Acceptable registrations in the queue through October 17 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

HD 2 and 3 stations

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
User avatar
Silvio Dante
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:59 pm

HD 2 and 3 stations

Post by Silvio Dante » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:31 am

Just got a car that has HD Radio, starting to check out the additional stations. Anyone have any recommendations on any that are worth listening to? Is there a guide anywhere that lists them? Noticed that WRIF now has an all Dave and Chuck channel as their HD3.



BKRPDM
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:40 pm

Re: HD 2 and 3 stations

Post by BKRPDM » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:09 pm

IHeart doesn’t seem to care much about HD, because their HD2s for both 95.5 and 97.9 have been down for many months, and the HD2 and HD3 for 106.7 is spotty in terms of reception.

WNIC “Sunny Radio” isn’t too bad on 100.3 HD2, as well as Smooth Jazz V98.7 on 98.7 HD2. Both HD2s for 94.7 and 104.3 have oldies, although 94.7 is all Christmas now



User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 4377
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: HD 2 and 3 stations

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:44 am

97.1 HD2, which rebroadcasts WWJ, is the only one I have any use for.


Rock 95.5 in Chicago is the worst sounding major market rock station in the history of corporate radio.

User avatar
Colonel Flagg
Posts: 290
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: HD 2 and 3 stations

Post by Colonel Flagg » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:31 pm

I have an HD radio, but have never hooked it up. Is 98.7 still offering Smooth Jazz on one of their HD channels?


"Nobody can get the truth out of me because even I don't know what it is. I keep myself in a constant state of utter confusion."

n8fnr
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:38 am

Re: HD 2 and 3 stations

Post by n8fnr » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:22 pm

What does WRCJ broadcast on 90.9-1?

I looked on their site and can't find anything about the HD channel if they play different music or whatever.

Zack
N8FNR



ChrisWL1980
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:36 am

Re: HD 2 and 3 stations

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:16 pm

n8fnr wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:22 pm
What does WRCJ broadcast on 90.9-1?

I looked on their site and can't find anything about the HD channel if they play different music or whatever.

Zack
N8FNR
WRCJ-HD1, like all HD1 channels, is just a simulcast of the main (analog) signal. WRCJ does not have any HD side channels.


Voting Blue: The Best Way to Remove Stubborn Orange Stains.

ChrisWL1980
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:36 am

Re: HD 2 and 3 stations

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:23 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:31 pm
I have an HD radio, but have never hooked it up. Is 98.7 still offering Smooth Jazz on one of their HD channels?
Last I checked, this was the HD2/3 lineup in the Detroit/Ann Arbor area:

92.3 HD2 - Jammin' (Classic Hip-Hop/R&B)
93.1 HD2 - Nash Icon
94.7 HD2 - normally Oldies, currently Christmas Music
96.3 HD2 - WJR
97.1 HD2 - WWJ / HD3 - WXYT-AM
98.7 HD2 - Smooth Jazz V98-7 / HD3 - Channel Q (LGBTQ Talk/EDM)
99.5 HD2 - The Wolf (currently playing Country Christmas Music) / HD3 - The Crossing (CCM)
100.3 HD2 - Sunny (Soft AC)
101.1 HD2 - RIFF2 / HD3 - Dave & Chuck
102.7 Two side channels, one is Air 1 and the other is K-Love Classics; I forget which is which
103.5 HD2 - WCHB-AM / HD3 - WRDT-AM
104.3 HD2 - Oldies 104.3 / HD3 - The Boulevard
105.9 HD2 - Praise Network (not sure if HD3 is gone, I couldn't get it in the last time I was in the area and I can't get them at all where I live)
106.7 HD2 - Wild (Rhythmic CHR) (HD3 was broadcasting dead air last time I got them in; used to be Oldies)

95.5, 97.9, 105.1 and 107.5 are currently broadcasting HD1 only with no side channels.

89.1 WEMU and 101.9 WDET have not had HD service for some time. WEMU's HD operates intermittently. WDET has not been in HD in years.


Voting Blue: The Best Way to Remove Stubborn Orange Stains.

n8fnr
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:38 am

Re: HD 2 and 3 stations

Post by n8fnr » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:24 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:16 pm
n8fnr wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:22 pm
What does WRCJ broadcast on 90.9-1?

I looked on their site and can't find anything about the HD channel if they play different music or whatever.

Zack
N8FNR
WRCJ-HD1, like all HD1 channels, is just a simulcast of the main (analog) signal. WRCJ does not have any HD side channels.
So what is the point of the HD simulcast if they play the same thing on both channels?



User avatar
SolarMax
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:59 pm
Location: 313

Re: HD 2 and 3 stations

Post by SolarMax » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:51 am

n8fnr wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:24 pm
So what is the point of the HD simulcast if they play the same thing on both channels?
You know, since it's Digital, it's better (or potentially so). :P
Possible also that in some situations the HD version might be less susceptible to background noise than the analog channel.

" F. M. - No Static at All "- Steely Dan



User avatar
windsor
Posts: 440
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:27 pm
Location: In OZZy"s BoneYard.....

Re: HD 2 and 3 stations

Post by windsor » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:52 pm

You would think a station would do an opposite format to take away from the competition.

Ex WOMC would do a Metal type jukebox type or even a Big Band era format something not being done.Im sure you could sell some ad time even if its this hour of music brought to you by...…..blah blah company.

Terrestrial is missing boat on this in the metro.


WLLZ needs to bring Sreaming Scott to Morning's on 106.7

User avatar
WOHO
Posts: 398
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:05 am
Location: Cumulus has killed 1470 KHz

Re: HD 2 and 3 stations

Post by WOHO » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:58 pm

I think the reason there isn't more HD2 and HD3 activity is because I believe that iBiquity, or whatever they changed their name to now, charges a fee for HD, which is stupid. They nail receiver manufacturers, so they have no incentive to add it for their fees as well. It's too bad, as Windsor mentioned, put some niche programming on an HD3, like beautiful music, the damn NOAA Weather radio channel, some high school programming, etc... terrestrial radio really dropped the ball on this.
In Toledo, only iHeart/Clear Channel uses their HD2 for rebroadcast of their AM stations and one is the feed for a hip-hop translator station. Cumulus has shut down all of their Toledo HD's except for 105.5 which has the HD2 as the feed for the 100.7 translator.

Unless HD on FM is permitted to increase their power up to 10% of the main channel, you don't get near the range on HD as you do for the analog.

Also, the Toledo iHeart AM stations were told by corporate to shut-down their HD-AM operations, unlike the old CBS stations in Detroit.



ftballfan
Posts: 549
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: HD 2 and 3 stations

Post by ftballfan » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:14 am

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:23 pm
Colonel Flagg wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:31 pm
I have an HD radio, but have never hooked it up. Is 98.7 still offering Smooth Jazz on one of their HD channels?
Last I checked, this was the HD2/3 lineup in the Detroit/Ann Arbor area:

92.3 HD2 - Jammin' (Classic Hip-Hop/R&B)
93.1 HD2 - Nash Icon
94.7 HD2 - normally Oldies, currently Christmas Music
96.3 HD2 - WJR
97.1 HD2 - WWJ / HD3 - WXYT-AM
98.7 HD2 - Smooth Jazz V98-7 / HD3 - Channel Q (LGBTQ Talk/EDM)
99.5 HD2 - The Wolf (currently playing Country Christmas Music) / HD3 - The Crossing (CCM)
100.3 HD2 - Sunny (Soft AC)
101.1 HD2 - RIFF2 / HD3 - Dave & Chuck
102.7 Two side channels, one is Air 1 and the other is K-Love Classics; I forget which is which
103.5 HD2 - WCHB-AM / HD3 - WRDT-AM
104.3 HD2 - Oldies 104.3 / HD3 - The Boulevard
105.9 HD2 - Praise Network (not sure if HD3 is gone, I couldn't get it in the last time I was in the area and I can't get them at all where I live)
106.7 HD2 - Wild (Rhythmic CHR) (HD3 was broadcasting dead air last time I got them in; used to be Oldies)

95.5, 97.9, 105.1 and 107.5 are currently broadcasting HD1 only with no side channels.

89.1 WEMU and 101.9 WDET have not had HD service for some time. WEMU's HD operates intermittently. WDET has not been in HD in years.
Does WLEN still run HD? When I lived in Ypsilanti, their HD signal would occasionally come in.



ChrisWL1980
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:36 am

Re: HD 2 and 3 stations

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:11 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:14 am
ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:23 pm
Colonel Flagg wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:31 pm
I have an HD radio, but have never hooked it up. Is 98.7 still offering Smooth Jazz on one of their HD channels?
Last I checked, this was the HD2/3 lineup in the Detroit/Ann Arbor area:

92.3 HD2 - Jammin' (Classic Hip-Hop/R&B)
93.1 HD2 - Nash Icon
94.7 HD2 - normally Oldies, currently Christmas Music
96.3 HD2 - WJR
97.1 HD2 - WWJ / HD3 - WXYT-AM
98.7 HD2 - Smooth Jazz V98-7 / HD3 - Channel Q (LGBTQ Talk/EDM)
99.5 HD2 - The Wolf (currently playing Country Christmas Music) / HD3 - The Crossing (CCM)
100.3 HD2 - Sunny (Soft AC)
101.1 HD2 - RIFF2 / HD3 - Dave & Chuck
102.7 Two side channels, one is Air 1 and the other is K-Love Classics; I forget which is which
103.5 HD2 - WCHB-AM / HD3 - WRDT-AM
104.3 HD2 - Oldies 104.3 / HD3 - The Boulevard
105.9 HD2 - Praise Network (not sure if HD3 is gone, I couldn't get it in the last time I was in the area and I can't get them at all where I live)
106.7 HD2 - Wild (Rhythmic CHR) (HD3 was broadcasting dead air last time I got them in; used to be Oldies)

95.5, 97.9, 105.1 and 107.5 are currently broadcasting HD1 only with no side channels.

89.1 WEMU and 101.9 WDET have not had HD service for some time. WEMU's HD operates intermittently. WDET has not been in HD in years.
Does WLEN still run HD? When I lived in Ypsilanti, their HD signal would occasionally come in.
Last I checked, yes. Their HD2 feeds the 96.5 translator which is just a delayed simulcast of the analog and HD1. Apparently they've increased 96.5's power (it used to barely get out of Adrian, but a friend of mine in the Toledo area has been picking them up quite a bit lately) which may mean a new format on 103.9 HD2/96.5 soon.


Voting Blue: The Best Way to Remove Stubborn Orange Stains.

ChrisWL1980
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:36 am

Re: HD 2 and 3 stations

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:18 pm

SolarMax wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:51 am
n8fnr wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:24 pm
So what is the point of the HD simulcast if they play the same thing on both channels?
You know, since it's Digital, it's better (or potentially so). :P
Possible also that in some situations the HD version might be less susceptible to background noise than the analog channel.

" F. M. - No Static at All "- Steely Dan
HD on a talk station like WUOM is next to completely pointless if you ask me. (The HD on their simulcast WFUM in Flint has been out for some time, while WVGR in Grand Rapids is, like WUOM, HD1 only with no side channels.) At least WRCJ has a music format.

IMO WRCJ should add an HD2 which would air classical programming (like Classical 24) while the analog/HD1 is airing jazz, and vice versa.


Voting Blue: The Best Way to Remove Stubborn Orange Stains.

ChrisWL1980
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:36 am

Re: HD 2 and 3 stations

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:37 pm

windsor wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:52 pm
You would think a station would do an opposite format to take away from the competition.

Ex WOMC would do a Metal type jukebox type or even a Big Band era format something not being done.Im sure you could sell some ad time even if its this hour of music brought to you by...…..blah blah company.

Terrestrial is missing boat on this in the metro.
With a few exceptions, like V98.7 HD2 and Sunny on 100.3 HD2, HD2/HD3 in Detroit offers more of the same garbage you can already hear on analog/HD1. The original idea behind HD Radio was to use the side channels to offer something different that wasn't available elsewhere. Now we have 92.3 HD2 playing classic hip-hop you can already hear on three other stations, 106.7 HD2 playing Rhythmic CHR you can already hear on three other stations, 99.5 HD2 playing (outside of the holiday season) the same bro-country and boyfriend-country the analog/HD1 plays, and so on.

I'd love to see an Adult Standards/Nostalgia format offered somewhere a la the old 580 Memories CKWW; Sunny on 100.3 HD2 is the closest thing for now (discounting Christmas Music which is essentially Standards/Nostalgia anyway). A Rhythmic Oldies/Rhythmic AC option is also lacking since 95.5 HD2 Feel Tha Funk and 97.9 HD2 Funkytown vanished. Also, a Christian Rock/CHR like Toledo's Yes FM (which once tried to court Detroit listeners via its online stream; not sure if they still do), since 99.5 HD3 is just more bland Christian AC a la K-Love/Smile FM.


Voting Blue: The Best Way to Remove Stubborn Orange Stains.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic