Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The Blarney Stone Broadcasting Legacy

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
In the biz

Re: The Blarney Stone Broadcasting Legacy

Post by In the biz » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:14 pm

Blarney Stone’s new stations sound like a bad version of KHQ or Z93. How they expect to pay for this when they couldn’t pay Roy is beyond me. Why John Yob would enter into an agreement is mind blowing!

Milk

Post by Milk » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:38 pm

I have to wonder if Yob was making anything off of WJML is beyond me. Hell, they no longer have a real website!

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:23 pm

Not too fond of that Terri Ray chick. And where the hell is Leetsville? Overall I'm not really impressed with KLT in general.

kager

Post by kager » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:18 pm

where the hell is Leetsville?
'tuckied in 'tween Mancelona and Kalkaska on 131

Or, as TT would put it...

Leetsville is 1116.6 miles from Niceville

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:24 am

The Leetsville Cafe was their lunchtime show when I was working in the region, mid 1980s.

Terri Ray was there then, and apparently continues now.

Old habits are hard to break, and in time, may become hard to like.

Milk

Post by Milk » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:05 pm

Leetsville, IIRC is where the now-closed Save-A-Lot is.

kager

Post by kager » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:59 am

Trophyhead wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:24 am
Old habits are hard to break, and in time, may become hard to like.
Consistency: an allegiance to a past that no longer cares.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:22 am

I see all references to 99.3 have been quietly removed from the Q100 home page with no explanation from the radio station. Shows how much they value their Grand Traverse region listeners! :lol

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:19 am

I live in Grayling and I do not listen to Q100 at all. That in itself says something!

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:15 pm

Why is that again? You told us once before but it was along time ago.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:22 pm

I think he doesn't listen because he doesn't like hearing an endless parade of hippie rock stiffs. :)

Can't say I blame him!

I've tried to like Q100. I've even complimented the station on prior occasions. However, for my own personal tastes, the playlist is waaaaaaaay out there.

WQON makes stations such as 107One in Ann Arbor and The Q in Grand Rapids sound mainstream by comparison.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:30 am

The playlist is a big part of why I don't listen. It is indeed way out there. Most of the time I'm not in the mood to listen to obscure titles. I find radio more enjoyable hearing the songs I like and familiar with. And I really don't like their (I'll use MW's term) stationality. Everything is pretty much pre-record and if there is severe weather, not a peep out of them for it.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:38 am

I'm the same way. I don't usually like obsure stuff.

The second thing that I noticed is the you could drive a train through segs.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:34 pm

Many Classic Classic Rock tracks (circa 1970s) are a legend in listeners' minds. They ask me how high they charted and I say it didn't, or #96 Hot 100, or it was just an album track, or B side. They say "that was a hit, man".

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:42 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:34 pm
Many Classic Classic Rock tracks (circa 1970s) are a legend in listeners' minds. They ask me how high they charted and I say it didn't, or #96 Hot 100, or it was just an album track, or B side. They say "that was a hit, man".
Classic rock has it's own rules for what is in their playlists, evidently. Another issue with CR playlists are how burned out the "hits" truly are. It's hard to say that CR songs aren't "hits" but many did not chart well, or at all, as far as Hot100 is concerned. That is simply because H100 only rated SINGLES that were released to retail. Led Zepp's "Stairway to Heaven" was never released as a single in the US, for example, and never charted. That never stopped it from being heard six times a day or more.

Most CR stations seem content to simply air a slim playlist of "hits" that, frankly, I don't know how anyone can listen to pretty much incessantly at this point in time. I also see that, rather than going deeper into their artist's catalog, they add later songs which may actually offend most old-school AOR listeners which make up their core audience. 90's grunge, for example.

I think it's a shame radio has been reduced to the 300-song playlists we hear in all formats now, but stations are now programmed to appeal to advertisers rather than listeners.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic