Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

For all you idiots shaming stores and shoppers today

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Deleted User 14896

Re: For all you idiots shaming stores and shoppers today

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:25 am

lovinlife101 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:35 am
It’s none of your business if a store is open today, whether people choose to work, and whether people shop today.

IT’S NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!!!!

Nobody is being forced to be open, close, shop, or have sex!
I agree with you, in so much that if someone is open, why should others close?
Would the same folks who complain that Target and Kohls are open, also complain if the Kroger or Speedway wasn't?
Last edited by Deleted User 14896 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:18 am

I worked yesterday, voluntarily.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:49 am

lovinlife101 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:10 am
audiophile wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:18 am
And there you have it.

Anyone who wants to work or doesn’t want to work has that right.
I'm not challenging that assertion because I don't know U.S. employment law.

Do workers have the right to refuse to work on Thanksgiving Day? Is there legal protection from reprisal, under the law?

Just curious.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:23 am

I don't have a choice, today is a regularly scheduled work day for me. I work 3-11, so I will be heading in, in a few hours. The day after a holiday, is a Pain because the flow of everything gets messed up. Then on Friday, 1st shift always leaves us with a mess. At least I don't work 3rds anymore, that meant going in a holiday night and that really sucked ass.

I stay far far away from the stores on peak holiday shopping days, I don't like crowds. To deal with it, I'd have to take a Xanax prior to going. If people wanna shop, I could care less. I'm honestly not a fan of holidays whatsoever so its nothing to me.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:11 pm

You must work if you are scheduled if you want your job. That is what it boils down to. You can always ask for a holiday off, but even then there is no guarantee. I usually have decent success with that. Money is nice but I don't really care about holiday pay or time and a half. It's just not worth the headache and craziness. Rather be home with family on holidays. You only live once. I think non essential places of business should be closed on Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. Any holiday work aside from emergency services should be on a voluntary basis. Some places choose to close early while others are open all day. Just let people be with their families. That will go a long way for employees morale.
Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:49 am
lovinlife101 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:10 am
audiophile wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:18 am
And there you have it.

Anyone who wants to work or doesn’t want to work has that right.
I'm not challenging that assertion because I don't know U.S. employment law.

Do workers have the right to refuse to work on Thanksgiving Day? Is there legal protection from reprisal, under the law?

Just curious.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:54 pm

TheForce wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:11 pm
You must work if you are scheduled if you want your job. That is what it boils down to. You can always ask for a holiday off, but even then there is no guarantee. I usually have decent success with that. Money is nice but I don't really care about holiday pay or time and a half. It's just not worth the headache and craziness. Rather be home with family on holidays. You only live once. I think non essential places of business should be closed on Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. Any holiday work aside from emergency services should be on a voluntary basis. Some places choose to close early while others are open all day. Just let people be with their families. That will go a long way for employees morale.
Here in Ontario, most workers get the day off for designated holidays The ones with the greatest guarantee of the day off are retail workers. Stores aren't permitted to open.

Workers in a workplace with continuous operation, like a steel mill or a nursing home have to work if their regular shift falls on that day. But the employer must pay at least time and one half and must give the employee a shift off with pay within ten days either side of the holiday.

Where the workers are Unionized the Union always bargains for a higher premium rate than time and one half for work on the holiday. Double time or triple time are more common.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:28 pm

It's completely the opposite here. It's sad that corporate greed takes people away from their families on such holidays. Kinda sad really.
Here in Ontario, most workers get the day off for designated holidays The ones with the greatest guarantee of the day off are retail workers. Stores aren't permitted to open.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:34 pm

There's a fast food restaurant chain we like in Florida called Chic-Fil-A. The owners run it on Christian principles and they are closed every Sunday. I'm not religious in any sense of the word. I'm the opposite of religious. But I think it's great they give their employees Sunday off, either for worship or just to be with their families.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:48 pm

Hobby Lobby is also closed on Sundays. It is rather nice they do that for the reasons you stated.
Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:34 pm
There's a fast food restaurant chain we like in Florida called Chic-Fil-A. The owners run it on Christian principles and they are closed every Sunday. I'm not religious in any sense of the word. I'm the opposite of religious. But I think it's great they give their employees Sunday off, either for worship or just to be with their families.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:54 pm

I went to Meijer Thursday night and didn't even think twice.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:48 am

Such protection only extends to religious holidays.

I did not shop Thursday, and I even didn't shop yesterday. (I never go shopping during the early morning of Black Friday but will often go in the midday, afternoon or early evening after things have died down.)

While my gut reaction is to dislike stores remaining open on Thanksgiving Day, many employees do earn extra pay for working on a major holiday.

I will say the advent of extended store hours on the days surrounding Black Friday has made Black Friday itself much less of a circus than it once was. That's a good thing, IMO.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:57 am

In protest, I will not go to stores on the holidays aforementioned. As long as people keep going they will continue to remain open or have extended hours. Plus I believe stores should be closed so people can spend time with family and not miss out on festivities. Been there, done that, it is NOT fun. Sure the extra money is nice but I don't really care as it's not worth the headache dealing with extra BS from people. Holiday work should be on a volunteer basis so that those who wish to be with family can and those who want the extra cash can do so.
While my gut reaction is to dislike stores remaining open on Thanksgiving Day, many employees do earn extra pay for working on a major holiday.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic