Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Shepard Smith OUT at Fox News

A place to discuss national and regional television and radio programming.
bmw

Shepard Smith OUT at Fox News

Post by bmw » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:04 pm

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertai ... topstories
Recently I asked the company to allow me to leave Fox News and begin a new chapter. After requesting that I stay, they graciously obliged. The opportunities afforded this guy from small town Mississippi have been many. It’s been an honor and a privilege to report the news each day to our loyal audience in context and with perspective, without fear or favor. I’ve worked with the most talented, dedicated and focused professionals I know and I’m proud to have anchored their work each day — I will deeply miss them
He had to be one of, if not THE, last of the original anchors from when Fox News first went on the air.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Shepard Smith OUT at Fox News

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:56 pm

You are correct; he was the last surviving member of the original crew.

I miss the version of FNC that was around from the late 90's to mid 00's. The current version of the network is flat out unwatchable 90% of the time.

(I spend extremely little time with MSNBC and CNN as well; for me to watch either of the three major cable "news" networks is a rare event. Actual reporting has taken a distant back seat to punditry.)

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:31 pm

For me, when the network started going downhill was when Alan Colmes left Hannity and Colmes and Hannity went it alone. I agree more often than not with Hannity, but UGH his show is so boring. He drones on and on and on with the same talking points every night. I don't get how he's their highest rated personality, other than maybe just because he's been there the longest.

Bill O'Reilly being fired was definitely a big hit to the network. Tucker Carlson tries, but IMO he doesn't adequately fill O'Reilly's shoes.

My favorite personality currently still at the network is Greg Gutfeld. Not a big fan of The Five but I do watch it on occasion. That, and his Saturday night show (which isn't quite as good as Red Eye was but is still pretty good).

Special Report with Bret Baier is a rock-solid newscast, IMO. I preferred Hume at the helm, but Baier has done a fine job.

On another subject, CNN would do themselves well to completely reboot their network and hire some real journalists. Their ratings are a joke, and MSNBC does a better job at hating Trump than does CNN. There's certainly room on cable news for a down-the-middle, largely news and journalism-driven network.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:57 am

O'Reilly's show stunk for about the last five years of its existence. No good guests. A bunch of think tank no-names debating one another and then sycophants who make weekly appearances and agree with O'Reilly 90 percent of the time.

I do like Brit and Bret.

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:23 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:04 pm
He had to be one of, if not THE, last of the original anchors from when Fox News first went on the air.
Hannity has also been at Fox since its inception.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:41 am

True! But BMW and I were referring to the network's news anchors as opposed to its opinion show hosts.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:33 pm

bmw wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:31 pm
For me, when the network started going downhill was when Alan Colmes left Hannity and Colmes and Hannity went it alone. I agree more often than not with Hannity, but UGH his show is so boring. He drones on and on and on with the same talking points every night. I don't get how he's their highest rated personality, other than maybe just because he's been there the longest.

Bill O'Reilly being fired was definitely a big hit to the network. Tucker Carlson tries, but IMO he doesn't adequately fill O'Reilly's shoes.

My favorite personality currently still at the network is Greg Gutfeld. Not a big fan of The Five but I do watch it on occasion. That, and his Saturday night show (which isn't quite as good as Red Eye was but is still pretty good).

Special Report with Bret Baier is a rock-solid newscast, IMO. I preferred Hume at the helm, but Baier has done a fine job.

On another subject, CNN would do themselves well to completely reboot their network and hire some real journalists. Their ratings are a joke, and MSNBC does a better job at hating Trump than does CNN. There's certainly room on cable news for a down-the-middle, largely news and journalism-driven network.
Jimmy Kimmel once told of how he had interviewed O'Reilly on his program. He had been prepared to go right after him really hard. But in a conversation before the program he decided that O'Reilly was really a decent guy. That his on-air persona was merely a creation for TV. So he decided just to make it just a normal interview like he does with celebrities every night.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic