Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Virus Stops Toledo Station’s Ability to Run Video

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
SixPlusOne

Virus Stops Toledo Station’s Ability to Run Video

Post by SixPlusOne » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:02 pm

Courtesy: Toledo Blade

WTVG Works Around Issues After Virus Infects Computers

https://www.toledoblade.com/a-e/tv-radi ... 0191111172

Turkeytop

Re: Virus Stops Toledo Station’s Ability to Run Video

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:34 pm

A pop up prevents me from opening the link.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:03 am

What ever happened to having an analog or tape-based back-up? It would be like a radio station that couldn't play CDs or LPs because their automation went down and they couldn't run a board and play the audio, like the good old days? 13's automation is not good- a real person to be the board op and have one person to operate the remote cameras would work better than all the missed spots and cameras too long on talent who aren't even talking- poor Diane has to smile while Lee does a story because the cameras don't switch when they should.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:06 pm

WOHO wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:03 am
What ever happened to having an analog or tape-based back-up? It would be like a radio station that couldn't play CDs or LPs because their automation went down and they couldn't run a board and play the audio, like the good old days? 13's automation is not good- a real person to be the board op and have one person to operate the remote cameras would work better than all the missed spots and cameras too long on talent who aren't even talking- poor Diane has to smile while Lee does a story because the cameras don't switch when they should.
There's no "analog or tape-based backup" because most stations no longer have have any of that equipment at their facilities. Old gear requires maintenance and care, plus higher power consumption and HVAC demands (analog stuff gets hot), and, just try buying magnetic tape stock anywhere. Plus, there's no such thing as analog HD tape, and once-popular HD tape formats are mostly obsolete and unavailable. An operator would be needed to maintain and load any kind of back-up media, and whatever control room staff is still left would have to know how to activate and use it, which just will not happen anymore. Daily flubs in local studio origination, even with production automation assist, are often due to operator error and lack of training (non-video people operating video gear, a staffing issue), plus the occasional software or hardware glitch. Commercials are typically run from Master Control, not the production studio control room. MCR automation is separate software and hardware, usually on auto-pilot, driven by Traffic dept. generated playlists, and nowadays often run out of a hub facility, not locally, Many non-virus ways for that to go off the rails.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:31 pm

WOHO wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:03 am
What ever happened to having an analog or tape-based back-up? It would be like a radio station that couldn't play CDs or LPs because their automation went down and they couldn't run a board and play the audio, like the good old days?
That could also be like Cumulus purchasing a battery power backup or their own on-site generator. You know the power is gone, when half of the FM stations go out, as they always do. Yet Cumulus rents a generator, then schleps it from the rental company. Very professional! Large companies make the stupidest decisions.

Also, a parallel network on standby could be used and switched to. If it's good enough for the networks, it should be good enough for 13abc.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:08 pm

TeddyBear wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:31 pm

Also, a parallel network on standby could be used and switched to. If it's good enough for the networks, it should be good enough for 13abc.
At many stations, playout systems are configured with a "mirror" server running in parallel with the primary playback server, in case of failure of drives or controller.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:54 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:34 pm
A pop up prevents me from opening the link.
Things like that disgust me -- either buy a subscription I'll never use beyond that one article, or allow crappy "one weird trick" ads with the possible risk that they may be infected with a virus.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:25 am

SolarMax wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:08 pm
TeddyBear wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:31 pm

At many stations, playout systems are configured with a "mirror" server running in parallel with the primary playback server, in case of failure of drives or controller.
Exactly my point. WTVG does not have this parallel server or network. "Standard practices" should always be implemented. Cumulus and Grey Media included. Charlie Sell, now's your time to shine. I think management may hear you now.

Editing bay servers should also be parallel. Really, since it is a public responsiblity, all PC's, networks and servers should be paralleled or mirrored. It helps to keep the license, if not make life allot more tolerable.

HD74

Post by HD74 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:26 pm

Apparently this only affected their news product.
By reading the article, I see they use SD cards for ingest.
SD card players are out there, you just have to swap the cards as you go through the news, like dropping tapes during the newscast in the old days.
These players are used by many stations, as servers or anything else are never 100% reliable.
I would not approach a high dollar event like the Superbowl without a spot reel made up ahead of time, just in case.
$$$$$$$ flushing and gnashing of teeth would ensue....

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic