Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Detroit Lions robbed

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
bmw

Detroit Lions robbed

Post by bmw » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:48 pm

Same penalty.
Twice.
Same player
Same blown call.
Same BS.

Ok, this one ranks right up there with Gallaraga being robbed of his no-hitter by Jim Joyce. Only difference is a lot more was on the line this time. The refs single-handedly moved Detroit from alone in first place to alone in last place in the division.

Seriously, how the hell do you blow that same call on the same player TWICE?

Lions fans ought to be livid over this. And don't give me that "field goals don't win games" nonsense. Detroit scored enough points to beat Green Bay. The refs gave Green Bay 10 free points.

fuzzpower

Re: Detroit Lions robbed

Post by fuzzpower » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:38 am

Even without the penalty, Crosby still could have kicked a field goal. It also doesn’t mean the Lions would have scored with the ball back. Stafford was his typical garbage self.

Play better, and this isn’t an issue.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:21 am

Totally predictable ending. Stafford with an underwhelming second half on the road at Lambeau. Receivers dropping passes on crucial plays. The outcome of the game hanging on officiating calls thanks to the Lions inability to maintain leads.

This team isn't that good. Did the refs screw them last night? Yes, absolutely. Am I livid over it? Absolutely not. Give me a break. This is the LIONS we're talking about.

At the end of the season, we'll likely be talking about a team that misses the playoffs by a half game or one and a half games and everyone will be talking about the Arizona debacle + this game. Typical Lions!!!

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:08 am

The first of the 2 bad calls against Flowers was the critical one - Detroit led by 9 and would have gotten off the field with a Rodgers sack. Detroit probably (not certainly, but probably) wins the game after that. So when the refs make a bad call that takes you from probably winning to maybe winning, and then ANOTHER call that takes you from maybe winning to definitely losing, you got robbed.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:35 am

I'm with bmw. Sure they could have finished with TD's instead of FG's, but the Lions did what they were supposed to. They stopped the Packers drive and should have had the ball back up by 9 with about 9 left, and the referees gave the Packers another chance on a missed call. That was the big one. Then, they actually called it again. And both times, it was the umpire calling it from BEHIND THE PLAY. Calling hands to the face when you can't see the guys face seems fair?

The blatant pass interference call that wasn't called, the unecessary roughness call that wasn't.....the Lions were robbed last night.

The censorship king from out of state.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:47 am

Tony Dungy tweeted: “I’m not saying officials cost Lions the game. I’m saying three wrong calls and one obvious missed call in one half is not acceptable. Doesn’t matter who wins the game.” Tony Dorsey tweeted: “Refs are playing too big a part in the fate of games, man.”

Jack Del Rio cited four blown calls in Lions-Packers and tweeted: “Refs can’t guess and can’t get these wrong. Lions would’ve won by 2 scores.”

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:54 am

lovinlife101 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:50 am
“Whaaaa! It’s not fair! It’s your fault! Whaaaaaa!”

You know where the whining is getting you today? NOWHERE!

Do you know where it will get you next week? NOWHERE!

Suck it up. Get over it. Stop blaming GM for all your plroblems. Get back to work. Put on a clean shirt. Sheesh.
I'm sure that's your opinion too when a bad cop gets acquitted in court, or not charged at all, correct?

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:58 am

I was yelling at the refs, "WHY DON'T YOU JUST HAND THEM THE GAME ON A FU-KING SILVER PLATTER AND STOP PLAYING THE GAME!"

I don't fu-king believe how the refs are determining the outcome of games! >:

As far as the Lions not scoring TDs and settling for FGs, those FGs were enough to win the game fercrissakes! "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!" You DON'T play to let overzealous incompetent refs determine the outcome! You play to let the players determine the outcome!

Would you SOLers say the same thing if the Tigers won 1-0 on a brilliant pitching performance? Would you say the Tigers should be scoring more runs? No, you wouldn't!

I am so disillusioned by the NFL right now I might be spending my Sundays working in the garden. Absolutely pathetic! >:

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:10 am

Exactly. What difference does it make if Detroit is up 35-27 or up 22-13? It is size of the lead that matters, not the number of points scored.

Those 5 field goals were equal to 2 TD's and a 2-pt conversion. Would 2 TD's, a 2-point conversion, and 3 no-scores somehow be better than 5 field goals? Of course not.

I would also point out that Detroit either led or the game was tied for 59 minutes and 59 seconds. By any measure, that is a rock-solid performance. Not their fault that refs can't tell a face from a shoulder.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:25 am

I didn't stay up to watch and haven't sought out any replays.
But in general I reject the argument that rather than blame the officials the team should just play better.
A team needs to play good enough to beat their opponent. They shouldn't have to also play good enough to overcome any number of bad calls. Even though that is "part of the game" fans have a right to bitch about it.

I no longer directly engage trolls

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:42 am

They gave up 450 yards of total offense to Green Bay. That normally isn't a performance worthy of a win.

Hilarious seeing some of you guys so bent out of shape over a go-nowhere, perennially doomed team.

The Lions have always been trash (in the modern era) and always will be.

That said, terrible officiating is indeed a gigantic issue league wide this year. Video replay review rules need to be changed, especially for fourth quarter plays.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:01 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:42 am
They gave up 450 yards of total offense to Green Bay. That normally isn't a performance worthy of a win.
Nor is a minus 3 turnover ratio, which Green Bay had. You seem focused on stats where Detroit didn't perform well instead of on the stats that mattered - namely, those of a 9-point lead in the 4th quarter at the precise time the officials made a bad call that didn't let Detroit get off the field.

Also worth noting is that they hadn't yet given up 450 yards of offense when the refs gave Green Bay their 35 extra yards for a TD.
Hilarious seeing some of you guys so bent out of shape over a go-nowhere, perennially doomed team.
That is so not the point. Regardless of how bad or good a team is, they all deserve equal treatment from the officials. And most Lions fan know that for at least the past 20 years, Detroit more often than not gets the short end of the officiating stick.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:19 pm

It is much more than that, MW. Lions got screwed, no doubt. But it's really the whole NFL that suffers. All anyone is talking about is the bad officiating. Aaron Rogers threw 2 unbelievably perfect passes in the fourth quarter, and they are not getting a mention. Probably not being shown on the highlights....i wouldn't know because i can't stomach turning on the TV. Point is, the respect for the NFL game is cheapened across the board. Everybody is still raw from the New Orleans fuck-job in the NFC championship game. This was a MNF game, not a game played at the same time as 6 others on a Sunday afternoon. Everybody saw it and knows what happened. In a few years (now in some states) when we will be gambling on sports legally from our phones, the uproar will be tenfold. Today it's mainly us sad Lie-Down fans that are pissed. But when millions of bettors are losing $$$ because of incompetent officiating, that's when it'll really hit the fan.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:23 pm

Perhaps the officials are trying to make a point.

Since they can swing the results of a game, shouldn't they be entitled to a 7 figure salary like some of the best players?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:41 pm

That is so not the point. Regardless of how bad or good a team is, they all deserve equal treatment from the officials. And most Lions fan know that for at least the past 20 years, Detroit more often than not gets the short end of the officiating stick.
If the bad calls had occurred in the first half, they would be receiving far less attention from all of you and the local & national media.

Did the refs cause the Lions to score only 1 TD in 11 offensive possessions?
Did the refs cause the Lions to have too many men on the field during a GB field goal attempt, thereby giving the Packers a first down?
Did the refs cause T.J. Hockenson to fail to make a very completable reception for a TD?
Did the refs cause Stafford to be 10 of 23 for a pitiful 95 yards in the final three quarters of the game? (In fairness to Stafford, his teammates didn't do much to help the cause.)

The Lions got screwed...yes. But they did themselves NO FAVORS.

All I've seen this season is the same boneheaded mistakes & incompetence I've seen out of Lions teams for years on end.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic