Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Who's high?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Who's high?

Post by TC Talks » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:02 pm

John Sinclair, the first resident to purchase the weed legally in Michigan.

Who's in?

$221,000 in opening day sales.
https://www.freep.com/story/news/mariju ... 346426002/

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Deleted User 24

Re: Who's high?

Post by Deleted User 24 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:05 pm

Fitting.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:41 pm

Not me...I smoked some pot in my youth
but now I'm all grown up and subject to random drug tests as a school bus driver.

I no longer directly engage trolls

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:54 pm

Who's ready for Chanuka?

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:02 pm

Who's ready to bitch about the tax revenue recreational sales generate?
(Which if other state's that have legalized is any indication, should be substantial)

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:05 pm

How's Florida, the likely 4th to last state to legalize?

― Noam Chomsky

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:50 pm

I don't do drugs or alcohol, plus I want to keep all of my brain cells.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:01 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:02 pm

John Sinclair, the first resident to purchase the weed legally in Michigan.

Who's in?

$221,000 in opening day sales.
https://www.freep.com/story/news/mariju ... 346426002/
Mlive has a marijuana beat reporter named Gus Burns. I wonder how he got the job. Too bad there isn't a Gus Knowshowtobeaproperjournalist, although I'm not sure mlive would hire that individual. At any rate, on Monday there was an article estimating that there were $300,000 in sales between the three area shops but the article mentioned that actual figures would be available later in the afternoon. When the $221,000 number was released, the article was updated to include the amount, but they didn't delete the $300,000 estimate. Moral of the story: mlive is hot garbage.

On a related note, I hope that people observe the law and don't openly smoke marijuana. The smell is abhorrent. I did drive by the two shops within the City of Ann Arbor on Sunday and saw extremely long lines. I can't believe that people had that much free time on their hands that they could spend 2-3 hours on a cold, shitty day standing in line. It's not like they couldn't get the shit somewhere else. It reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Homer is daydreaming about the land of chocolate. Everything is made of chocolate, and he takes random bites, until he sees a chocolate shop with chocolates half off. He goes in and buys chocolate, despite the fact that it was more than readily available.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:04 am

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:02 pm

I sat next to this asshole at a Stooges show - Good times, I moshed on stage with IGGY and met the Ashetons.

Even the Stooges thought that John was a moron... White Panthers?

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:41 am

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:02 pm
(Which if other state's that have legalized is any indication, should be substantial)
Let's see how far this goes before it collapses... Oregon right now, $50/ounce with ALL TAXES paid by the retailer. There is currently a 5 to 6 year supply of weed in Oregon.

Most operations will not be able to survive. The weed market will go underground, and taxation will be minimal.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:58 am

The weed market is already Underground, it will take some time for retail to adjust. It isn't exactly accurate to compare Oregon and California to Michigan have they both have extremely vibrant existing black market infrastructure. Michigan is dry in many parts of the state. We also have the advantage of being the first in the Midwest.

My kid works for Norml, they are tracking this very closely and have made projections on total sales. Dispensaries should do well.

― Noam Chomsky

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:33 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:58 am
The weed market is already Underground, it will take some time for retail to adjust. It isn't exactly accurate to compare Oregon and California to Michigan have they both have extremely vibrant existing black market infrastructure. Michigan is dry in many parts of the state. We also have the advantage of being the first in the Midwest.

My kid works for Norml, they are tracking this very closely and have made projections on total sales. Dispensaries should do well.
I have been telling people since the '70's that Normal was preventing the legalization of cannabis... Jack Herer indeed :). One look at that crowd, would make rational people recoil. The math here isn't that hard, there is a umol requirement for the plants in term of lighting. The lights create a need for A/C, etc..
$50 an ounce won't cover burden. The building that I work in, was a weed farm, there is 2000 amps of three phase coming in, and three commercial A/C units just in the bay where I am.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:57 pm

FET-500 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:41 am
Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:02 pm
Let's see how far this goes before it collapses... Oregon right now, $50/ounce with ALL TAXES paid by the retailer. There is currently a 5 to 6 year supply of weed in Oregon.

Most operations will not be able to survive. The weed market will go underground, and taxation will be minimal.
Listen sweetie, you've picked perhaps the worst person you could have around this fine establishment to purport acting as-though you have any unique insight to Oregon's marijuana initiatives.

I live in Portland part-time, I was there the day prohibition ended, I am a regular customer at dispensaries, I own an equity position in a number of cannabis producing companies and I have friends that are in the business. I know what the fuck I'm talking about. Period.

That said, yes, like any emerging market, supply & demand dynamics, distribution, and retail pricing have yet to resolve an optimal equilibrium. Seems to me General Motors didn't evolve into an efficient, streamline organization in five years. Should that be the standard of what is considered an industry success? That Tucker, Auburn, Duesenberg, Studebaker and a dozen other manufacturers went out of business mean building automobiles is a doomed enterprise?

Fact: Oregon tax revenues from marijuana sales for FY 2019 (ending June 30) were over $102M, up some 22% over FY 2018 (which was the point I was making in my post)

As for the black market takeover I can only relate this incident that happened to me. I had purchased a vape cartridge prior to the news that some ingredients may harmful. Within days of the findings I received an email from the dispensary informing me that the products they sell had been tested and none were found to contain the chemicals in question. That's what happens when people purchase products from responsible retailers and not cab drivers and guys hanging out in a tavern. Will the black market go away? Probably not any sooner than will bookies or shifty payday lenders but does that mean responsible consumers shouldn't have the choice not to use that service over one that's safe and regulated?

You're well within your rights to believe what you wish, but after reading this don't ever claim you were not informed of first hand factual information.
Last edited by Lester The Nightfly on Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:28 pm

What's wrong with you?

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:26 pm

audiophile wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:28 pm
What's wrong with you?
By that do you mean: "Why don't you live like I do" ?

― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic