Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

2020 predictions for Toledo radio/TV.

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
radioandtventhusiast

2020 predictions for Toledo radio/TV.

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:39 pm

It's that time of year again for predictions. I'm thinking not too many big changes this year, but here's what I think could happen.

1. 106.5 might flip to a new format, depending on what happens with the station trust situation. Possibly religious.

2. After a few years of health issues, including a bad stroke earlier this summer, Grizzly retires after a nearly-25 year career in radio.

3. Dan Cummins retires after a long career at WTOL. He's no longer doing sports and seems to only do the noon news and the 7:00 half-hour newscast on WUPW.

4. There may be budget cuts at either IHeart or Cumulus, possibly resulting in layoffs.

5. The revamped Zone will get average, but not great ratings.

fuzzpower

Re: 2020 predictions for Toledo radio/TV.

Post by fuzzpower » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:42 pm

106.5 stays where it is. No sale.
Budget cuts are likely at both major radio companies.
WCWA still has no FM translator
The Zone doesn’t last the year. Talk radio returns.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:33 pm

WCWA is only available as an HD-2 signal, an FM translator was in the works, moving it from 200 miles away, but never seemed to happen.
I am amazed at how WTOL news seems like the old Ch24 low budget, no big name anchors, only Weather is decently staffed; so I assume WTVG is going to clean their clock on 6 and 11 for some time.
WNWO news is totally worthless, IMO unless you want the daily Terrorist Alert news- WTF?
I don't know how Cumulus could cut any further without totally destroying their market share; even iHeart is close to minimum staffing, IMO.
I just don't see any exciting things happening in Toledo radio in 2020 unless we get a new player in town, which I would welcome.

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:31 am

I don't see a lot happening. 106.5 is the wild card, if there going to hold onto the station awhile longer, Simulcast The Zone!

1. 106.5 is possibly sold.

2. URban sells 97.3 and 95.7, WPFX is sold as well, A new owner comes in but formats stay as is.

3. 1230 still has no FM translator

4. 105.5fm possibly adjusts to a more standard AC format, keeping The Q name

5.98.3 Monroe is sold to a small local owner maybe.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:24 am

Honestly Toledo radio and TV is so awash in mediocrity and boredom, outsourced and downsized to the bone that who really cares enough to make predictions anymore?

WOHO did hit on a good point regarding WTOL's news. How the mighty have fallen. Kristi is an airhead who couldn't even make lead anchor in the now-defunct WUPW and WNWO local news operations. Andrew Kinsey is horrible, heavy breathing and constantly popping his lips right into the mic. I know not everybody liked Anderson and Peterson, but at least they sounded professional. Shiels, Wichman, Vickers and Heidbreder still do a good job with the weather, Jordan Strack is a good sports guy, but everyone else there seems fresh out of BGSU.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:34 am

1) Pride Radio (same EXACT playlist as Q96-9 was, but updated) goes on WVKS HD3. BTW, the only thing LGBTQ on this channel is the sweepers. No LGBTQ news, commentary, events, or public service. Just the gay male oriented EDM. So the slogan "Pride Radio- The pulse of LGBTQ America" does not fit.

2) London Mitchell retires from radio and only works with computers for the DD folks.

3) WTOL tries something new with local newscasts, that never has been done within this DMA. Local newscasts remain the same since the 60's and has not evolved.

4) Jeff Shetzer quits K100.

5) WMNT48 gets a major fine or loses its class A status.

6) Cumulus still goes on the cheap again... no backup generator.

7) Teddy Bear does NOT predict any deaths... since I was too bullseye with Harvey.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:20 pm

CurlyHoward wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:24 am
Kristi is an airhead who couldn't even make lead anchor in the now-defunct WUPW and WNWO local news operations.
Never liked her on any station. Seems too phony and bubbly. Not crazy about dark purple hair either.

CurlyHoward wrote:
Andrew Kinsey is horrible, heavy breathing and constantly popping his lips right into the mic.
I can't stand "Lisp Incorporated" on WTOL. Was only in the mornings (Vickers), now seems all day (Andrew). Bill Knight, Jim Taylor and Bill Manders NEVER lispped, and were all open LGBTQ.

I no longer watch any local stuff, including the awful deliveries on all channels. News is not a joke or laugh marathon. News is also not a space filler for a body, much like what radio has become for any voice. News is not supposed to be an ATM card.

Currently working with automation that can speak song artists and titles, time and a script for current temps and WX. Yes, this is the future... but we choose to not use that feature. Point is, broadcasting is no longer quality or about the public interest, to keep licenses. The wrong people fill positions they are not qualified to be in, nor do they want to learn that position.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:55 pm

CurlyHoward wrote:
Honestly Toledo radio and TV is so awash in mediocrity and boredom, outsourced and downsized to the bone that who really cares enough to make predictions anymore?

WOHO did hit on a good point regarding WTOL's news. How the mighty have fallen. Kristi is an airhead who couldn't even make lead anchor in the now-defunct WUPW and WNWO local news operations. Andrew Kinsey is horrible, heavy breathing and constantly popping his lips right into the mic. I know not everybody liked Anderson and Peterson, but at least they sounded professional. Shiels, Wichman, Vickers and Heidbreder still do a good job with the weather, Jordan Strack is a good sports guy, but everyone else there seems fresh out of BGSU.
I personally like Kristi, and always thought she was fired from both 36 and 24 was due to decisions beyond her control. Kinsey is not bad without the dramatic breathing at times. I think the problem is that they seem to lack chemistry. Jerry and Chrys were the best duo 11 ever had. I agree that Robert and his team are great and Jordan is very good too.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic