Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WHNE STA

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Splouge

WHNE STA

Post by Splouge » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:54 am

WHNE has been granted an STA to broadcast on VHF 3 at 6.5 kW, the STA expires April 16, 2020. There is also a pending application to broadcast at this power permanently on VHF 3.

Both the pending application and the STA will broadcast from the current TX in Oak Park at 483 ft and will give viewers who are between north of and west of the transmitter the best reception.

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

-Byron "The Broadcast Butcher" Allen

RingtailedFox

Re: WHNE STA

Post by RingtailedFox » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:56 am

It's a shame they couldn't get permission to use UHF 36... but they're probably way too short-spaced to Toledo's WMNT-CD (since i can actually get that one on my rooftop antenna)... that's the farthest LPTV station I can actually get on a regular basis...

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:55 pm

Splouge wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:54 am
WHNE has been granted an STA to broadcast on VHF 3 at 6.5 kW, the STA expires April 16, 2020. There is also a pending application to broadcast at this power permanently on VHF 3.
WHNE-LD

https://fccdata.org/?facid=&call=WHNE&c ... d=&lang=en

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:23 pm

Ignore that coverage area. Even with a bump in power from what was the LPTV limit on VHF, the Lo band is just awful for DTV.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:25 pm

I don't like the fact that they're giving up circular polarization for elliptical.

On VHF-low, indoor antenna users need as much vertical signal as they can get.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:25 pm

I don't like the fact that they're giving up circular polarization for elliptical.

On VHF-low, indoor antenna users need as much vertical signal as they can get.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:29 pm

disregard - duplicate post

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:05 am

With the noise level on the VHF low band, that is a disaster for HDTV. They should have just abandoned the VHF-Lo and gave it to the FM broadcast band, as even (VHF-High band) VHF 11 and VHF 13 are more difficult to receive that UHF 23, 29, etc.... with a much longer rod antenna required.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:56 pm

innate-in-you wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:29 pm
disregard - duplicate post
You know, the bbs gives you the ability to easily edit your own posts, and delete them, too. Just sayin' :)

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:39 pm

I'm going to be making an antenna to receive WHNE. It'll be outdoors, but on the patio as opposed to the roof. This is so I can troubleshoot problems easily and can avoid going on the roof just because of a loosened coax cable or something like that. Plus, the cable run would be shorter. And I want to install it myself, but I don't have the knowledge or courage to go on the roof.

I'm making an antenna instead of buying one for these reasons:
* It's fun
* I want it to be tuned specifically to 63 MHz, to minimize adjacent interference. But they don't make specifically tuned TV antennas like that.

But what I need to know is:
1. What's better?: Half wave dipole or folded dipole?
2. Since WHNE is going to do elliptical polarization, will I need a special design to recieve it?
3. What is the best design for directionality? WHNE is close to true north for me, but there's co channel WGGN to the southeast. What should I use?: Yagi, corner, sheet, screen, parabola, etc.?
4. Best material for the antenna elements?

I'm just trying to get the best signal possible without putting it on the roof. So I'll also be getting a 60-66 MHz filter (if they exist) and a pre amp (that one's a no brainer) Because with Low VHF DTV, you have to go above and beyond to compensate for the noise. Especially since I'm 12 miles south of the TX, which is almost in the directional null.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:30 pm

I would use a folded dipole for better bandwidth.

I would just use a horizontal polarization. Circular and Elliptical antennas are more difficult and tricky.

You could use one of the early designs for the folded dipole, with an aluminum tube and a heavy gauge wire connected at the ends to the tube. I'll scope out designs in the meantime.

Just orient the broadside of the antenna toward WHNE-LD.

If it works, don't worry about a preamp.

Twin Lead dipoles usually result in an antenna which tunes more sharply than you want for a 6 MHz or greater channel or range.

If you can find a plan for a 6 Meter Folded Dipole with the tubing and heavy gauge wire, you might be able to tune it for Channel 3 TV by adjusting the lengths and distances.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:53 pm

CK-722 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:30 pm
I would use a folded dipole for better bandwidth.

I would just use a horizontal polarization. Circular and Elliptical antennas are more difficult and tricky.

You could use one of the early designs for the folded dipole, with an aluminum tube and a heavy gauge wire connected at the ends to the tube. I'll scope out designs in the meantime.

Just orient the broadside of the antenna toward WHNE-LD.

If it works, don't worry about a preamp.

Twin Lead dipoles usually result in an antenna which tunes more sharply than you want for a 6 MHz or greater channel or range.

If you can find a plan for a 6 Meter Folded Dipole with the tubing and heavy gauge wire, you might be able to tune it for Channel 3 TV by adjusting the lengths and distances.
What about the directional elements? I'm trying to filter out a co channel station in the opposite direction 80 miles. E skip will certainly wreak havoc.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:28 am

Again, I would look at some ARRL publications for ideas.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:50 am

Here's one resource on the design of folded dipoles of one uniform diameter. I don't know if you could just use some type of conductive bracket on each end instead of bending tubing in a half circle, or if adjustments would need to be made to length calculations. To match the antenna from 300 to 75 ohms, a matching transformer (balun) would be used, as 300 ohm line is scarce locally, and expensive on the internet.

https://www.changpuak.ch/electronics/Dipole_folded.php

Usually, a reflector is about 5% longer and about 0.15-0.25 wavelength away, which also influences the pattern. There usually is a slight gain over a tuned dipole alone at the pattern maximum..

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:24 am

Keep in mind that an increase in height above the roof over ground floor level or even attic placement can have a dramatic increase in gain. 30 feet is still the FCC reference height.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic