Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Another perspective on NBC 25/ FOX 66

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
Joel Feick

Another perspective on NBC 25/ FOX 66

Post by Joel Feick » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:15 pm

There’s a lotta hate being spewed on this message board about 25/66. Let me offer another view. After I was canned from 12 after 27 great years, I was out of a job.
25 News Director Kathy Reynolds offered me the morning show gig. I was so grateful to be working again. It was tough in those early years on Willard Road. Although the people were great, the equipment and facilities sucked. A few years later, Sinclair CEO David Smith came to Clio, after they bought us. He stood right next to my desk and said “ we’re gonna get you outta here”.
And he did.
Millions were spent on a new studio and newsroom. The best engineers on the planet were lured from 12. We were respectable for the first time ever.
I was proud to work there. Did I agree with everything? No. (“Must runs” and Boris come to mind).
And yes they can do better with diversity.
Plus Sinclair micro-managed.
But I enjoyed working for Chad and Mike. Neille is great, too.
Yes there are problems. But they’re not unique to 25/66.
It hurts me when I read such hateful things about people I respect.
Please know from my perspective, it was a great place to work.

sinklair

Re: Another perspective on NBC 25/ FOX 66

Post by sinklair » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:39 pm

It’s great to hear from you Joel. I’m glad you are doing some great work at The Diversity Network. They do important work and benefit from having a media pro like you.

However your departure and the departure of many others belies the problem at 25-66. They don’t pay and respect their employees.

It’s good for others to hear your perspective that you enjoyed your time at WEYI. But there are many others who are equally as unhappy that management doesn’t listen or care.

When there were people who did give a s***, like Schram, they get shown the door. What message did that send? Keep yer trap shut or you’ll be next. It’s become impossible to come to work on Pierson Road every day and do your best work knowing you might be the next one shown the door.

If youvare hurt by my comments or others’ comments here, then the GM and managent at 25-66 have the power to make changes. They won’t. Ego gets in the way every time.

I respect you, Joel, for saying what you believe. But I respectfully and forcefully disagree and believe those at the top need to go if WEYI is to ever become anything more than a basement dweller.

lilnut13

Post by lilnut13 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:13 pm

Joel, how are you? You look great! Hope you have a Merry Christmas!

I agree with you, I honestly was excited also when Sinclair bought out Barrington and got NBC off Willard Rd.

No more pot holes so large they could eat your car whole or getting stuck on Gera and Willard because, of course, no one wants to plow the county line... so let's just not do it! Not to mention the car crushing ice falling off the tower....

It really was a good thing!

Watching them build out the awesome new facility putting all the money and resources into something NBC never had before.

I worked my tail off... for what? For the LSM, GSM, & HR to come after me, why?
They made up some crazy shit when they came after me 99% was totally fabricated. They had just done the same thing to a fellow NBC employee that was there longer then I was.... again why, no reason other then the LSM felt as though we were a threat to his job. Not really sure why because her and I pretty much did his job for him and once both of us were gone so was he shortly after...hhhmmm....🤔

I don't think it's so much Sinclair Corporate (they are just to far removed to know what is going on!) as it is internal management starting at the GM! Some of the managers are better then others, that is true, but it has to start somewhere. It's not personal....its 100% business!

I don't give a flying monkey fart whether they read these boards or not. If the truth bothers them then they should do something about it!

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:43 pm

Sinclair made some initial investments. But 5 years later with very little to show for their investment —in terms of ratings — Sinclair and their GM throw in the towel. They have layoffs, budget cuts, and one of the worst rebranding gimmicks I’ve ever seen.

You can look at it one of two ways. (1) 25-66 is a failing business model and you need to blow it up and start over. Or (2) hire good people, support them and let them do good work... which in time will find an audience, ratings and eventually profits. We thought we were on path 2... when Sinclair’s bean counter in the corner office was actually only concerned about the bottom line, irrespective of long term implications. He’s fine with being a 3rd and 4th place station as long as he can reach his profitability goals (profit-expenses)/budget goals.

Playing a game of Family Feud doesn’t negate all the negativity coming from department heads demanding more with less help.

Joel felt it was time for him to jump ship. Thats his right. Not all of us want to leave or have his same opportunities. It’s not unreasonable to want a supportive boss... who lets you do your job with quality.

25-66 isn’t my first station. I’ve had good and bad news directors and GMs. But I can tell you this station has some of the worst management I’ve ever seen. It also has great potential... if they ever can get out of their own way.

DAC

Post by DAC » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:15 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:43 pm
This speaks volumes.

It shows, if the poster is truly Joel Feick, that everyone in the business reads this message board. Most will deny it, but they’re lying.
I guess, then, it shows that everyone in the business is also exposed to your miserable bullshit every god damn day.

DAC

Post by DAC » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:45 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:13 pm
DAC wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:15 pm
lovinlife101 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:43 pm
This speaks volumes.

It shows, if the poster is truly Joel Feick, that everyone in the business reads this message board. Most will deny it, but they’re lying.
I guess, then, it shows that everyone in the business is also exposed to your miserable bullshit every god damn day.
Wow. Do you kiss your mom with that mouth? I know I do.
My mom's dead! You corpse fetish person!

DAC

Post by DAC » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:41 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:50 pm
DAC wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:45 pm
[quote=lovinlife101 post_id=590957 time=<a href="tel:1577240023">1577240023</a> user_id=9159]
[quote=DAC post_id=590953 time=<a href="tel:1577236552">1577236552</a> user_id=826]
[quote=lovinlife101 post_id=590890 time=<a href="tel:1577151812">1577151812</a> user_id=9159]
This speaks volumes.

Wow. Do you kiss your mom with that mouth? I know I do.
[/quote]

My mom's dead! You corpse fetish person!
[/quote]

I see you’ve played knifey spoony before, corpse kisser!
[/quote]

Drink up, Bub.. That made even less sense than your usual brand of "clever."

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:52 pm

Another departure from 25-66...

Now their 10pm producer is leaving the sinking ship.

If you’re really hard up for a job, here’s the current openings:
10pm producer
Sports director
MMJ reporter
Executive producer

You won’t get paid much. You’ll leave as soon as your contract is over. You have to work in one of north Flint’s worst neighborhoods. And minorities need not apply.

But, hey, if you want to play games and eat all the grilled cheese sandwiches you can eat, this place might be the place for you.

Just make sure not to challenge the GM or his henchmen/women with any sort of logic... and be sure to laugh at all Chad’s bad jokes. That’s how we roll at 25-66!

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:42 am

Also interesting is that the 10pm producer who left is the fiancée of Chief Engineer/wonderkid Chris Harris, the son of Bill Harris. Rumor is more changes are a’comin.

Youplus

Post by Youplus » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:15 pm

sinklair wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:52 pm
Another departure from 25-66...

Now their 10pm producer is leaving the sinking ship.

If you’re really hard up for a job, here’s the current openings:
10pm producer
Sports director
MMJ reporter
Executive producer

You won’t get paid much. You’ll leave as soon as your contract is over. You have to work in one of north Flint’s worst neighborhoods. And minorities need not apply.

But, hey, if you want to play games and eat all the grilled cheese sandwiches you can eat, this place might be the place for you.

Just make sure not to challenge the GM or his henchmen/women with any sort of logic... and be sure to laugh at all Chad’s bad jokes. That’s how we roll at 25-66!
Hannah sucked as a producer and I personally happy she didn't get the 10pm show. If your smart you would leave the station as well.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:28 pm

I love it when others say “if you hate it there, just leave.”

Why should I have to leave when I’ve worked all my professional career to do a good job. I haven’t done anything wrong.

If others are threatened by me calling out the wrongdoings of management... then I suggest 25-66 management leave or at the very least address the serious issues I’ve raised and improve the working conditions, morale and pay for workers.

If I leave, it’ll my choice, on my terms and on my timeline... not others...

Youplus

Post by Youplus » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:39 am

I agree you shouldn’t have to leave but there is so much more out there

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic