Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

A CBS News anchor shake-up could be in the works

A place to discuss national and regional television and radio programming.
bmw

Re: A CBS News anchor shake-up could be in the works

Post by bmw » Sun May 26, 2019 10:24 pm

Scott Pelley claims to CNN that he was let go from the anchor chair because he wouldn't stop complaining internally about a hostile work environment within the CBS News division.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:49 pm

I guess Norah O'Donnell starts her stint with the CBS Evening News tonight, July 15th.

CBS Evening News' Gets a Revamp: Norah O'Donnell Talks Her New Anchor Gig

https://www.tvinsider.com/793734/norah- ... ws-anchor/

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:32 pm

I haven't watch the CBS Evening News in a while but the graphics package looks fairly new.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:43 pm

TheForce wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:32 pm
I haven't watch the CBS Evening News in a while but the graphics package looks fairly new.
Yup, it appears they did do a refresh of the graphics. The set also seems to have been tweaked. Very clean look. BTW - I thought O'Donnell did a good job in her debut in the 'big chair'. Hopefully she can lose the stank of being a morning show host and grow into the role of a serious anchor/journalist.

[EDIT: I just noticed, it looks like they lifted the graphics used on their streaming news service CBSN for use on the Evening News]

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:54 pm

Just watched the first half of the newscast for the first time since the personnel change. They have taken a HARD TURN to the left. The news coverage of Trump tonight wasn't even remotely unbiased or balanced. I almost felt like I was watching CNN.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:06 am

I agree. The substance of the newscast has diminished and it is now filled with an element of left-slanted sensationalism.

Ratings have NOT been friendly to CBS since O'Donnell's arrival:
https://nypost.com/2019/10/20/cbs-ancho ... -freefall/

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:59 am

Thanks for that link - interesting article. What I gather from it is that the people at the top at CBS are either utterly clueless as to why their ratings are falling OR they're in a state of denial and don't want to admit to their incompetence in how they've handled their news division in recent years.

It is almost like they're trying to out-do ABC and NBC in just how much they can sensationalize the news. Apparently Pelley and Glor weren't sensationalizing it enough.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:39 pm

Interesting article. I want to add that I think the "evening news" on network television is no longer relevant. There are just so many other sources for news and the like. Nearly everyone has a smart phone or the internet. Personally I think the major networks just need to drop the evening news. This would give local stations the option to extend the local newscasts.

JackAttack FM

Post by JackAttack FM » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:45 pm

TheForce wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:39 pm
Interesting article. I want to add that I think the "evening news" on network television is no longer relevant. There are just so many other sources for news and the like. Nearly everyone has a smart phone or the internet. Personally I think the major networks just need to drop the evening news. This would give local stations the option to extend the local newscasts.
The three network evening newscasts combined generate about half a billion dollars in ad revenue annually. Which has been on the rise since 2011.
Any other thoughts?

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:01 am

Walter Cronkite had the anchor chair at CBS for nearly 20 years. Dan Rather occupied it for 23 years. Chet Huntley, John Chancellor, David Brinkley, Tom Brokaw, Peter Jennings, Robert McNeil and Jim Lehrer all enjoyed long tenures at their respective posts, making the anchor desk something of a heritage. Judy Woodruff is probably the longest-lasting anchor in recent years, having assumed anchor duties for the PBS Newshour since Lehrer's retirement in 2011. Scott Pelley had a 6-year run as anchor at CBS, which seems like a long stretch these days. The desk itself has even become a dinosaur, with most anchors now standing in front of a green screen.

No doubt the internet has changed the information landscape and the methods by which people gather their news. It has also changed the definition of what is now considered news. What were previously local stories have the potential to go "viral" in a heartbeat, making them a national phenomenon when they're really not relevant outside their local area. The 24/7 cable channels are scrounging for anything they can get their hands to fill time, and the evening newscasts are following suit to compete. This differs from the days of Cronkite and Huntley/Brinkley when that 30-minute nightly window was all that existed. There was a concerted effort to deliver news that had true relevance to the national audience. Every story had to count. No time to cover the goofball in Niceville, Florida who lit his house on fire barbecuing brats in his living room. That would be a local story at best....certainly not national news. Uncle Walter had a full plate with more important stuff like Vietnam, the Civil Rights movement and Watergate, and the plate was only so big when compared to the all-you-can-eat buffet we have now.

Really, I think there is still only 30-60 minutes of relevant news to be reported in a day. We think there's more because there are more outlets than there were 40 years ago. News is now available 24/7 and on-demand. Question is, how much of it is truly relevant news, and how much of it is just filler to occupy those spare moments when we get to watch a little tube or peek at the phone?

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

HD74

Post by HD74 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:46 am

"No time to cover the goofball in Niceville, Florida who lit his house on fire barbecuing brats in his living room."

Niceville is 0 miles from Niceville.

Map please.

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:05 pm

Can't believe it's almost three years since this change.

Looks like another change might be coming up:

Norah O’Donnell Allegedly Headed For Departure From ‘CBS News’ Over $8M Salary, ‘Toxic Behavior,’ Network Insider Claims
https://yostrive.com/norah-odonnell-all ... 96ee8eef7d
"Sources say O’Donnell’s recent hesitance to report on the Russian invasion of Ukraine has put a target on her back. “She was called a ‘news actress,’ which motivated her to finally fly to the war zone,” an insider dishes." and ""

Is Norah O'Donnell Being Replaced As The Anchor Of CBS Evening News? (albeit that's from last fall)
https://www.thelist.com/642081/is-norah ... ning-news/

‘Toxic behavior’: Norah O’Donnell’s attitude under fire at ‘CBS Evening News’
https://linkingin.co/top-trends-nypost. ... ning-news/
" “It’s not a money maker,” a second source said, adding that O’Donnell’s “toxic behavior” is weighing the show down."
and ""The 48-year-old anchor’s “The Devil Wears Prada” routine includes a full “dress rehearsal” of the “Evening News” half an hour before the show airs — an often tense ritual that has seen O’Donnell chewing out dressing room stylists over her hair and makeup, sources said.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:02 am

Is it Nora's toxic behavior, or CBS' toxic behavior toward her?

kager

Post by kager » Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:33 am

I'd like ALL anchors - regardless of network - to stop offering quipped comments (theirs, or those of the network) following a story, ostensibly to add colour or opinion, or "feelings". Talking heads would be better to move on to the next story, and save their thoughts about matters for an interview (if someone cares enough to grant them one).

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:39 pm

Nora sucks as an evening news anchor, always has sucked as an evening news anchor, never should have been given the job in the first place (Jeff Glor did a terrific job), and yes, she needs to be fired or demoted ASAP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic