Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Seriously WTF?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
JLesinski

Seriously WTF?

Post by JLesinski » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:38 pm

Today I hear Van Halens "Top of the World" released in 1991 on WCSX. No complaints as its a great tune. Not sure it belongs on WCSX but thats another matter... Meanwhile on WLLZ (The new generation of Classic Rock :lol ) Casey seems incredibly reluctant to play any Van Halen with Sammy yet more than happy to play 70's retreads.
Ridiculous. Do any of our programmers know what they're doing?

Mega Hertz

Re: Seriously WTF?

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:29 am

LLZ has been known to play "Right Now" from time to time. I've also heard "Dreams". Yes, I'm burnt to shit on Hot For Teacher, Jump, You Really Got Me, etc., but "Top of the World"? I'm shocked as hell that one got played. I'm bummed I missed it! Don't forget, research "shows" the 500 people asked only wanna hear those first album and 1984 songs. It wasn't unusual for years to hear any random VH song in rotation, but when Cubic Zirconia Dave returned to the group to add his "cat getting raped" vocals, the Sammy stuff all but disappeared from the air. Kudos to WCSX for doing something different.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:42 pm

I think Sammy was the much better singer but the Diamond Dave music was more interesting and fun. The Hagar era was radio-tailored corporate rock.
BTW-i still dont believe "classic rock" stations should play anything past 1984.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:02 pm

1984 was 35 years ago. When the format started in the 80s, the time limit was 20 years, 25 tops. Classic Rock stations should be playing more 90s tunes, but the issue will be weeding out the crap (Green Day, for example) from the good.

JLesinski

Post by JLesinski » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:24 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:02 pm
1984 was 35 years ago. When the format started in the 80s, the time limit was 20 years, 25 tops. Classic Rock stations should be playing more 90s tunes, but the issue will be weeding out the crap (Green Day, for example) from the good.
I dont have any issue with any of that. It was just weird that the classic rock station that has been known to stick to safe overplayed, "hits" (WCSX) has been branching out into newer material (good for them!)while the supposed "Next generation of classic rock" WLLZ seems to play more and more tired old overplayed stuff. Its like WLLZ is trying to steal WCSX's schtick for some reason.

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:12 am

Rock music itself was still younger in the 80s. I see "classic rock" as more of a period in rock and rolls development. To me, it was earlier styles that influenced or inspired new movements a decade later.
Bands like Guns and Roses were a later generation that were obviously influenced by pre-1980 sub-genres. To my stubborn self, "classic rock" defines the pioneering eras that led to more modern acts now hogging the airways.
To each his/her own I guess...

szmigiel

Post by szmigiel » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:00 am

That is the big issue, radio uses the label "Classic Rock", but there is no set definition to what that truly means. Also there is no good terms that can be used to define eras or generations.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:24 pm

And the lap around the VH track with Gary Cherone, C'mon.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:56 am

Yesterday I heard Van Halen's "Why Can't This Be Love" on Eagle 101.5 Manistee. Also, 92.3 WBNZ's commercial-free active rock format has played "Me Wise Magic" from DLR's very brief first return to Van Halen in 1996 (pre-Cherone)

JLesinski

Post by JLesinski » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:51 pm

Trophyhead wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:24 pm
This is a dark time best forgotten.

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:06 pm

JLesinski wrote:
Trophyhead wrote:
"Dark time" is an understatement. The WORST period of VH ever.

I like both Dave and Sammy, which always makes me wonder if I'm gonna be burned to the stake or some shit because of it. Image

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

take this job and shove it

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:26 am

thatonedude wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:06 pm
JLesinski wrote:
Trophyhead wrote:
"Dark time" is an understatement. The WORST period of VH ever.

I like both Dave and Sammy, which always makes me wonder if I'm gonna be burned to the stake or some shit because of it. Image

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
I PREFER Sammy to Dave! That said, visit the Steve Hoffman Music Forums, sign up, find a Van Halen related thread, and let them know you like Sammy. If you got burned at the stake, you'd be getting off easy lol

-TurkeyTop

JLesinski

Post by JLesinski » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:46 am

And the homogenization continues. WLLZ has undeniably increased their number of 70's songs in their playlist where now they are basically every other song or every 3rd song with a Nirvana, Ozzy or AC/DC song in between.
WCSX is clearly adding more newer songs into their rotation resulting in 2 very similar stations.
I get why WLLZ is doing it: WCSX had a hugely successful method and they are trying to copy that with minor tweaks (with an 80's or 90's song thrown into the mix to try and capture younger folks). Thats fine but be honest about it. Dont tell us your going to be new and different from the get-go and then proceed to copy WCSX.
Thank God for WRIF. Props to them. Not always my cup of tea but at least they are interesting.

JLesinski

Post by JLesinski » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:40 pm

And today I hear Candlebox on WCSX! From 1993! :lol
WCSX continues to expand their playlist and WRIF continues to kick all kinds of ass.
WLLZ continues to tread water; hopelessly stuck with ridiculous programming that tries to please everyone but actually does the opposite. Such a shame.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:13 am

Caught an REM to Quiet Riot dry segue on CSX last night. I'm no programming whiz, but that segue sounded SO out of place. What's next...The Cure into Motley Crue?

-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic