Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Walmart Violating Rights of Shoppers

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Turkeytop

Walmart Violating Rights of Shoppers

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:13 pm

'Treated as a criminal': Walmart receipt and bag checks anger customers. Your rights explained

An apparent step-up of receipt and shopping bag checks at Walmart has sparked customer complaints, raising concerns about shoppers' rights.

"It was not a request, it was a demand," said Penny Rintoul of Vaughan, Ont., about a recent receipt check just before she exited Walmart with her purchases. She said her local Walmart increased its checks in the spring.

"It's very angering and demeaning."

The Canadian Civil Liberties Association (CCLA) said it's investigating the practice of retailers doing routine security checks at the exit, concerned that the way they're conducted may jeopardize customers' rights.

Michael Bryant, CCLA's executive director and general counsel, said retailers should get consent before checking receipts or bags. And if no consent is provided, he said, customers are under no obligation to comply.

"Their right is to say, 'Thanks, but no thanks,' and walk away," said Bryant.

"Some people feel strongly about their privacy and, in fact, the way our laws work, that privacy and liberty is protected."

In a 2016 ruling on a case involving a suspected shoplifter, an Ontario Superior Court judge wrote that a retailer can detain a suspect if there are reasonable grounds, but — even then — it would have to get consent to do a search.

Walmart didn't directly address questions from CBC News about customers' rights including what happens if shoppers refuse receipt checks. The retail giant also didn't say if it has stepped up its security checks.

"To assist in our efforts to manage costs and offer everyday low prices, customers may be asked to show their receipts as they exit our store to ensure the checkout process went smoothly," said Walmart Canada spokesperson Adam Grachnik in an email.

CBC News interviewed several customers who said they weren't "asked," and instead felt pressured to comply.

Paula Fletcher of Renfrew County, Ont., said that in August, a Walmart employee watched as she scanned her groceries at self-checkout, and then insisted on inspecting her receipt and shopping bag.

"She did not make it an option," said Fletcher.

"I don't like being treated as a criminal," she said. "If they don't trust us, they shouldn't have self-checkout."

Walmart's recent addition of self-checkout machines appears to be a driving force behind receipt checks. In response to customer complaints on social media, the retailer has replied repeatedly that it's doing the checks to ensure the self-checkout process "went smoothly" and that all items have been scanned.

Studies suggest that stores adding self-checkouts can experience more theft because thieves believe the risk of getting caught not scanning items is low.

Amy Fraser of Sydney Mines, N.S., said she has experienced frequent receipt and occasional shopping bag inspections in the past five months at Walmart, both after using self-checkout and checking out with a cashier.

She said she reached her limit last month when a Walmart employee demanded to check her receipt, just as she prepared to feed her baby before exiting.

"He's like pouncing, 'You have your receipt?'" said Fraser. "I just [felt] like walking out and being like, 'No, no, call the cops on me.'"

So what happens if a retailer calls the cops? Toronto security consultant James Reese said a retailer needs to have evidence of theft for police to take action.

"If they did not see you take something, they cannot come after you just for refusing to show your bags or receipt," he said.

In the 2016 case involving the suspected shoplifter, the judge also wrote that "if a store owner is mistaken and no theft has occurred, their detention of a customer makes them liable for … false imprisonment."

However, shoppers rejecting receipt checks do risk being banned from the store, said Reese.

"That's within the merchant's prerogative."
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstor ... 191113_6_2

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

craig11152

Re: Walmart Violating Rights of Shoppers

Post by craig11152 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:35 am

I'm a Costco regular along with millions of others. We go through a checkout line then hand our receipt to a "checker" at the door before we leave the store who I presume compares the printout to what's in the cart. It's never occurred to me to be offended. But then I'm not a thief. Only potential shop lifters are offended because it makes it harder to steal.

I no longer directly engage trolls

kager

Post by kager » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:59 am

Customs & rights vary from country-country, and while a loss-prevention scan on the way out isn't offensive to me, I suppose it could be to others.

I mean, big-box stores and clubs could design their outbound post-checkout areas so that there were fewer possibilities to purchase or lift something else on the way out, but that would probably affect customer convenience or corporate greed sensibilities as well.

Considering the source, tho, I'd guess the story could be slow- or non-news-day material.

Always an axe to grind somewhere...

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:58 am

craig11152 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:35 am
I'm a Costco regular along with millions of others. We go through a checkout line then hand our receipt to a "checker" at the door before we leave the store who I presume compares the printout to what's in the cart. It's never occurred to me to be offended. But then I'm not a thief. Only potential shop lifters are offended because it makes it harder to steal.
When you signed up for COSTCO you agreed to those terms

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:08 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:58 am
craig11152 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:35 am
When you signed up for COSTCO you agreed to those terms
I probably did and didn't even know it. Which is sort of my point. I'm not bothered by it, I'm not bothered by the security guard at Kroger mostly watching the self checkout

I no longer directly engage trolls

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:20 am

I've occasionally had a greeter check my receipt on the way out of Walmart, but it's usually reserved for big-ticket items (i.e. a TV or computer hardware). Never had to show a receipt for common items nor has an associate ever requested to look into a bag.

That being said, what most shoppers don't realize is that they are on-camera from the moment they enter the parking lot to the moment they leave. This makes it easier for Security to spot a shoplift incident and alert associates to potential theft. Some might say it's an invasion of their personal privacy. Then again, you're on Walmart's property and they have a right to survey every inch of their property, just as I have a right to install security cameras in my house if I so choose. The sign at the entrance that says "Security Cameras in Use" implies the shopper's consent to video surveillance while they shop. It's very possible that the people getting bag checks may have exhibited suspicious activity that's caught on-camera before they ever reach the exit.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:39 am

At a Home Depot in Florida a guy stopped me on the way out and demanded to see my receipt. I've never gone back to that Home Depot.

kc8yqq

Post by kc8yqq » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:02 pm

I believe in mutual trust between the store and customer. I'm going to trust they are selling me good product(s) and they should trust me to pay for it. I am not a thief and have returned to the store to pay for something the cashier did not ring up, gave me too much change (even for a penny), and double credited me on a bottle return refund.

When grocery shopping I bring my own reusable grocery bags. Dave's Market in Warren had a sign on their door about leaving bags at the service desk. I have been in that store several times without having to do so. One time I was stopped and asked to leave my bags...I refused mentioning I been in there before without having to. I gave them the choice to trust me or someone can follow me around the store and I was going to spend nearly $200 there. They refused and I left never to return again. And, yes, I did go elsewhere and spent that amount.

Also, I'm in my 50's and not a teenager. Their loss, not mine.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:35 pm

I went to Canadian Tire once to buy a new bike. My intention was to ride it home. New bikes always need adjustments, so I took along a bag with a few tools in it.

The bike I wanted was up on the top rack and I asked the woman to get it for me. "You'll have to check your bag." She said. I opened up the bag and checked it. Looked OK to me. "You have to leave your bag at the front desk." she told me.

I told her if I had to walk back to the front of the store I'd keep right on walking and get a bike from Walmart. I wouldn't really have bought from Walmart, but I'm not above invoking their name as a threat.

She called the manager. After a whispered conversation with her, the manager told me to go and wait at the checkout and they would bring the bicycle to me.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:10 pm

One day I was walking around Frandor Shopping Center in Lansing when it still had a semi-enclosed walkway. Left a bookstore and noticed a guy following me from there to another store. I was parked down a way, so I continued through the walkway to the parking lot. The dude followed me into the lot and practically to my car before turning back. Found out later that Frandor had plain-clothes security guards who routinely tailed "suspicious" shoppers (what I was doing to raise suspicion, I have no idea). It was a creepy experience to say the least.

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

zzand

Post by zzand » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:28 pm

Shopped at Walmart yesterday, on my way out, gave my receipt to the checker, she scanned it, checked the 12 pack of Diet Coke in the cart, smiled and said have a nice day.....Damn, what the hell are people bitching about? Everyone is offended by everything these days. Just fucking stay home, shop by app and have it delivered and you never have to encounter the human race.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:35 pm

If someone buys a week's worth of groceries for a full household at Walmart (say, $200 worth)...does Walmart literally check each & every item on the damn receipt?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:29 pm

zzand wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:28 pm
.Damn, what the hell are people bitching about? Everyone is offended by everything these days.
It offends innocent people to be treated as suspects.

zzand

Post by zzand » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:49 pm

No Metalhead, they check things that aren't bagged like Soda, beer Kitty litter and of course big ticket items. Take maybe 5 or 10 seconds like at Sam's Club or Costco. No rights being infringed upon, they have the right to make sure that shoplifting isn't happening and if you not tried to steal something then there is no reason to cause a stink, they scan, check the items out of bags or big things, takes seconds and you are on your way.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:37 am

zzand wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:49 pm
No Metalhead, they check things that aren't bagged like Soda, beer Kitty litter and of course big ticket items. Take maybe 5 or 10 seconds like at Sam's Club or Costco. No rights being infringed upon, they have the right to make sure that shoplifting isn't happening and if you not tried to steal something then there is no reason to cause a stink, they scan, check the items out of bags or big things, takes seconds and you are on your way.
True. Sam's Club checks items on the way out because they aren't bagged. When I used to shop there the greeter would ask for my receipt, quickly eye the items in my cart, check the receipt with a marker, and that was that. Costco does the same thing.

There have been many stories about people who have attempted to shoplift big-ticket items such as computers and TV's from retail stores, as these items obviously can't be bagged. They'll place the item in the cart, walk around the store for a bit, and head for the exit when they think nobody's looking. Many are caught, but many thefts aren't detected until the store takes inventory and comes up short. Hence the reason why stores have wall-to-wall video surveillance and recording. They can go back through the footage and attempt to identify potential thieves after the fact. Parking lots are also covered by video cameras so plate numbers can be identified if need be. The advent of electronic anti-theft tags and store entrance sensors has made it more difficult to steal such items, but some thieves have discovered ways to even defeat those systems. There is no way to prevent theft 100%, but stores have to minimize it as best they can.

Theft drives prices upward, and honest shoppers are left to foot the bill for stolen items. I understand that some store employees can be rude in the way they handle security checks, and such instances should certainly be addressed. Security checks can be conducted in ways that are both efficient and respectful to the customer. It doesn't change the fact that stores need to minimize theft as best they can for the sake of the rest of us who actually pay for our stuff. We can pay the price of an occasional security check, or we can pay higher prices out-of-pocket in the long run. Our choice. Either way we pay a price.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic