Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Sean Baligian?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
fuzzpower

Re: Sean Baligian?

Post by fuzzpower » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:45 am

Andy Sipowicz wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:47 pm
He must work cheap because it seems like he's been fired and hired more than any other radio person in town.

I thought that was Jay Towers.

macgoldfan

Post by macgoldfan » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:34 am

He works for State Champs high school sports network as well.

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:50 pm

format this wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:27 am
MrTaterSalad wrote:
MR.AdioFan wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:17 am
New member here. Excited to join y'all. Why did 1130 drop Sean's show? No local sports show in Detroit morning drive is a shame. I don't count 97.1 Also where can you find Sean on Iheart.
You can join me in my monthly quest to beg Cumulus (or whoever ends up owning it) to flip 93.1 to sports. They have the Lions and Michigan State broadcasting rights can could get University of Michigan over the next couple of years to add to it. There are solid personalities out there, like Baligian, who could be back on the air were WDRQ-FM to become a sports station. Alas, we are stuck with the out of-market, low-rated, pure dreck that is GNASH-FM.
You can’t pull off UM and MSU at the same time... wouldn’t they stay on separate entities?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IMG Learfield runs the UM radio network. I'm pretty sure they'd insist on a flagship of their own. Same with MSU.

I have no need for Boring McGraphics, tyvm

GC1939

Post by GC1939 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:55 pm

he is on iheart west michigan the ticket.he did OHL,NDTP

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:35 pm

GC1939 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:55 pm
he is on iheart west michigan the ticket.he did OHL,NDTP
The Ticket in Grand Rapids is Cumulus-owned

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:40 am

Myron Falwell wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:50 pm
format this wrote:
MrTaterSalad wrote:
MR.AdioFan wrote:
New member here. Excited to join y'all. Why did 1130 drop Sean's show? No local sports show in Detroit morning drive is a shame. I don't count 97.1 Also where can you find Sean on Iheart.
You can join me in my monthly quest to beg Cumulus (or whoever ends up owning it) to flip 93.1 to sports. They have the Lions and Michigan State broadcasting rights can could get University of Michigan over the next couple of years to add to it. There are solid personalities out there, like Baligian, who could be back on the air were WDRQ-FM to become a sports station. Alas, we are stuck with the out of-market, low-rated, pure dreck that is GNASH-FM.
You can’t pull off UM and MSU at the same time... wouldn’t they stay on separate entities?

IMG Learfield runs the UM radio network. I'm pretty sure they'd insist on a flagship of their own. Same with MSU.
Pro sports teams are on the same networks all the time. Why would it be dramatically different for a collegiate team and radio contract?

uncleb67

Post by uncleb67 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:15 pm

It does seem like Sean B. is in the “Freelance Sports Radio Host Relocation/Witness Protection Program”. I have frequently seen him around his (and my) hometown, shopping and getting gas, but it’s been a while since I’ve crossed paths with him. Haven’t seen him on Fox2 Sunday sports show lately either.

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:49 pm

MrTaterSalad wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:40 am
Myron Falwell wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:50 pm
format this wrote:
MrTaterSalad wrote:
MR.AdioFan wrote:

Pro sports teams are on the same networks all the time. Why would it be dramatically different for a collegiate team and radio contract?
I betcha neither UM or MSU would want to be on the same station where scheduling conflicts and their rivalry game pose an immediate problem right out of the gate.

I have no need for Boring McGraphics, tyvm

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:54 am

NO THANKS!!!!

Most sports radio programming is garbage. Do we need another FM sports station to listen to the same tired opinions? Absolutely not!

Yeah, let's flip 93.1 to Sports so we can hear all the losers 105.1 put on the air + some rejects from 97.1 / 1130 take phone calls from listeners who live in Section 8 housing or mom's basement who pretend to know what the f&ck they are talking about. Great idea!

If 93.1 were to flip to Sports, their current 2.9 share would look terrific compared to the ratings they would generate with a Sports format.

I'd much prefer the station stick with Country. Shitcan the awful national morning show, replace it with local programming, and the station has potential to make an impact. A 2.9 isn't bad at all given how small 93.1's budget is.

Lickalime

Post by Lickalime » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:40 pm

I worked with Sean 20 years ago at DFN. I was an intern and of all the talent, he was by far the nicest one. He took me to the last game at Tiger Stadium. One of my best memories working at the station.

JLesinski

Post by JLesinski » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:09 pm

Lickalime wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:40 pm
I worked with Sean 20 years ago at DFN. I was an intern and of all the talent, he was by far the nicest one. He took me to the last game at Tiger Stadium. One of my best memories working at the station.
He does seem like a decent dude.

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:03 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:54 am
NO THANKS!!!!

Most sports radio programming is garbage. Do we need another FM sports station to listen to the same tired opinions? Absolutely not!

Yeah, let's flip 93.1 to Sports so we can hear all the losers 105.1 put on the air + some rejects from 97.1 / 1130 take phone calls from listeners who live in Section 8 housing or mom's basement who pretend to know what the f&ck they are talking about. Great idea!

If 93.1 were to flip to Sports, their current 2.9 share would look terrific compared to the ratings they would generate with a Sports format.

I'd much prefer the station stick with Country. Shitcan the awful national morning show, replace it with local programming, and the station has potential to make an impact. A 2.9 isn't bad at all given how small 93.1's budget is.
I would much rather have another sports station than a second station playing bro-country and bubble-gum pop disguised as "country music". There are plenty of fresh faces out there that could be brought in so we don't have the same old people from the past chalking up the same old tired opinions. Though, I would put Balgian on the station as I think he is a solid and well spoken personality.

One station playing Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, Kelsey Balarini, Rascal Flatts and absolute dreck like that is enough. If Cume-less or whoever takes over 93.1 was willing to go off the beat and path play artists like Ashley Monroe, Jason Isbell, Kacey Musgraves, Margo Price, Sturgill Simpson, Turnpike Troubadours, etc. than I'd listen. But we don't need another fake country outlet as 99.5 does that just fine. At least they manage to be live and local all day and on the weekends.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:07 am

The Lions could move over from WJR. They would need either the Tigers or Red Wings to really make an impact on 97.1. The old 105.1 only had the Pistons, the fourth team of the major sports.

Detroit does have too many country stations, but this and 99.5 are the only ones actually targeting the market. W4 in Ann Arbor probably has a 0.3 at most, due to the western suburbs. 95.9 Windsor and CFCO likely draw hash marks. The southern edge of the market has K100, and northern Macomb can get 107.1 Port Huron. Of course, these stations do not subscribe so we will never know for sure.

I don’t see Cumulus changing formats soon.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:16 am

There are about 8 shares to support Country music in this market; two stations is not one too many.

Sports radio listenership is at its worst level in this town in over a decade. Flipping a major FM station to that format right now would be utter stupidity.

And if anyone thinks the Lions single-handedly (or a Lions - shitty Tigers team combo) would be able to make a new sports radio station automatically successful, you haven't been paying attention for the past 25 years.

Team 1270 had the Lions, and the Tigers, and the Wings and had absolutely dreadful ratings until the Tigers' 2006 playoff run.

wtfdetroit

Post by wtfdetroit » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:28 pm

Do we need a better sports station? Yes. Do we need another sports station? Nope, been there and done that with 105.1. So many good national shows to listen too that listening to the local guys is a waste of time.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic