3's downward trending in London. Not long ago that station was in the 8, 9 share range; now it's down to a 5.3. It appears the disenfranchised Soft AC listeners went to Jack FM and listeners who can't get enough Shawn Mendes and Jonas Brothers are sticking with Virgin and Fresh.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:52 am

The Windsor numbers will never be accurate until the Detroit stations are listed. I wonder if the stations themselves receive those numbers. CFCO and possibly CHOK probably have a small rating as well.

I love checking out the numbers of Hamilton’s CKOC and CHAM. Two powerful AMs with horrendous ratings. The former is only there because of the Ti-Cats. Most sports fans in Hamilton tune to Toronto stations, though the numbers don’t list that.

Last I heard, Numeris is offering a whopping five bucks to fill out their diary.

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:06 am

Looks like the strategy of "if we ignore the american stations and pretend they don't exist, it'll solve all our problems!" isn't working out for Numeris after all.

I wonder if 89X is suffering due to all the people curious about WLLZ and giving them a listen for a bit. Once the novelty wears off, things might return to normal.

I'm sure at least a couple people in Chatham listen to AM 800 CKLW, since they give weather and road reports (especially for Highway 401), and air the occasional Chatham-area story in their local news segments (though yes, the Chatham stations can and do focus on those better).

I live right in downtown Windsor and I've heard nothing from WNUC-LP. rock-solid CHYR-FM here. Even walking along the riverfront, getting as close as i can to its broadcast area without either getting in a canoe or taking the Tunnel Bus across, I still get nothing but CHYR-FM on my Walkman, so it's literally a non-factor. I'd assume it's rather the recipient of quite severe interference in its own neighbourhood instead just from the power levels and proximity, and I doubt any nulls could fix that.

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:37 pm

I wonder if 89X is suffering due to all the people curious about WLLZ and giving them a listen for a bit. Once the novelty wears off, things might return to normal.
Could certainly be part of the reason.

I think the bigger reasons are the fact WRIF is kicking their ass and 89X's overall sound is boring.

Same gold titles keep playing week...after week...after week. Too many currents & recurrents the stations plays are stiffs. Some of the air talent has the energy level of dry chalk.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:29 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:37 pm
Some of the air talent has the energy level of dry chalk.
That's an insult to dry chalk.

Wait. They have an airstaff?

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

48125er

Post by 48125er » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:23 pm

I Imagine most workplaces either play 96.3, 98.7 or 100.3 like most places along with 93.9

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:11 am

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:05 pm
To what extent does the WNUC-LP signal mess with CHYR's reception in Windsor? If the interference is significant, perhaps River is taking the place of Mix 96.7 as the workplace station of choice.
If Radio Locator's maps are an accurate indication, then the answer is A LOT. I think it is pure insanity that this LP signal was authorized to sign on at that frequency. I did an approximate superimpose of one coverage map over the other:

Was this seriously the best frequency available?

windsor

Post by windsor » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:48 am

Here's an article on Numeris……..and just as I thought , a non profit, layman's terms just another arm of gov't. :barf

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/te ... e22838581/

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:29 pm

I work most days in downtown Detroit. WNUC-LP's signal dies out near the Wayne State University campus. Along the riverfront, Mix 96.7 comes in loudly & clearly with no hint of WNUC-LP.

I suspect the skyscrapers between its New Center TX site and the riverfront do a very good job of attenuating the signal. The antenna used by WNUC-LP is only about 100 feet above ground level.

WNUC-LP's areal coverage is indeed miserable. To the northwest, the useful signal covers about a two mile radius. To the southeast, it covers about a 0.5 to 1 mile radius.

The licensee apparently lives in an apartment near St. John Providence Hospital in Southfield, according to the address on file with the FCC. It strikes me as bizarre that a resident of Southfield would be interested in operating an LPFM based in Detroit's New Center neighborhood.

Here is a better representation of CHYR-FM's predicted coverage; plotted is the theoretical 54 dBu contour:
https://fccdata.org/?lang=en&canfm=CHYR-FM

The signal has a deep null to the southwest (toward Monroe, MI) but sends near maximum ERP in the direction of Detroit.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:31 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:37 pm
Could certainly be part of the reason.

I think the bigger reasons are the fact WRIF is kicking their ass and 89X's overall sound is boring.

Same gold titles keep playing week...after week...after week. Too many currents & recurrents the stations plays are stiffs. Some of the air talent has the energy level of dry chalk.
Speaking of the energy level of dry chalk, they need to either kill off the Hungover Brunch on Sundays or move it a few hours earlier. The demographic a rock station is trying to appeal to is usually cracking a beer and getting ready to watch the Lions or Tigers (or the Blue Jays or whatever Canadian team) at noon on Sundays, they don't want to hear acoustic music.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:27 pm

When does radical dayparting ever really work?

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:38 pm

Acoustic Sunday mornings is more of a classic rock thing. It doesn’t belong on an active rock station.

I was in Wyandotte a few days ago, and CHYR booms in. No sign whatsoever of the Detroit LP.

windsor

Post by windsor » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:32 pm

Blackburn Radio must be run by some real braindeads over there.

Here you have a news/talk locally that gets a 17share AM800.

Blackburn has an AM signal on 630 that has a good signal into Windsor and leaves a Country format on there for yrs now.In fact they just flipped CHOK Sarnia to Country, which also has a good signal into Chatham.Not only that ...Nash,WYCD, and CJWF all country formats penetrates that market.

Wouldn't you think someone would suggest maybe we can get us some of that 17 share as News/Talk630???? This Canadian media is wacky......

Earth to Blackburn Radio Inc...…. :roll:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic